Summer steelhead Rondi

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Panhandle, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Dan Soltau

Dan Soltau New Member

Media:
    Trout do not go anywhere, there is no debate of whether they are "in", or not, only the debate if you can catch them or not. Plus, steelhead and pretty much all anadromous fish have a hard enough life as it is, so i figure I wont bother them. But if I did, I surely would not ever grace their presence with an indicator... I would rather catch a 12" trout on a streamer or dry fly that catch a 40" steelhead indicator nymphing any day of the week. I respect the guys who fish dries, streamers, and wets for steelhead immensely, although I do not really share the motive to do that type of fishing right now... And i do bass fish as well.

2. Dan Soltau

Dan Soltau New Member

Media:
    That is because you are a steelhead bum, not a trout bum! I have tried all the steelheading, and it does not interest me like trout fishing does, bottom line.

3. tflatso

tflatso Guest

Fussy bunch! I like trout in the winter when the rivers are all blown out and don't mind catching the occassionaly 20+ incher. However, there is nothing like stealhead. I catch them all summer long in the area but I hate that half-hour drive to get there - it's sooo long:eek: I have fished a few of the SWerners and didn't get a tug or hook-up but there is some nice looking waters down there. The Cow seems to be overrun but apparently some folks like that. My two cents.

4. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Media:
    Home Page:
    Quote of the year. ARE YOU FUCKING NUTZ DUDE? Common...

5. Coach Duff

Coach Duff Banned or Parked

Media:
    Let's not forget about the Sky opening week of summer and it's 3 salt hatchery brutes. I've caught em at 14, 15, 17, 17 pounds from June 2 to June 9th in different years. I caught one on my buddy Chris West's brand new spey rod showing him how to cast. That went over real well. It went over even better when I bonked that baby and carried it into the Avid Angler in a plastic bag and slapped it on the counter. I thought people were going to faint. Good times. They are chrome, hot, aggressive and big. I've been told that only a couple hundred of them come back and some years you can't get at them, (especially when you live in Hawaii bawling: ) but that is an option.

6. Tony the Trout

Tony the Trout Member

Amen brother! I've caught steelies, and I still prefer to chase the trout. 14' spey rod!? why not use a telephone pole. I'll take a 24" trout on a 5wt. thank you very much.

7. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    Dan, those statements make me believe you have never steehead fished, or at least caught one on the swing. Saying that you would rather fish for trout than steelhead is like saying, "I just want to snuggle, is that alright?"

8. Jergens

Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Media:
    Home Page:
    "You know how i know you're ...?" - 40 year old virgin

Have ya ever caught one? and i dont mean a hatchery rasied pond monkey on the snoqualmie but one with a legit adipose fin and maybe some sea lice?

9. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

Oh man! This is a slippery slope.....I am going to duck and cover......:hmmm:

10. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    Ya Jergens, that was inappropriate. I'm sure there are individuals that have different sexual preferences on this baord. An apology, or deletion would be prudent.

11. Dan Soltau

Dan Soltau New Member

Media:
    I kid you not, and I am not fucking nuts, maybe a little but not enough to chase any fish with an idicator on my line.
    BTW, I have caught three steelhead, two on dries and one nymphing. Only one was wild though... You guys act like I have insulted them by not fishing for them, when in reality it is exactly the opposite.

Panhandle and jergens,
    I am no virgin, steelhead or women, so think before you speak and realize that some people might prefer women and fish who have not had a long, rough journey that has left them worn out and battered. ;)

12. HauntedByWaters

Yeah right that is steelhead in a nutshell :rolleyes:

13. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Panhandle,

Trout v. steelhead, and indicators v. swing aside, have you decided on a time and location?

Sg

14. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    Salmo. I'm going to be on the Kalama first weeknd of May only because my wife has a payed buisness trip there. I know there won't be many targetable summer then, but I just won't to stretch out my 14 footer. So id anyone is interested, let me know. I'll leave it up to one of you who knows better and I'll be there. Just don't do it September and on... I'm glued to the Clearwater then. Actually, August on the Klick would be my preference.

15. Jergens

Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Media:
    Home Page:
    It's called experienced.

3 steelhead is like playing the just the tip, just for a second, just to see how it feels game!:cool: You're probably going to have to change your ideas towards women in Montana brother.

Now sea-run browns, that would be a brown worth getting excited about!

One day you will succumb to the steelhead peer pressure! also, when is your chartruse pram going to be done?

16. Dan Soltau

Dan Soltau New Member

Media:
    I fear your right about the women in montana... Hopefully in bozeman I can still have some fun, maybe some day I will devote my life to steelheading, but not now. I shall remain in pursuit of trout the size of steelhead with a visual take My dream fish will remain river dwelling, and my dream woman is somewhere east texas right now :cool:

17. Coach Duff

Coach Duff Banned or Parked

Media:
    Dan, you are what 18 years old? Where are you meeting these worn out women, at the Dairy Queen? Buying them a Blizzard shaken not stirred? And steelhead are worn out from the long journey? Come on over to the West side and hook a wild, big shouldered 15 pound chrome rocket a couple of miles from the ocean on a 7 weight on the swing and then talk your bootcamp nonsense. If steelheading was so blase, there wouldn't be a million rods from Montanna every spring, summer and fall all over Idaho, Oregon, Washington northern Cali and BC chasing them. But then again you catch "fish of a lifetime" commonly for us mortal anglers don't you? That means you are sticking 15-20 pound searun rainbows in Montanna huh? I'll take one of my three hot, pissed off 18-20 pound wild buck steelhead on the swing over the biggest brown trout you've ever landed on your 5 or 6 weight. Trout are amazing game fish and flyfishing for them is incredible. Telling guys with 30-40 years of experience fishing for both that trout are a step above shows us you just haven't really fished for steel much. Coach

18. HauntedByWaters

Steelhead vs. Trout is really quite simple:

It is just like women say, "The smaller the better." errrrr wait a second....

19. Dan Soltau

Dan Soltau New Member

Media:
    that is a poor comparison, how about black marlin vs. steelhead? Whaat nooow?

20. Dan Soltau

Dan Soltau New Member

Media:
    Wow, you really cant take a joke. Considering all I fish is a seven weight with type seven lines and flies that are much bigger than steelhead stuff, youre being ridiculous. Also, I will mention that I am still yet to catch a brown of epic proportions, just like most are yet to catch a steelhead that tops the 30 lb mark. I figure a 15 or 20 lb streamer caught brown equals a 30 lb steelhead, but you cannot directly compare them as they are not on the same level. God damn, argueing with steelhead bums from a trout guys point of veiw is an uphill battle full of closed minded duels... I shant have to remind you there are millions of rods from around the world that come in to see and fish in and around yellowstone, not just from the pacific northwest.