Supercat 60

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by jdub, Dec 18, 2007.

1. jdub New Member

Tigard,Or
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Anyone ever fish out of a Supercat 50 or 60 made by New World Mfg.? How does it compare to a Super Fat Cat etc. Thanks
  2. Doug Member

Bellingham, WA
    I have a Supercat 60 and like it a lot. Its a great pontoon boat that is easy to take apart and put together along with being light weight. So this makes is a good pontoon boat to be able to backpack into a lake with and have it put together within 10 minutes, which includes inflating it at the lake. Or if the walk to a lake is short enough, you can go in with the pontoons already inflated. Be aware though, that depending on your height and the slope of the hill you may be walking down, the ends of the pontoons may hit the ground once in a while, but I have never damaged them do to this.

The pontoons themselves are a heavy rubber, so they can take some abuse without you having to worry.

Since the frame comes in pieces and is a little smaller diameter than some of the other pontoon boats, I don't know if I would ever want to take it down some rivers, but maybe someone else with more guts than me has done this with no problem.

You can also purchase oars with the footrest for it, but I don't use them all of the time. I will only use them if the wind is already blowing a little, or the lake is fairly big. With the oars and footrest in place, there are more places for your line to get tangled up.

To sum everything up, I would buy another one and recommend it to someone else. Especially if you are looking for a pontoon boat to backpack into a lake with.

One of the WFF members (CouleeFlyfisher) is also a dealer and would be able to help you some more if you need it.
  3. jdub New Member

Tigard,Or
    Doug

Thanks for the reply. I would be using the supercat as a float tube. No oars or footrest. Lakes only. Have you ever been in a super fat cat? Can you make any comparisons.

Jeff
  4. Couleeflyfisher Member

Ratings: +5 / 0
    Hi Jeff;
    Doug is right on, they are a tough light boat and very good for pack-ins like Lenice & Nunnally. The New World web-site has a lot of info if you haven't already been there. If you're under 220# and less than 6' or so the 50 is more convenient for packing. No internal bladders to give you trouble and the 32 oz. PVC is tough, similar material to white water rafts. Comfortable seat but you do need reg. waders, unlike an otter and most other pontoons you don't sit above the water and get by with hippers. Drop me a pm if you want more info.
    Jim
  5. Doug Member

Bellingham, WA
    Sorry Jeff, can't make any comparrisons to the Fat Cat since I've never used one or even remember looking at one.
  6. Tom Bowden Active Member

Black Diamond, WA
    Ratings: +72 / 3
    I had a Supercat 50, which I sold a couple year ago and replaced with Super Fat Cat. Both are great boats, but each as it's advantages.

The Supercat was great, but was a bit too low in the water with my 6'2" 240+ lb. on it. I had the rowing frame and oars, but rowing was totally ineffective because I was too low in the water. The 50 was easy to pack, and worked OK for me with fins. It was very easy to carry, as the seat doubles as pack frame, and the tubes fold together for a more narrow profile. I liked the metal seat and frame as a foundation for anchoring.

The Super Fat Cat has worked well for me, and accomplished the objective of getting my butt out of the water. It's very comfortable to sit in and fish from. The downsides are it's size and difficulty to pack. When inflated, it takes up most of the bed of my Toyota Tacoma, leaving little room for anything else. I have the pack straps, but without the frame it feels big and heavy compared to the Supercat.

I'm mulling the possibility of selling the Fat Cat, and buying a Supercat 60 from Coulee Flyfisher. Decisions, decisions......

All boats are a compromise.

Tom
  7. jdub New Member

Tigard,Or
    Tom,

Thanks for the comments. How would you compare the super fat cat to the supercat after reviewing the following.

I have a super fat cat with both the inflatable seats (which I don't like) and the foam seats (which I prefer). I've enjoyed the boat for about 5 years. Also have a bucks bag southfork pontoon boat, but have found I tend to prefer my fat cat. That being said, I'm interested in the supercat 60 (I'm 6'2" 200 #'s 47 yo) haul my boats in the back of a Ranger.

Questions: Is the supercat seat comfortable and roomier than the super fat cat? Can the supercat tackle bags be easily removed from the boat? Does the supercat move about better or worse than the fat cat (kicked only)?

I'm liking the idea of being able to take tackle bags off the boat, having a little better seat arrangement that makes one feel more secure when netting etc. and having just a bit more room in the cockpit area. Would you say this boat will accomplish this? I will only use fins and use as a tube.

Thnaks for any replies...jeff
  8. Tom Bowden Active Member

Black Diamond, WA
    Ratings: +72 / 3
    Jeff,

In terms of comfort, I think most people would give the edge to the Super Fat Cat, because of the soft seats. The Supercats have a mesh seat attached to a metal frame. I have a bad lower back, and actually preferred the harder seat of the Supercat because of additional support. But that's just me...

As I remember, the Supercat bags were removable. The ones on my Super Fat Cat aren't.

For maneuverability, I'd give a slight edge to the Supercat. The pontoons seem to glide through the water a bit faster than the bigger, wider "V" Tube. Also, the Supercat has a metal frame and is more rigid, which might add some speed and maneuverability.

Both are fine, high quality boats.

Tom
  9. Charlie S Confrimed Reprobate

Ukiah, CA but moving to Spokane
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I live about 30 minutes from New World Manufacturing and have both the Supercat 50 (for my wife) and the 60 for me (6"3" - 285 lbs). I love the boat. The bags are removeable and I got the bigger bag as an add on to keep my camera and other stuff in. The seats, after a full day's fishing can become a bit uncomfortable because of the metal bar at the front of the seat but I seldom fish all day any more anyway. I have also fished out of the Superfatcat and it is also a great kick boat. The seats are comfortable with the foam seats. Of the two the Supercat is more manuverable and responsive. The material from which the tubes are made comes from Germany and is the same material and valves as used on high end rafts. The packing issue has already been addressed. I would suggest you try to get in each of them and then purchase the one you like best. By the way, my Supercats are going on 12 years and I've never had a problem with either of them.