Summer runs on the Olympic Peninsula

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Jonathan Tachell, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Jonathan Tachell

Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Media:
    If a guy had to pick a river on the olympic peninsula in mid August to concentrate on for summer runs what would be your pick? Im kinda new to the summer run game on the olympic peninsula and will be up that way fishing the salt but am thinking about taking a day or two to swing for some steelhead too. PM's are always welcomed.:)

Thanks guys

2. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

Media:
    So if I hand you some fish what's in it for me.... or better yet the fish? You going to donate some money to WSC, or the Native fish society? Work on some habitat restoration? ...

scott-s4 and Jonathan Stumpf like this.
  3. Thomas Williams

Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Id be willing to take you to a great summer run spot if you are willing to take me fishing in the salt. I have yet to chase any salmon in the sound. Do you have a pontoon? We would be floating about 10 miles of river.

4. Jonathan Tachell

Media:
    Yeah Thomas I have a pontoon and would be down to go do a float,that would be a blast. As for the salt yeah I could get you out there for sure and see if we can't stick a couple salmon. constructeur I have volunteered and done habitat restoration and am active in keeping up to date on whats going on in fishing politics. As far as donating money to WSC I have yet to do so as I do agree with there overall goal I do not agree with all of there stances on certain issues. If you don't want to share any water with me thats fine, I totally understand. No need to assume that I am some free loader looking for someones honey hole who does not give anything back to the angling comunity as it is rather insulting. I guess I should just stay out of the steelhead forum as it seems its not the place to ask broad non specific questions about steelhead.

5. Thomas Williams

Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Sounds good Jonathan! Ill pm you the details and we can arrange the float. Ill be camping this week out on the coast but after thursday I will be off for another 10 days so anytime works for me.

6. Jonathan Tachell

Media:
    Ok sounds good.

7. shawn k

shawn k Member

Not to bust your balls but all of the rivers have summer steelhead in them right now. Get off your ass and just go fishing. It took me several years to figure out where and when to fish on the OP. Just when i think I have it dialed it all changes. The lower Hoh is about the color it is in the winter right now so I would employ winter tactics. Most of the steelhead are going to be below 101. The Sol Duc Bogie and Calawah all are low and clear. There's fish in all of them. Just need to figure out where you want to fish. hint Google earth.

8. Jonathan Tachell

Media:
    Thanks shawn. I know all those rivers have a run of summer steelhead, however some have quite a few more than others. As for getting off my ass and going fishing, I do go fish as much as possible with a full time job mixed in. However without having tons of spare time on my hands and a unlimited amount of money to make the trip to the OP every weekend, I have yet to learn a lot about it, especially the summer run game. Thank you for the info though.

9. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

Nice fish you posted on FB. Looks like you found your way.

Leland.

10. shawn k

shawn k Member

The bogie has the most fish and the most people.

11. PfleugerPhister

PfleugerPhister Active Member

Way to jump to conclusions and sound like a tool. It's not like he was asking for coordinates, besides, you're in Seattle and probably get over there 3 times a year, so it's not like he'd be crowding you. I'm sure you and him could both fish at your secrect spot, the Calawah ponds. Thank you for contributing nothing. Oh wait, I'm sure your job as steelhead buck fluffer counts as a significant contribution. Just be sure to save some of that sweet steel cream for the fish and not be too greedy.

12. constructeur

Media:
    Oh man, I've really learned my lesson. I'll never tell another grown man to find/work for his own fish ever again.

13. Pattick

Pattick Member

Media:
    He didn't ask you to "hand him fish" or give him GPS coordinates, he asked for the name of a river... He would still have to search out holes and pools and find access himself.

14. PfleugerPhister

PfleugerPhister Active Member

Do I detect sarcasm? Maybe if you didn't sound like a dick...
    For christs sake, we're talking about a dozen rivers or better, not even including Hood Canal stuff and you get all butt hurt. Maybe instead of attacking, you give an answer so general it answers the question but doesn't really give any info. For all you know, this guy is a 13 year old kid just getting started, you know, like the ones caged up in your basement. He feels helped out, you don't hand over any "for your eyes only" shit, and maybe you use the opportunity to recruit a new steelhead cream freak

troutpounder likes this.
  15. Blktailhunter

Blktailhunter Active Member

Good advice. I advise you follow it.

16. constructeur

Media:
    Oh, I recon I'll continue to post whatever I want, just the same as you. ;)

17. Dan Cuomo

Dan Cuomo Active Member

Honestly... we are just getting weirder by the day. The man is simply asking for some general info that anyone can get by reading a book or two, checking some reports, Google has lots of beta. He thought he'd also access this forum, which makes sense to me. We could be a lot nicer. I was planning a trip to Vancouver Island, BC, and asked for some very general info on my first post in BC Flyfishing. Their members were helpful, forthcoming, and kind. I got lots of feedback and encouragement, and nobody inferred that I was trolling for their secret spot. Let's cool the sarcasm? It justs comes off as snotty. "Think twice. Say nothing." - Chinese Proverb.

Steffan Brown likes this.
  18. 1morecast

1morecast Active Member

Media:
    I agree I have been fishing Vancouver Island for Afew years and always found the Canucks to be friendly and more then willing to share info.

19. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Media:
    Home Page:
    Maybe everyone cooling down and enjoying our nice weather would be good advice. My sugestion is that if you do not have any positive input on a thread you move on to one that you do. If you find that you can't post positive advice on threads then maybe you should turn the computer off and go fish.

20. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

I don't visit the steelhead forum that often. But when I do, I always see some seriously aggro shit. Cracks me up. Wish I could help you Jonathan. I'll be out there myself this weekend searching around a little river.