Summer Steelhead

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by greaseliner, Feb 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FishPirate

FishPirate New Member

Media:
    Leland,

The Salmon River fishery between Stanley and Challis that you are referring to is LARGELY a hatchery fishery (same with the Pahsimeroi), and most of the folks are catch and release fishermen. Have you ever fished it?

By the way, many of the steelhead that you released in October and November in the Snake didn't live long enough to spawn. . .

2. keepemwild

keepemwild Guest

Bob,
    Great question. Rather than suggesting rules for the entire region, I'll just stick to the Ronde, Clearwater and Salmon for now (rivers which I am far more familiar with). Personally, I think it would be great to see these rivers close down to all fishing after Dec 31st. After this date, these fish should be left alone to do their spring spawning. Of course, it would be great to see the federal government enforce the Endangered Species Act and Clean Water Act in the Snake River Basin. But until that time I think we, as thoughtful fly anglers, ought to resist any temptations to fish for these summer runs in the spring. Having gone to college in Pullman and having lived in Ketchum, ID for awhile, I've grown very attached to these rivers and their fish. In regards to an earlier post, I have seen what goes on in the Stanley Basin during the spring. It's sickening. Fortunately, the vast majority of fisherman and guides from Ketchum and the surrounding area don't partake in it. There are a few bad eggs around there though can't resist the temptation and that is unfortunate. Trust me, they know how I feel about it.

keepemwild - the sometimes confrontational, wild fish loving, steelhead fly angling addict, that really just wants this great resource to be protected for future generations to enjoy

3. Mike Colagrossi

Mike Colagrossi Whammo!

Media:
    Home Page:
    Here Here Pete,

Mike

4. keepemwild

keepemwild Guest

Fishpirate,

What this really comes down to I guess is respect for these fish. We get a chance to fish for them in the fall when our sport has less of an impact (put simply: these fish can handle being caught and released in the fall when thier energy levels are high unlike the spring when thier energy levels have been nearly depleted). The spring is their time to complete their right of spawning. We live in an area with an abundance of fishing opportunities. There are plenty of other places we can go fish and have a great time where the fish aren't busy trying to spawn. Some of us still put the fish above our fishing in our list of priorities. I hope others will do the same.

5. BOBLAWLESS

BOBLAWLESS New Member

I just hate it when I ask six questions and only get one response.

Bob, the Shortchanged:beathead

6. keepemwild

keepemwild Guest

I told you what I thought would be good regs for rivers that I am familiar with. No fishing after Dec 31st on the Clearwater, Ronde and Salmon rivers. I guess you could say that I propose that the Snake River between its confluence with the Columbia R. and the Hells Canyon Snake River project, as well as the Clearwater, Ronde and Salmon, be closed from Dec 31st to June 1st in order to protect endangered, wild steelhead during their spawning period. As far as the Methow goes, the WDFW has already done the right thing - they closed it in December to protect spawning steelhead. All of the other upper Columbia River tribs should be closed after Dec 31st as well.

Spell out how to tell the difference b/t winter and summer run fish. Well on the Clearwater, Ronde and Salmon that's an easy one - there are no winter run fish. What we have there in the spring are summer fish that overwinter after migrating 300 miles from the ocean. When water temps begin to rise in the spring these fish start kickin up gravel and commence spawning.

As far as Ryan and his famous pics go, I don't know what to think. I don't know anything about him or those pics. If he was knowingly fishing the Methow during the spring for spawning steelhead than he should be ashamed of himself. Maybe you should ask the guy who brought them to our attention earlier what he thinks.

Are you from Idaho? - no, not originally at least. Born and raised on the westside, went to college in Pullman, now live in Ketchum, ID.

Hope this covers it. Let me know if there's more I can answer.

7. luv2fly2

luv2fly2 Active Member

interesting post with some good info. i am wondering why steelhead are endangered if the runs are near record and the limit is raised from 2 to 3 per day. there seems to be enough fish to go around.

