Summerrun Swap

Discussion in 'Fly Swaps' started by StuFarnham, Apr 28, 2005.

1. StuFarnham

StuFarnham Member

How about a summer run steelhead/Atlantic salmon swap? Maximum of 12 swappers (including your friendly neighborhood swapmeister), one month tying deadline after the swap closes?

Not sure what I'll tie yet, need to think on it a bit.

Stu

2. mike doughty

mike doughty Honorary Member

Yep, i was thinking the same thing. not sure what though yet.

3. Trevor

Trevor New Member

Well, the only atlantic salmon flies I know of are married featherwings and I'm not able to tie any of them. (yet?) As for summer steelhead, I don't know any of those either as I have never fished for the summer version. Still, I enjoy these swaps and since I just finished my last swap, I would love to join this one if someone can recommend recommend a pattern. I can look on the 'net and find a pattern that someone calls a "summer steelhead" fly, but if someone has a pattern they could recommend, I would be happy to give it a go for the swap.

Trevor

4. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

those are just the fully dressed ones.... all atlantic flies can be tied as a hairwing. Green highlander, rusty rat, blue charm, silver doctor....
    summer steelhead patterns are those like freight trains, mack;s canyon, purple peril, and many others.... a search should yeild you some good info...

I would like to get in the swap.... not sure what i wil tie as of yet though

5. craigmtb

craigmtb New Member

I am in for a steelhead pattern. I'll tie the green butt skunk. How many 12 or 24?

6. StuFarnham

StuFarnham Member

Trevor,

While traditional married/feather wing salmonflies (mostly from the British Isles) continue to be tied and fished, I think it's a safe bet that most salmon flies in use today are hairwing flies.

Craigmtb,

12 flies

5 tyers so far: Mike Doughty
    Trevor
    D3Smartie
    craigmtb
    StuFarnham

Stu

7. Scott Behn

Scott Behn Active Member

Stu, I'll join if there is still room and the swap open.

:thumb:

8. StuFarnham

StuFarnham Member

That makes 6 -- room for 6 more!

Scott Behn
    Mike Doughty
    Trevor
    D3Smartie
    craigmtb
    StuFarnham

9. SpeyRodBeBop

SpeyRodBeBop Member

Once again, I'm in if you guys will have me. I'm in BC, so it makes the logistics a little more difficult.

10. StuFarnham

StuFarnham Member

Seven down -- five to go:

SpeyRobBeBop
    Scott Behn
    Mike Doughty
    Trevor
    D3Smartie
    craigmtb
    StuFarnham

11. Davy

Davy Active Member

I'm in, not sure yet, maybe some sort of Lavendar Dee

12. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Im in with "Steelhead Caddis".

13. Sinktip

Sinktip Monty

I would like in also, I will tie a Purple Peril.

Monty

14. StuFarnham

StuFarnham Member

Current count is 10, 2 more needed to fill the swap:

Davy Earl
    Bob Triggs
    Sinktip
    SpeyRobBeBop
    Scott Behn
    Mike Doughty
    Trevor
    D3Smartie
    craigmtb
    StuFarnham

(PS Davy, I hit the Sauk today, nada...)

15. Davy

Davy Active Member

tomorrow we start "eXing" out days on the calendar until June 1?

16. Willie Bodger

Willie Bodger Still, nothing clever to say...

I'm in, but like Trevor I could use a suggestion as to what is a good summer steelhead fly... I enjoy these swaps because they get me tying, I get to see what others are doing and builds up my fly box a little faster. The first 2-3 I tie really aren't suitable to pawn off on somebody so those go in my box and then the rest generally at least look acceptable to blind fish...

17. Davy

Davy Active Member

As well they should. Blind fish have equal opportunity access to our flies ,don't they ? No? wheres one of them A'turnkneees?? :thumb:

18. StuFarnham

StuFarnham Member

WBodger,

Wow, where to begin? You can take a look at the fly patterns listed off the front page of this site. There are a number of other internet sites with good assortments of patterns -- PM me and I'll give you some URLs. Or check out some books -- Stewart & Allen's "Flies for Steelhead" and Kent Helive's "Steelhead Fly Tying Guide" are two good ones.

Stu

PS: That's 11 -- one more and we have a full swap!

19. Davy

Davy Active Member

Jerry? Hello? can't believe Jer don't want in this. :confused:

20. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

I dropped him a note. He may check in later on this. That would be truly cool.