Summer Steel Caught today

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by TallFlyGuy, Jul 14, 2006.

1. TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Vancouver, WA.
    Ratings: +44 / 0
    Hooked up with one nice litter chrome Summer run today.

Caught on a Q-Tip Tube Fly with my new TFO 6wt Spey rod. This rod and I are bonding nicely!!
  2. BigBill Banned or Parked

Ratings: +0 / 0
    Is it common for steelhead to bleed so profusely from the lip after being caught? I noticed in a couple of your recent pics the fish appeared like this.

Being new to steelhead fishing, and a c & r fisherman, I'm wondering if this is a sign of certain death for the fish. I know if that were a rainbow it would be dead, and you should most definitely keep it if regs permit. I'm assuming since steelhead have gills, duh, that dripping blood from the mouth is probably not a good thing. So, if I am fortunate enough to hook into a steelie, and unfortunate to land it without harming it, and the mouth is all bloodied up, should I keep it?

Bill
  3. Steelie Mike Active Member

Camas, WA
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    The fish was also probably wacked over the head a couple of times. Any hatchery fish should be bonked regardless if you want to eat it or not. I guarantee there is a friend out there that would love some fresh fish.
  4. TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Vancouver, WA.
    Ratings: +44 / 0
    BigBill,

I have lost a ton of fish this year, and among other things, I am at fault for being timid with my hook set. Just raising the rod and hoping it's hooked, does not work with steelhead. It does if the takes are vicious, but as of late the steelhead are just grabbing the fly and all you feel is slight tension on your line. The last two fish I caught I gave them the Jimmy Houston hookset. It drove the barb deep into the lips Causing it to bleed a little. I did bonk it, but if I would of let this one go, it would of survived just fine.
  5. BigBill Banned or Parked

There are two schools of thought on whether to release or bonk hatchery steelhead, I'm of the other one. Technically, I dont belong to either as I have yet to catch any at all. But when I do, I will release it assuming I get it in without harming it. And, I respect your right to bonk away. :thumb:
  6. BigBill Banned or Parked

Seems like you have landed a ton too! Nice job. FYI, I wasn't at all trying to attack you for harming the "poor little steelhead," lol. I was honestly just trying to get information so I can make the right decision for myself once the time comes. When I reread my original post I could see the potential for it coming accross as a passive aggressive attack, sorry if things somehow got misconstrewed,
    Bill

7. TomB Active Member

seattle,wa
    Ratings: +58 / 0
    bigbill- which school of though suggests releasing hatchery fish and what are the intentions of that school of thought? Hatchery fish are planted purely for the benefit of anglers. They have zero positive environmental impacts and many many negative. Why would you release one?
    -Tom
  8. Steelie Mike Active Member

Camas, WA
    Tom I disagree, a dead hatchery carcass on the side of the river is good for our invertebrate friends as well as other acquatic animals and mammals. That is why I find it my duty to go out and catch as many as possible. Let the carnage begin.
  9. Panhandle Active Member

Selkirk Mountains, Idaho Panhandle
    Ratings: +23 / 0
    Tom, you just said it. "purely for the pleasure of anglers". For most of us, if hatchery fish didn't exist, there would be no steelhead to fish for. I'm not willing to wait decades....are you? Multiple use in full effect:ray1:
  10. BigBill Banned or Parked

If I were going to eat it, I would keep it. I can count on one hand the number of fish I have kept the entire time I have fly fished. Believe it or not I don't really care for the taste of fish too much, and I especially don't like to clean and prepare them. I just like to catch them. I release them so that other people can have fun catching them.
  11. Dave Boyle Active Member

Seattle, Wa
    Ratings: +27 / 0
    Nice fish Bill!!!

My recently too got a 6 wt TFO and I'm wondering what line would be good to match up with it. I have a Sage 5 wt lspey line and went down to my local beach to check it out. It banged out 100' o/head casts no bother (well, when my timing was right :). You mention that it flips tips really well too. I'd like to use this rod for the rivers also and I'm wondering if you or anyone else for that matter can point me in the right direction, perhaps a trip or two to Aarons Saturday clinic is in order? Any info or insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave
  12. inland Active Member

Ratings: +45 / 0
    SteelieMike,

If I am reading you correctly...what type of sporting ethic are you encouraging? Waste wildlife?

The more you kill, the more you punch your card, the better their numbers look for success. Giving them data to keep the hatcheries going. You are therefore supporting the very thing you wish to eliminate.

If you are killing without punching the card then you are poaching.

If you really hate the hatcheries that badly then stop fishing for hatchery steelhead. Case in point is that wild springer steelhead you pasted all over the web...by even fishing for the few remnant wild fish you are partaking of the hatchery fish season. The only reason the EF is even open for fishing.

Whether we like it or not we are likely going to be forever linked to hatcheries. I do enjoy the option of killing a fish once in a while. And the opportunities to by-catch wild fish while pursuing hatchery fish.

William
  13. Steelie Mike Active Member

Camas, WA
    William I guess you cannot take a joke. Then again if you read my first message I mentioned giving the fish away. If you ever caught a steelhead and gutted it on the side of the river then you would understand that that what you waste is someone else’s fortune. Take a basic Biology class and you will understand that that dead fish on the side of the river is extra biomass for that ecosystem. That is what I was referring to.

