Super Noob Needs Advice

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by pinkygonzales, Mar 13, 2012.

1. pinkygonzales

pinkygonzales Swingin' for them shiny steel

Home Page:
    So I have been swinging a 9' 8wt with the Scandi Versitip system on the Sandy River in Oregon since early January. I have yet to hook up with anything but am still just figuring out how all of this works.

I can't say I am not a little frustrated, however. I have been out at least 10 times, maybe 15, and have yet to get a bite, let alone a bite to eat. I am starting to understand why so many people prefer a two-handed rod to a single, especially when throwing heavier streamers, as I am.

So I am starting to wonder if "switching" things up might be a good idea, but this being my first season, I hardly want to make a big change just as the water conditions do the same.

If you guys are having any success out there, I would love to know what equipment, including line, you are using. And will you be using the same this Spring & Summer? I don't mind making a good investment, but I do want to avoid another 20 trips to the hole with nothing to show for it.

"You may say I'm a dreamer..."

Help a brother out?

2. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Media:
    hmm..easy answer is that persistence is everything, the pain is worth it.
    BUT, other questions, like what 9 wt, what line, what tip
    are you using SH casting or spey casting styles with the SH, and if so, doing it over the right water?
    are you interested in PNW spey casting styles? You can do quite a bit on the rivers out here with a single-hander, a DH rod isn't a necessity (despite what I tell my wife)...

3. Wadecalvin

Wadecalvin Member

Run up the road and get you one of these switchers in an 8 wt with a 500 grain Rio Skagit short shooting head and a ten foot sink tip.

4. pinkygonzales

pinkygonzales Swingin' for them shiny steel

Home Page:
    All good questions, SpeySpaz. (Great username, btw) I am using a combination of several different casts depending on how much room I have around me. I prefer a long backswing just for distance reasons but can get a decent cast out with spey and/or rollcasts when needed. The trouble is, I just have shooting line behind the versitip head so it is very difficult to get enough "load" to really send that thing flying. Lots of double haul action no matter what casting presentation I am attempting.

As for the rod itself, it's a 9' 8wt Sage SP. I really like it. I believe it's a medium-fast action. It certainly feels like it compared to an XPLi that I have also been using, which is much faster.

Above all, what is appealing to me about going spey is that it appears to require much less energy and results in much further casts. Is that accurate? I haven't been able to find much info on casting distances between the two, but long casts in narrow canyons are certainly a challenge with a single-hander.

5. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

Before you drop a G note on new outfit, a different line setup may get you in the game. Were I you, I'd pay a visit to the Welches fly shop for advice. Even a one on one day on the water with a good guide is going to be a lot cheaper than the conversion to two hand, in which case you'll still need a day on the water with a guide/instructor.

The Sandy Clave is coming up in May, if you can wait that long. And except for the price of admission to Oxbow Park, it is free.

6. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

10 trips without a strike as a beginner is what is to be expected, particularly if you have not steelhead fished before. I have fished the sandy maybe a dozen to 15 times having floated it several times and bank fished it and I have never got a strike. Other people do well there but i have written that river off.
    If i were you I would pick a smaller river where the holding water is more defined and you can cover more water.