Summer wading shoes

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Billy McFly, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Billy McFly Active Member

Edmonds WA
    Ratings: +63 / 0
    I spent a few days last week exploring some creeks in the north cascades wearing Teva sandals and shorts. I wasn't cold at all, in fact is was refreshing on a hot day.

The problems arise on the scramble to and from the creek with all the pebbles, sand and crap I get in my shoes. I need something that will drain well and dry fairly quick but not let the crap in.

What do you guys use?
  2. steelydan Newb seeking wisdom

Sammamish WA
    Ratings: +28 / 0
    I used to use Tevas and still like them except for stubbing my toes and gravel getting in.
    I bought a pair of Simms Neoprene socks and wear them under my wading boots.
    Better grip and protection and much cooler than waders.
    I would still like some Simms wading shoes to wear without the socks but don't have the $90 burning a hole.
  3. funfisher Fish On!

Suquamish, WA
    Ratings: +24 / 1
    Go to Amazon.com and search for Teva "Churn" water shoes. I recently bought a pair and they are great for wet wading. Wear a pair of polyester socks or Simms 1mm neoprene wading liners and you are good to go.
  4. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,262 / 1
    Another vote for neoprene gators and wearing your wading boots. Better ankle support and foot protection then sandals.
  5. Chris Selvar Member

Kent
    Ratings: +33 / 0
    I've always used a good pair of old running shoes... usually have lots of vents to keep your feet cool, which also drain water well. you will get some sand in there but not bad, they normally dry out pretty fast and are great for a long walk to the river or creek
    Eyejuggler and triploidjunkie like this.
  6. Billy McFly Active Member

Edmonds WA
    Ratings: +63 / 0
    Maybe the combo of old running shoes and neoprene gators......

Thanks again guys
  7. Peyton00 Active Member

Puyallup, Wa.
    Ratings: +293 / 0
    I wear a closed toe wading shoe. I also use a neoprene sock sold for cycling.
  8. totallycustom Member

Gig Harbor
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    I've wet waded nearly my whole life almost year 'round. I have always wore hiking boots. You want support that they offer in the water, just like other wading boots. Sandals are good for swimming on the beach or boating but are not good for serious wading.
  9. Chris Selvar Member

Kent
    Ratings: +33 / 0
    Call me weird but I go barefoot in old running shoes... just easier without wet socks or booties to deal with, old shoes will be so broken-in and worn that they wont give you blisters. I've been doing it for 2 years now, the best part when I'm done i just throw them in the back of my truck where they stay until the next time I go fishing!
  10. whalenblue Member

North Carolina
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    Just got back from a week in Yellowstone and wet waded with a pair of the Simms Streamtread Sandals. Didn't line the $90 tag, but quickly got over it - perfect for small/medium creeks like the Lamar and Soda Butte. Good exit holes to let gravel out. Really light and can walk for miles in them.
  11. tinman207 Active Member

Ratings: +111 / 0
    I second the use of wading boots or hiking boots. I used to wear sandals a lot, until last summer when I took a bad fall off some slippery rocks because of my inadequate sandals, and literally destroyed my big toe. I had to have a couple surgeries to get it pinned back together.
    I have a friend who wears Techamphibian shoes with neoprene socks, and he says they are outstanding for hiking and wading, though he only wears the neoprene sock when he is wading. Sounds like the sock is critical to keeping out the gravel too.
  12. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Ratings: +370 / 0
    I just bought a pair of Skechers closed-toe sandals (Safaris, I think?) from Sears mail-order.

I've been using an old pair of Tevas for summer wading on saltwater beaches but there isn't much protection.

The Skechers have a hard rubber toecap and more side protection too. I've used them a couple times so far and am pleased. I also liked the on-sale $27 price! I probably wouldn't wear them where there's lots of really rough rocky bottom but for beaches they're working out well even though they don't dry very quickly.
  13. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,659 / 0
    I tried sandals once. Went back to tennies. I couldn't put up with all the rocks between my feet and the soles.
  14. 9iron Member

Ratings: +22 / 0
    I wore Simms Keen River sandals for a few seasons, they were great. Felt sole, comfortable, good support (yeah, a few rocks from time to time). I was really bummed when I went to buy another pair and they were out of production. Can't find decent felt soled sandals anywhere......
  15. David Loy Senior Moment

Wolf Bay
    Ratings: +319 / 2
    I have a pair of the Orvis Wet Wading shoes.
    http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=28xa

28XAVF.jpg
    They seem well made but I haven't used them, yet.
    I recently also got a pair of Keen Newports. They look a lot like the Simms Wading sandals above. Haven't used them yet either. I'd hike in the Keens unless it was a long or tough hike. I'd stick the Orvis shoes in a day pack, in a plastic bag on the return trip.
  16. Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Yakima, WA
    Ratings: +314 / 0
    Neoprene socks and your normal wading boots
  17. Randall Clark Active Member

Orygun
    Ratings: +185 / 0
    yet another vote for your standard wading boots with neoprene socks. I'll add that once I started using gaiters to help keep out debris, my enjoyment level increased even more.

I actually have an old pair of Dan Bailey lightweight boots that work great for this. I swapped out the insoles with more of a gel-running type insole and that really made a difference in overall comfort. They're a touch too small to wear with waders, but perfect for wet wading.
  18. Gary Knowels Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +401 / 0
    I bought a pair of these secondhand at a garage sale and really like them for wet wading. I wish the shoe here high top to have ankle support and the laces won't stay tied with the regular bow, you have to double knot them down really tight. They are starting to wear out a little but they've seen a lot of use.