WTB Surf rod opinions or offers

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by rip lips, Apr 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rip lips

rip lips New Member

I am looking into buying a surf rod for northern oregon coast. Any opinions or insight is greatly appreciated. Also line recommendations also.
    Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

2. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    I think a nice 9 wt by Sage would do nicely.

3. olypenjeeper

olypenjeeper Active Member

I lived in New Jersey for four long years and got into striper fishing. I used a beulah 9/10 surf rod, and a Colton 9wt single hand rod. Colton is wildly popular with east coast guys. It's a nice rod too, the trade winds series. Very fast, really punched through the wind, the price was right too at about 150 new I believe. Sold the beulah a few months ago. I live on the north oregon coast in Astoria, if you ever want to try it out. I'd recommend getting a stripping basket for the salt, it's a life saver, especially if you plan on fishing from jetties.

4. Steve Slater

Steve Slater Member

I'd recommend a two-handed rod in the 7-9 wt range. A friend who fishes a LOT on the California coast prefers the sage 7126-4 TCX (aka Deathstar), which is technically a 7 wt but can throw heavier lines. Whatever you use, having that extra power and length from a two-handed rod really helps if you aren't fishing from a boat.

Two more points. I definitely second the stripping basket. Also, if you plan to wade in the surf, it can be extremely dangerous to go in waders. I strongly recommend a wet suit instead. I know of at least one person who died in the last few years (in CA) when his waders flooded and the surf dragged him down. Standing in the surf is a different game, and a wet suit (or dry suit) is definitely the safe way to go. Obviously, not an issue fishing sheltered beaches in the Sound, where the waves are essentially nonexistent. I also know folks who always wear a lightweight pfd in the surf.

5. Rick Sharp

Rick Sharp Member

Media:
    Call Bob Meiser and talk to him, he has a ton of insight on the situation your wanting to do, I'd recommend a 10`6 switch rod somewhere in that range with the right line.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

6. agent montana

agent montana This Must be a sickness!! MARINATE!!!

Media:
    CND Oceania if you can find one...
    great price is about 450..
    I hear agentmontana might have one for sale...
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.