Summer weight rod advice.

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Sloan Craven, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Sloan Craven

Sloan Craven Active Member

Media:
    Hey all. I've been looking at rods I can't afford and arriving at some sort of a dilemma. I currently own a 15' 10 weight and a fellow board member said he would build me an 8Wt. I was thinking about a lighter underhand style casting rod to add to the collection. What I have really been thinking hard about was the Sage 6126-3. I am told that this rod is not really a 6 weight but actually performs best with a 7 weight medium to short tip line. Does any one have any input on this? Or have a favorite lighter weight spey rod?

2. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

Media:
    i am looking at this rod really hard as well... will be interesting to see some of the responses here...
    I have used to the 6wt a little bit down on the G.R. but dont know if it is versatile enough for me...

3. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    I just picked up the Beulah 11foot 6inch 5/6/7. Sweet rod. Built on a Bob Meiser designed blank. Search Beulah rods on the internet. Retail is $340 I think. They also sell blanks for those of you who swing that way :rolleyes:

4. Jim Fitz

Jim Fitz Member

Media:
    Likewise, I was thinking Bob himself sold blanks in the same length as Philster mentions that were not overly expensive. May want to call him and inquire as to what he has available in the lower price range/lower weight/lower length.

5. Big K1

Big K1 Large Member

Media:
    Burkheimer 7125(12'5" for 7). This is the best short rod I have cast and is a true 7 wt. Meiz has some good rods in the under 13' 7wt category.

6. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

All very good answers above; one other (where price IS the object) is the 12'6" TFO for 6/7 lines. Rod runs about $200-$250. Another course of action is to take the Reddington 11'-3" one hander and have a butt extention put on below the reel seat. (Effectively, this turns it into a 'switch rod.)

Both rods are a delight to cast and fish.

7. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

Media:
    ok does anyone know anything about the sage? or are we just going to keep getting other reccomendations?

8. Red Shed

Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Home Page:
    With all the really great choices out there choosing a "lite" two hander can sometimes become a real dilemma. I think the 6126-3 is a sweet casting rod but in my view it's hard to say whether it is a 6wt or 7wt because it all depends on how "you" like the rod loaded, as well as your casting ability and style. Only some time on the water with that rod and some lines will answer your question.
    To add to your choices or confusion (however you look at it) I would also suggest a look at the Snowbee Tamar. It is a quick little rod with a optimal grain rating of 370grns. It is 4 piece, has a lifetime warranty and sells for $384.00. You can also get a test drive on your water.

9. Verne

Verne Member

I have known people that used the Sage 6126 fhe majority of their summer steelhead fishing with a 6/7 midspey. Seemed to work allright, and they liked it.
    I plan on using a Sage7141 with a 7/8 xlt for most of my summer steelhead fishing.

10. Red Shed

Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Home Page:
    D3, The way I read Sloan's post he also ask about other "lite" summer rods. There is really no way for Sloan's or your question to be answered by any of us. What we like doesn't really matter. The only way for you to find out if the Sage 6126 is versatile enough for you is to head to your local Sage dealer and take a test drive on your water. Anything else is a crap shoot.

11. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I own the 6126 and it is my go to rod for summer steelhead. It is one of the sweetest casting rods of any I have cast to date. I have lined it with 22.5 feet of level 12 weight and use 15 foot/95GR sink tips for deep fishing and I use a SA XLT Mid spey 7 weight for a floating line setup which works great on the Ronde for waking. I think the rod is a little short for the XLT and perhaps a different floating line would work better.

12. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Kerry, do you mean a 7wt RIO Mid Spey OR a 6/7 SA XLT? Very different beasties as line go.;)

13. FT

FT Active Member

Sloan,

Redshed makes a very valid point about the Sage 6126. Whether it is a rod for a 5/6 (or 6 wt if one number) spey line or a 6/7 (or 7 wt) depends entirely on how you like a 2-hander to feel when loaded. Personally, I prefer faster, stiffer, quick recovering 2-handers and as a result I prefer the Sage 6126 when it is lined with a 5/6 spey line. On the other hand, I have a friend who likes slower 2-handers that bend more into the butt on most cast and he likes to use a 7/8 RIO MidSpey or SA Mastery mid-belly on his Sage 6126.

Since it sounds like you are pretty new to 2-handed rods and spey casting, the best thing you can do is cast as many 6 wt or 7 wt 2-handers as you can, as several have already suggested. One of the best places for you to do this would be the Sandy Spey Clave on the Sandy River in May because most of the 2-hand rod makers will have their rods available for test casting.

14. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

You probably should start by asking yourself, What do I consider a definitive summer steelhead situation? What size is the stream - both horizontally and vertically? If you're going to be dredging the bottom with sinking flies in seasonally reduced flows, then all you need is a slightly smaller version of your winter rod. But if you're thinking of dry, waking, or damp flies, then a longer rod for lighter lines is called for.

FWIW, I just got my summer dream rod: a CND Solstice 13' 4" for 6-8 lines.

15. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I can't remember. I lined her up several years ago. I would have to go look at the box. The point is that a long bellied line doesn't work as well as it should for me on this rod. Perhaps others have better performance. I have wanted to try a shorter bellied floater on this rod for a long time. The XLT works wel enough for me to catch a few summer fish waking flies. I think I could cast a shorter bellied line better.

16. FLGator

FLGator Member

I like the TFO 12' 6" 6/7. Excellent performance and a great value.

17. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Couldn't agree more. To over simplify, the longer the rod, the longer the 'head' you can work. Shorter the rod .. then you are more limited as to head length on the line.
    Fred

18. Ron Crawford

Ron Crawford ===

I am an avid spey caster, but ......

I used to own the 6126 and I sold it - Here's why.

I use an 8 wt spey rod for winter steelhead and I used to use the 6126 in the summer. After a while I found that I didn't need big distance in the summer and I could get a better dry fly cast/presentation with a single hander. The 6126 does just fine with a floating line but I prefer the stiffer backbone of my 8 weight for pulling sink tips out.

So in the end I came to this conclusion: I prefer a single hander for dry line casting because I have more precise control of fly placement. For sinking tip fishing I love my 8 weight spey set-up. So I have gotten off the winter vs. summer split. I think of it as a dry line vs. sink tip thing. If I am going to use a sink tip (winter or summer) I use the 8 weight spey. If I am going to use a dry line I use a single hander.

This may be heresy to some spey aficionados, but it suits me. Thus I sold the 6126 'cause I never used it.

19. Ringlee

Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    I just used my 6126 for the first time in BC and it is a sweet stick. It is heavy 6 weight. I had a skagit 450 and a 8 foot T8 tip. It casted with ease. Almost casts it self.
    I would try and cast as many of these lighter two handed rods and decide for yourself.
    Chris

20. Rookiespey

Rookiespey Member

The Sage 6126-3 is a great rod. I fished it with a Wincutter 7/8/9 & tips for Steelhead in the Vedder. You are right about it being more of a 7 wt.
    Mine is for sale & will be going into the classifieds soon. I just picked up a Meiser so the rod is redundant otherwise it would be my go to rod on small to medium rivers.