Summer Steelhead Timing??

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Mike Colagrossi, May 3, 2004.

1. Mike Colagrossi

Mike Colagrossi Whammo!

Media:
    Home Page:
    Well I do not know about the rest of you but I am already looking forward to June so I can start attacking the steelies again on our westside rivers. I usually spend most my summers as a trout bum and don't hit steelhead until aug/sept/oct but was wondering when you guys actually see the rivers start to get fish in them?

I guess maybe it just seems June is a little early? But I don't know so that is why I am asking I guess! I usually fish the snoqualmie/skykomish so any advice on timing would be great!!

Tight Lines,

Mike

2. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:
    There are already some Summer-Runs on the Olympic Peninsula Rivers, have been for a few weeks. They should be fishable through June or so- depending on the rediculously low water we have now- and then they are fishable through the autumn, september through october, and a little later sometimes.( also depending on water then).

3. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Yup, agree with Bob. Have had in long years past when some rivers were year around fishing, that we'd hit summerruns with springers coming in. Have caught quite a few in more recent years first of June when the rivers opened. But the river levels can put some off since access to some of the lower rivers is cut off. I know a few rivers I'll fish for summerruns, you can't float it, barely by pontoon even (you'll be dragging most of the time). But have caught them during fathers day weekend.

4. Mike Colagrossi

Mike Colagrossi Whammo!

Media:
    Home Page:
    Hey Bob,

Thanks for the reply and thanks again for stopping by our camp that one night! We are going to make another trip out there in June/July and will let you know where we will be staying if you want to swing by again.

Mike

5. Steve Buckner

Steve Buckner Mother Nature's Son

Media:
    Home Page:
    We're already seeing summer fish on the Cowlitz and the Kalama, a few have been around for about a month. River levels are much lower this season at this time of year than in past years...Why wait till' June? (there are many rivers already open for fishing)

Steve Buckner
    www.northwestflyfisherman.com

6. Brian Simonseth

Brian Simonseth Banned or Parked

Yep Summer's don't show (North Puget Sound Rivers) till Sept. HeHeHe:rolleyes

7. Mike Colagrossi

Mike Colagrossi Whammo!

Media:
    Home Page:
    Thanks Skinny! Well I guess June is mostly because I live in North Bend and the Snoqualmie opens June 1 ( I believe) so it is a really easy trip after or before work. I would like to fish some other river like the Kalama or Cow but do not have much knowledge of that water plus the drive is much longer obviously.

Thanks again and it's time to start tying!

Mike