I caught that fish in a SWW stream that I have never caught a summer native in. Hell I have never even seen a native in that river until this year. Shit I have caught 30 steelhead in that river over the last five years and none of them were native. So yes I will fish for the two natives that swim through my waters and be proud of the fact that I have just caught a remnant of what we should have in abundance. The fact of the matter is if you do not like fish pics then do not look at them. I got a lot more that I can post if that one offends you.:cool:

I do not hate hatcheries. Hatcheries will never go away because there is too much of an economy based around them. Both local economies and Fish and Wildlife would go out of business if there were no fish to be taken. The best thing we can do is support the environment and local ecosystems and do out best to prevent hatchery fish to spawn with what natives are left. Hence bonk the hatchery fish that are in our rivers and streams. Hatchery fish have a God given right to butter and garlic, in some cases a light dill sauce with sour cream and onion.
  14. BigBill Banned or Parked

Don't you guys think wild steelhead have all but gone the way of the dodo? With commerical fishing, tribal netting, logging, deforrestation, river bank errosion, dams, construction/development, poaching and poorly worded, difficult to understand regs, it almost seems naive to think wild steelhead will bounce back. If we catch and kill all the hatchery fish there wont be any steelhead at all. At this point, isnt a steelhead a steelhead? What does the data forecast? Do they actually speculate that there will be a point in time when there are enough natives that humans dont have to manufacture hatcherey fish? To me it sounds like people are using up all the resources HOPING the plan comes together.

Mike: Some food for thought in the non-hatchery steelhead variety :clown: , It's difficult to convey humor via online forums. Sarcasm doesnt translate so well in text format. That being said, could you please expand on your biomass theory? Are you supporting riverside gutting?

Tom: What are the "many many negatives?" Don't you think allowing the fish to go back in the river to possibly be caught again is a pro?

DB: Wrong guy, it's tallflyguy's fish.
  15. inland Active Member

Ratings: +45 / 0
    Mike,

Yeah...thats a funny one.

Um...I never said NOT TO FISH there. I do. But I also realize the only reason it's open is because of the few hatchery summers that return during what is left of the springers. Did I say the photo offended me? Didn't think so.

Bill,

Yes there are still pure wild steelhead in just about every drainage that still supports open access to the ocean.

William
  16. Steelie Mike Active Member

Camas, WA
    Inland the fish was not caught on the EF as you mentioned. It was an early summer on another not so secret river. Tallflyguy tailed it for me somewhere else. I just thought you should know. Thanks for coming out:thumb: .
  17. Steelie Mike Active Member

Camas, WA
    Bill what I meant by increasing the biomass deals with adding an additional food source to the streamside environment. Dead salmon and steelhead carcasses contribute to both the streamside and aquatic ecosystems. The dead fish provide food for the streamside vegetation that helps to keep the river temperature down and prevent erosion. The carcasses also provide food for bears and other mammals, juvenile salmonids, birds and insects. At this point you can apply the local food chain and see who eats what. So yes streamside gutting is good.
  18. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,615 / 0
    Bigbill,

No, I don't think wild steelhead have gone the way of the dodo. There is plenty of evidence of viable wild steelhead populations in western WA. The problem is that they are small and tend to range in number from below the spawning escapement goal to slightly above it. Consequently there are few harvestable (in terms of population surplus production) wild steelhead in most rivers in most years. That is why the regulations require either wild steelhead release, or catch and release seasons on the better populations. Debate continues as to whether harvestable wild steelhead still are available on the OP rivers, but WDFW has decided there are some, and anglers may take one wild steelhead per year from one of those rivers.

Steelhead are a resilient species, and their populations will increase in response to conditions affecting fresh water and marine surival. Populations will persist well into the future, but they will not recover to 1850 population levels because habitat conditions are not going to recover to 1850 levels, nor to 1960 or 1970 levels for that matter. However, sustainable populations can occur at the lower levels supported by present habitat conditions in many rivers. A few may go extinct in smaller river basins, but most won't anytime in the foreseeable future.

Hatcheries will be around as long as there is a demand for harvestable steelhead, as natural populations will not likely ever again support significant harvests due to the combined effects of an increasing human population and decreasing amount of wild steelhead habitat. Keeping hatchery fish up to allowable limits does not threaten the future supply of hatchery steelhead. Hatcheries only need about 5% of the adult steelhead return to meet their broodstock needs, and if the steelhead are in short supply, WDFW closes sections of rivers near the hatchery racks until such time as the broodstock needs are met. You can retain the hatchery steelhead you catch with a clear conscience.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.
  19. Josh Benjamin Member

duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    tallflyguy...nice fish, nice rod, nice photo.
    i'm jealous...hatchery fish, nate, blood, no blood, adipose fine, no adipose fin, dead or alive, whatever.

to everyone else...where did this thread run off to???
    gosh, he's lucky he didn't catch it with a nymph and indicator rig, then the sh_t really would hit the fan. actually no it wouldn't have cuz it was a hatchery brat so it doesn't matter.
    :beathead:
    relax, go fishing.
    :beer2:
  20. troutfanatic A day not spent wasted is.....wasted.

Monroe WA
    I am willing to wait....and I am not even of the generation that F-ed it up for the rest of us.