Sunday duck hunt results

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Roper, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Islander and I stepped up and booked a guided duck hunt on Sunday. Neither of us have dogs, dekes, or any great experience in hunting ducks, but want to learn and have some fun. We met out guide, Seth, at O'dark thirty and headed to the fields. They set up dekes while we got into our waders and gear. About a half hour before shootin' time we trekked out to the blind and got situated. The blind had room for two and Seth hung outside watching the skies for birds. It as a foggy overcast morning with little if any wind, which would get the better of us.

At first the birds started moving into the field from a nearby flooded stone quarry pit. Steve nailed a mallard drake at the start and after a few minutes the pace slowed. This pattern would repeat throughout the morning, on again, off again. There was little water in the fields so the dekes were set in cut corn at the edge of a grass field. The birds just didn't want to commit to the set up. What few came in range were in little peril as Steve and I missed quite a few opportunities. We played with differing chokes to little success. We did manage a few birds, but there will be no great feast at the holiday table from out efforts. A bit before noon we saw lots of birds landing in a depression in a field to the north of our set up. Logic and good sense left us as we headed off to stalk and jump shoot what we could. We got just out of range of them in some tall cover and after spooking them they landed north a few hundred yards. We headed into a ditch that bordered the field and tried to come up and surprise them. Once again range got the better of us, but it was a blast seeing several hundred birds take flight.

All in all we had a fun time, learned a bit more that we knew at the start and each brought some birds. I'd do it again when conditions were better and the guide said he'd keep me informed.

I'll be having duck breast for dinner tomorrow and can't wait...yum-m-m-m-m...

2. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

sounds like fun!

3. andrew

andrew Active Member

Roper,

Thanks for the report! I'll take that day over sitting in a blind with A-holes to left and right that either over call, or have no patience to work birds into the decoys.

4. Islander

Islander Steve

I can't add much to Rick's report other than I had a blast as well. I have only gone duck hunting twice and it was about 30 years ago, so it was a somewhat new experience and a whole lot of fun. We are having duck for dinner tonight.

5. Islander

Islander Steve

Lemon herb duck breasts with fresh green beans and new potatoes. :thumb:

6. ganglyangler

ganglyangler Bird Dogs and Fly Rods

Well done fellas, sounds like a great hunt! I have lately been enjoying my duck marinated in a chinese teriyaki and cooked rare on a grill served over wild rice. I find duck to be be a very under appreciated wild game and agree that they should be called "flying steak". The flavor is excellent and I feel that if one tries some new recipes, duck sausage will be low on the list. How did you fix yours Roper?

7. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

My "buddy in the know" said reports he's had from the dry side indicate very inconsistent results, similar to the wet side. Hope you had a good hunt, we continue dry like the dry side, good time to get projects done before Christmas.

By the way, Merry Christmas to all.

8. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

I took one breast today, butterflied it and quickly sauteed in bacon drippings, seasoned simply with salt, black and chipotle pepper. A bit of dijon mustard...

9. Upton O

No more than medium rare?

10. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Of course Karl, I did say quickly sauteed....:thumb:

Hey Steve, where are the hero shots from the field...?:clown:

11. Islander

Islander Steve

Sorry, been slacking lately.......

12. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Sounds like a good time & good eats. Friends over here have also complained of spotty duck hunting.

13. Upton O

There are a couple of guys I said I would take duck hunting this year, I can't bring myself to even call them now, our club is so freaking dry! If I thought last year was the pits, this one trumps it.

14. ganglyangler

ganglyangler Bird Dogs and Fly Rods

Nice shots guys, nothing better than a day afield with a pal... dogs included. Bacon makes everything better.