Sunrise vs sunset - low tide vs high tide

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by ricklea1953, Jul 30, 2008.

1. ricklea1953 New Member

Covington, Washington
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I will have to admit that I am an early morning fisherman. I can get up as early as it takes. I enjoy the quiet morning fog and just being on the water with a thermos of coffee.

In the search of coho from the beaches, is it equally okay to fish a morning high tide as well as an incoming low tide? I know the incoming low tide is the preferred method.

I also know that coho shun from the sun.

Thanks,
    Rick
  2. Jake L New Member

Sammamish, WA
    Other guys will be able to give you a better answer than me, but I have to say that I've seen more fish activity on incoming tides in the morning. But this is a great question, I hope some of the old salty fisherman we have here on the forum chime in and help enlighten us. (hint hint)
  3. Mr.E He called me an Elitist ?? LOL ..what a moron

Lakewood,Wa.
    I mainly do the early morning. It depends on the area though. Just like you early mornings are more relaxing.
  4. DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Marine Area 9
    Ratings: +385 / 0
    Fishing early in the morning is important since the salmon will be in close to shore prowling. My success picked up when I started hitting the beaches well before official sunrise. Cloudy days can extend quality fishing into the afternoon, even keeping chinook in the shallows if bait is abundant. Evenings will produce too of course, if that's when you have time to fish.
    The right tide to fish completely depends upon the beach and the time of day it occurs. Some beaches fish very well on an outgoing tide and others on the incoming (depending on structure, seaweed issues, etc). Slack tides can fish very well too if bait are concentrated. Example: I'll fish Beach-X on an early morning outgoing tide from +7feet down to +2feet, stay if the fishing is good or go to Beach-Y to fish the +2feet outgoing through the +4feet incoming. I make plans to fish these tides when they occur in early morning hours, especially if the weather will be overcast. As you learn different beaches you'll figure out the prime tides for those spots. Even a perfect tide won't guarantee salmon will be present though, so have alternate beaches in mind and hit them all until you find the fish.
  5. Dale Dennis Formally Double-D

Arlington, WA
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    I’ll second that DimeBright, the beaches I fish are best early morning incoming and I prefer a high tide before 10am and cloudy days have produced better fishing overall. It has been my observation that there are more cruising fish in skinny water in the early morning hours. I have fished the evening tides but I really don’t have the confidence as with early mornings and wind can be an issue in the late afternoons.
  6. Hooker Banned or Parked

WA
    You keep saying you know all this information when you are brand new to it. So... how can you possible "know" that these are facts?
    Every spot will have its "money" conditions, but especially with coho, if the fish move in and are on the feed, conditions dont matter that much. Its up to you to find out what those conditions are for each area. If you can only fish in the morning, to hell with the conditions, go fish. You wont catch anything unless you are out there.
    Dont start out with preconcieved notions and you will find more fish.
  7. Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,263 / 1
    I agree early mornings can be great. That being said, I'd rather fish a good tide on a bright sunny afternoon then early morning with a poor tidal exchange.
    When the fish are there and the bite comes on, I really don't think the weather conditions or time of day really matters that much.
  8. Mr.E He called me an Elitist ?? LOL ..what a moron

Lakewood,Wa.
    John who are you talking at?
  9. Steven Green Hood Canal Pirate

Poulsbo, Washington
    Ditto
  10. Copper Jon What a Jim!

Seattle, WA
    One thing to consider about mornings at many beaches is that very few members of the public are around yet. That's the thing about public beaches, the public goes there and in big numbers when it's nice out during the summer. I try to fish mornings at some places simply for the reason that I don't have to worry about hooking a dog or jogger behind me and there usually isn't anyone hucking sticks for their dog into the water nearby. During the day, too much public activity along the shoreline has got to push fish further offshore. Just something to consider at the busy beaches.
  11. Bob Balder Willing to learn anything...

Seattle
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    :thumb:very interesting thread here.
    Would anyone like to jump in on this topic with regard to Sea Run Cuts? I'm relatively new to the salt water side of this thing and would appreciate your views.

Thanks in advance.
  12. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +566 / 0
    Uncle-

My best success has been on an outgoing tide, but again, it depends on the beach like others have said. I like to be on a beach when it is near 7 or 8 ft. level and going down. There just isn't a "set" time. It probably is just where I fish, or I'm just getting stuck in my old ways. I have caught cutts at all tide levels, I just sense my best success has been on a good outgoing.
    I fish one beach where you need to be there at a 7 or 8 ft and then the fishing is done when it hits 3 ft. The area is on the edge of a flat estuary. Just get out there, you will find the answers over time on the particular beach.
  13. riseform Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +291 / 0
    Personally I haven't figured it out yet. I have seen more salmon cruising closer to shore on incoming tides in the morning, but I've returned to the same spot the next day at the same time or an hour later and seen nothing.

Steve Raymond's book "The Estuary Flyfisher" has a great chapter on his experience with sea run cutthroat. I believe he found the best fishing tides were the middle of large outgoing tides that overlapped from morning to afternoon and the middle of smaller incoming tides (I'm going from memory here). But, he caught fish at all times. I just fish whenever I have the opportunity.
  14. Bob Balder Willing to learn anything...

Seattle
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    :thumb:Thank you sir.
    That is what I have read, I am not without success but it has been spotty. I have always tried to get out there in order to fish the outgoing tide about an hour into it and I stay as long as I am able.
    Been sticking to the same beach as I never seem to get the time to explore others, that is obviously a committment issue more so than a convenience one.:rolleyes:

Obviously it is a matter of putting in the time like anything else.

Thanks for the tip:beer1:
  15. ricklea1953 New Member

Covington, Washington
    Sorry Hooker,
    I didn't mean to rock your boat. I never professed to know it all. I am a beginner. I only relate what I read or learn from folks in fishing classes.

I ask questions because I want to learn. If you have to take it personally or want to attack my questions, please send me a personal mail.

To the rest of you, thank for your input.

Rick
  16. ricklea1953 New Member

Covington, Washington
    Hooker,
    I had to make one more comment. Take it anyway you want and then let the fine people on this website make their helpful comments.

I was probably fishing the wishkah and hoquiam rivers for blueback before you were even born. Do you happen to know what a blueback is? I fished westport during it's hayday when two 40 pound salmon were caught within the first or three hours of fishing.

I am new to fly fishing and take advantage of all the reading/classes/guided trips I can find.
    I also frequent and buy from local fly shops.

Please don't insult the people who are trying to break into fly fishing at any age. It is a learning process for anyone, no matter what their fishing background. It is a different terminology which us "traditional fishermen" are trying to learn.

Now, please let the questions and discussion continue. If you have a personal beef with me or something I have said, please send me a personal e-mail.

For now, I would like to hear what these fine folks on the website have to say.

Rick
  17. Clint F Fly Fishing Youth

Port Orchard,WA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    A morning outgoing has always been good for me.

Clint
  18. SeaRun Fanatic Member

Northwest, WA
    Ratings: +19 / 0
    Early AM outgoing is money on at least a couple of beaches I like, with the added bonus that the outgoing current flushes out the salad, which can make fishing almost impossible in the summer on an incoming.
  19. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    for coho I'll take an AM outgoing with slack at about 9am, and some nice cloud cover.:thumb:
  20. Clint F Fly Fishing Youth

Port Orchard,WA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    I must second D3 on the cloud cover. :beer1:

Clint