8. keepemwild

keepemwild Guest

Good question. The answer is that we have a larger than average return of hatchery steelhead. The hatcheries don't need all of the fish for their propagation programs so they allow folks to bonk the left overs. Wild steelhead, on the other hand, aren't recovering. Unfortunately, their numbers continue to decline. This is a direct result of federal and state agencies and our elected officials refusal to responsibly address the issue of declining wild fish stocks in the Columbia/Snake River Basin. As long as large numbers of hatchery fish return, it gives the general public the perception that there isn't a problem. The fact of the matter is that there is a huge problem. Hatcheries aren't the answer to preserving Northwest anadromous fish runs. If we're going to save these great fish we need real solutions that invest in a future that fosters a healthy economy and healthy wild fish runs in addition to respecting our environmental laws and treaties with Native American tribes.

I'm preaching to the choir here. Luv2fly2's question is one that I hear often and I just felt the need to give a good answer. Thanks to all those who put their time in for our wild fish and know when it's time to pack it up and fish somewhere else where the fish aren't busy trying to spawn.

9. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

Media:
    anybody know where some big "red" flats are, gotta a client that needs a steelie fix for his new 5wt. gonna try 6x this time. and his new super heavyduty nylon net with grippers. ill post pics}( thanks... bhudda hey Pat, nice pis of steel from the Rhonde ya ripper':p :smokin im kiddin' Patty god, that ryan guy sure has a lot of illegal pics of fish, they dont look a lick over 18 yrs old. id definitely have to say that is fishings finest smut:9 Pete call me!

10. pwoens

pwoens Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Dont know what I was thinking, besides "get some"!!!! hahahaha Oh ya, headin down there again this coming weekend, anyone want to tag along? Might hit the southfork also?? Maybe camp out?? Who knows, as long as I catch some medal??

Oh ya...the link to Ryan's website followed by unwarranted comments were a bit trashy and tasteless.

Everyone needs to change their panties and go fishing...bust out of the cabin my friends!!!

~Patrick ><>

11. keepemwild

keepemwild Guest

"Everyone needs to change their panties and go fishing..."

Maybe you need to change your ethics. Real steelhead fly anglers that care about fish have a word to describe guys like you...it's "slut". What is it about you? Do you have some sort of fetish with getting milt on your hands or do you just think dark fish look cooler in your photo album? It's obvious that a tight line is more important to you than our fish. But hey, go ahead and keep denying it. Maybe you're one of those guys thinks "hey, I donated some cash to fisheries conservation this year, I deserve to wade around in spawning gravel and harrass these fish while their busy spawning." You're what's trashy and tasteless. I hope you slip on a rock you greedy !#$hole.

12. pwoens

pwoens Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Sticks and Stones, my friend..sticks and stones.

Anytime you want to sit down and discuss this situation, let me know.

I am now turning the other cheek...may I have another

EDIT: I guess I should clarify/point out a few things here:

#1: My knowledge of winter/summer fish differences was obviously not that of yours. I am still new to this steelheading game and have yet to reach a knowledge level of most others.

#2: If someone is concerned about "exhausted" fish then why do they fish for them at all? Every time you play a fish, wether it be summer or winter, you take away from their energy. If someone feels as deeply about these fish as they state they do, then why fish for them at all? They should be out their educating us uneducated, what was the word you used, oh ya, #&!holes about these issues? I wouldnt mind learning anything and everything I can...thats why I joined this site...to further my knowledge. No one has ever said "you cant fish the columbia system system after Decemeber because...." of these following reasons?

#3: actually I dont even care to go on at this point.

~Patrick ><>

13. Chris Scoones

Chris Scoones Administrator Staff Member

Media:
  14. BOBLAWLESS

BOBLAWLESS New Member

Keepemwild---
    I don't know what your plan is but you are just making a lead fart out of all you say. The people you are attacking on this site are much loved; they are family. Ryan is a world wide angler and he is one of the best fishermen we have. Powens owns this site so to speak; his humor is without equal and his morals are immaculate. He is a deep believer in Christianity and pratices what he preaches. If you knew him as I do, you would never say these things and it hurts me to hear what you have said.
    Chris: I feel this post has run its course and should be closed. Also, the compatability of keepemwild with this forum is an issue that needs to be addressed.
    Bob, the this Makes Me Sad.:(

15. luv2fly2

luv2fly2 Active Member

one last question, are there really any wild steelhead left on inland waters. i dont think so, but that is my dim opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.