summer steelhead fishing

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by twohander, Jul 11, 2006.

1. twohander

twohander New Member

hi,

first time poster from lower mainland area of bc..looking for some info on some northern washing rivers you guys can recommend for swinging flies for some summer runs as i don't have much of that around my area unless i make a trip up to the dean or the bulkey. Any info would be much appreciated.

thanks !!

2. Luv2flyfish

Luv2flyfish Another Flyfisherman

Man, if you are anywhere within reason to the Bulkley / Dean this should NOT be a difficult choice to make. You have the Thompson too.... Personally, I'd stick to the rivers that have yet to be destroyed by urban sprawl, wanton mismanagement, dams, destroyed wild stocks, hatcheries, and the all the other "Bennies" of Washington's fisheries. Yeah, you can still find a fish here and there, but......

3. twohander

twohander New Member

dean and buckley is a long ways off from where i am besides bulkley isn't till sept/oct and thompson isn't till oct..i am looking from something to tie me over till then and i don't have anything of the sort except for the chehalis and a couple small streams with such a small runs i'd rather not fish for them.

4. Luv2flyfish

Luv2flyfish Another Flyfisherman

I hear ya - There are a few skagit and skykomish experts on the board. They might be able to get you pointed in the right direction. Further south (1.5 hr from seattle) is the Cowlitz. The Cow is worthy of a spey rod and swung fly. You pretty much have to have a boat on the cowlitz. There are very very limited wading opportunities. There are some great runs and some decent fishing (all hatchery) on the cowlitz. Serenity can only be had if you have a boat though.