Summer Sausage Seasoning

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Slipstream, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Slipstream

Slipstream Active Member

I am looking for a recipe for seasoning summer sausage. I tried the search, but didn't come up with anything. Does anyone have a recipe they wouldn't mind sharing? The one I'm currently using is kind of bland. Usually I'm using 50/50 mix of goose/pork in small batches (5lbs). Thanks in advance SS

2. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

I can't answer your question directly but I can make a serious recommendation for all of your seasoning needs. Go to Penzeys.com and order their catalog. The stuff they sell is light years ahead of the products available in the supermart. We both love to cook and try new flavors and usually order several hundred dollars worth of Penzeys spices over the course of the year. We buy in small bulk lots and freeze all but the little we keep in the spice cabinet.

The catalogs are free and the recipes alone are worth asking for. You will get some good ideas on how to season and what to season with and in the end will get better results than you imagined.

Enjoy, Ive

3. Chef

Chef New Member

keep it true: salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, hungarian paprika..... and personally... I like to make a fresh curry blend, saute it with some sliced garlic, and add that into the sausages. We make tons of sausage at work and I just love a damn good sauage.

4. ribka

ribka Active Member

Pm and can forward a recipe.
    I make a lot of sausage every year from game I have harvested.

I usuallly mix 30% pork shoulder for game meat. Can pick up pork shoulder cheap when they have sales