"Sustainably harvested" wild steelhead alert

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Evan Burck, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

2. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

From their site:

"The Native American fisherman are only allowed bouyed set nets which limit harmful bi-catch and support the Quinault Indian Nation hatchery steelhead management objectives."

3. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Who's got a letter drafted up to send?

4. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

A wordsmith better than myself would probably be best for this. Do point out that the Quinalt fish are SASI depressed stocks.

5. Jmills81

Jmills81 The Dude Abides

Get me some specifics on data and I will write it...PM me

6. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Thank you Evan and JMills. I'll gladly send one along once drafted. Luke, what can I say...

7. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Here is the data to write a science based letter regarding the Lower Quinault Steelhead Gillnet Fishery.

WDFW SaSI Data
    Quinault/Lake Quinault winter steelhead are rated Depressed due to a long-term negative trend in escapements. Escapement values have steadily declined in the last ten years and have not shown improvement.
    This Fishery is not Sustainable as the Escapement numbers have plummeted in recent years coinciding with the increased hatchery Smolt release and increased net pressure on the Lower Quinault.
    Gill Net Fisheries have an extremely high bycatch Mortality rate. Regardless of Set or Drift, Gill nets are nondiscriminatory Killers that hurt Early Component Wild Steelhead that are now a species of concern on the Olympic Peninsula including the Quinault River.

WDFW has Closed retention to the Early Component of Wild Steelhead On the Upper Quinault along with 7 other rivers on the Olympic Peninsula.

WDFW is concerned and it is quoted by the State Steelhead Manager. The WDFW Commission adopted this a regulation.

"The commission, which sets policy for WDFW, changed the opening date for wild Steelhead retention to protect the early portion of the run, said Bob Leland, WDFW’s Steelhead program manager. "

“Making this change will help to maintain the diversity of the run – including a range of late and early returning fish – that is important in preserving the wild steelhead population,” Leland said.

Quinault Tribes has knowingly released hatchery Steelhead smolt infected with IHN. This is unacceptable and negatively affects Wild Steelhead stocks coast wide.

8. smc

smc Active Member

It's pretty clear that the Quinault feel that they are managing their resource to it's highest and best use.

Maybe they are. I don't know. I do know that I would definitely want to speak directly with them - a long term open minded conversation - as part of my research before participating in some knee-jerk email campaign against their practices.

Flame away.

9. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

That's what we like to call "marketing." See my previous post for what's really going on.

as for email contact, this is the only contact info I could find:
    support@oceanpro.com
    ProFish Ltd. - 1900 N Fenwick St. NE, Washington, D.C. 20002 - Profish.com - (202) 529 - 3003

10. smc

smc Active Member

I saw your post Evan.

At least Oceanpro cites the source of their steelhead, unlike others that have felt the wrath of WFF.

Isn't it becoming clear to you that taking this approach is like playing whack-a-mole?

The Quinault Indian Nation posts their fishing regulations, as well as their philosophy re; self governance, their resources and their future.

If you want to effect meaningful long term change, maybe it would be helpful to work with the people that can actually make those changes.

The Quinault Indian Nation website: http://209.206.175.157/

11. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

I'd love to work side by side with the tribes to come to a solution. As of right now though, educating our public on what's going on is priority as most don't even know what a steelhead is.

Keep in mind, we'd be working with the same Quinalts that allow retention of up to 4 ESA listed bull trout per day in the lower river sport fishery.

12. smc

smc Active Member

13. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

14. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

I see two main "strategies" from the angling/conservation community:

1. sit back and watch everything go to shit, then bitch about it.

2. try to make even a small positive impact on things, no matter how much effort it takes.

I choose the latter

15. smc

smc Active Member

That post by Salmo G addresses much more than by-catch. I particularly enjoyed the last paragraph:

"In the mean time, we could eliminate all incidental harvest, treaty and non-treaty, commercial and recreational, shut down all hydro dams on PS rivers, bring all development activities throughout PS to a screeching halt, and returning wild adult steelhead runsizes would not increase significantly. There is enough data to cobble together such an analysis, and given that result, just what actions do you think society is willing to impose on itself? Grossly paraphrasing George Carlin, I can only think of one: "make brown people stop fishing with nets." I trust the irony of that statement is self-evident.

Sg"

16. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

#1's suck.

17. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Salmo is much more knowledgeable than I. But I know others who are also extremely knowledgeable who think much different about the actions to be taken.

I am not saying I support taking away their right to fish. but what I would like to see is some accountability in catch counts, and to stop fishing runs below escapement goals. Why have escapement goals if they're not paid attention to?

18. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

Evav-
    I too understand and appreciate your passion however not sure that alone is enough to care the day.

I understand your point about the early wild fish - does that mean starting next week when the recreational fishery can begin taking wild fish that the net fishery becomes "sustainable"?

Is it your position that there are no sustainable harvestable wild steelhead on the Quinault or elsewhere in Washington?

Or is it that the rates are too high? If so where should that line drawn?

For those that are in the camp of no sustainable harvestable wild steelhead I would hope that you are not fishing for steelhead anywhere in the State where a wild fish might be caught. Even a straight CnR fishery kills fish which means there is some fishing induced mortality (harvest) which can not be sustained.

One needs to be careful on how we craft arguments and make sure that we are willing to live up to the same standards.

Tight lines
    Curt

19. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Well, those are all questions I'm still trying to answer myself.

20. smc

smc Active Member

I appreciate that Evan and agree that catch count data and escapement goals are important. But I think that's a WDFW beef. Maybe that's something that we, as a community, can work together on with the Commission, provided they are still intact by the end of the week.