Surface Popper question

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by Kcahill, May 4, 2011.

1. Finally got out to do some bass fishing tonight and had 2 strikes, both just as the fly hit the water. Since it was pretty windy the line was no where near taut enough to set the hook.

Is there some trick to fishing with a popper? Maybe stripping like a madman till the slack is out on a windy day?

Or do I just need to work on casting into the wind :hmmm:

2. Being from FL, and since the above mentioned situation is how I got into fly fishing in the first place, I'll let you in on some experience: That's gonna happen. Mr. Bucketmouth does not always take your bug, especially if the color is off a little bit. There have been many days I've had where it seems that the fish is slapping the fly with his tail, as an instinctive territorial gesture. Also, on a windy day, the popper is rippling with the surface of the lake and may cause the fish to miss. All of this is just how it goes I guess. All we as fisherman can do to combat is carry a variety of colors, keep your rod tip down, sharpen your hooks, and be patient. Hope this helps, good luck out there.
    Van

3. First of all, if you're just learning, you need to focus on 2 things. Accuracy, and accuracy. You want to hit the bucket, and you want your fly fishing the second it hits. The best way to achieve that is with a short leader. As short as you need to straighten it until your skill improves. Plus if they hit it the second it touched down they were probably small. They need practice too as they grow. Try a diver also if they're consistently missing. One reason I love Dahlbergh minnows or whitlock frogs. Much higher connection rate.

4. All above info is spot on. But, one big thing I didn't see. Keep your line snug as possible, and for the life of all that lives, don't set the hook until you can feel the fish.

5. How much can I shorten the leader up? I imagine bass are not very leader shy and if I cut it down to 6' or so I could turn the fly over really well and get it fishing quick.

6. It's not how short can you go, it's how long will you ever need to. 6 is great if that's what you can manage. if you can work up to 7.5 over time even better. 9 foot is the equivalent of the 15 foot trout leader. Don't be afraid to do 4 feet of 40lb, 1 foot of 25, and a 1.5 tippet of 10 with a loop knot. You can turn over spark plug with that. Cast, and be as patient as you can while the disturbance settles. Minutes, as in plural of minute, if possible. Everyone in the neighborhood will be aware of your bug, but forget how it got there. Then work your magic.

7. Philster,

What would your leader recipe be for 7.5'?

DKL

8. I go commando for any fishing where I want solid turnover and a tight straight leader on splashdown, whether lake or salt. The above leader I suggested would either be stretched on the middle section or the tippet depending on the wind, and the bug being thrown. I keep it pretty simple. Yes knots grab crap in the summer. But with a popper I just clean the knots when the panfish fry begin mistaking them for something alive and start trying to eat them.:clown:

9. The shorter leader worked like a charm, I was getting a good turnover with an 8' leader I made up. Pretty windy out there right now and I didnt see any fish doing anything on the surface so I will go back out an hour before dark and see if I can hook one.

10. I'm going to shoot for a few Bass on Cottage friday. The pads are coming in nice and with the warmth they should be around the area looking for a place to spawn. I'm pulling a 8ft leader with a tine piece of tippet. I do the same, let it sit for a second, ok maybe 30 but then give it a twitch. Give the little guys time to pick while the hogs are getting close and ready to pounce. We'll see how it goes.

santo

11. Santo:

I wonder if these warmer days have the bass swimming shallow?

Cottage lake is my home water and I fish it often. Never had much luck with the surface popper patterns there. But I did fool a smaller bass with the wiggle minnow near the reeds. Subsurface is the way to go for the big ones. I've done best with crayfish and mega-leeches...Let me know how you do?