swinging flies== flossing fish??

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by sandspanker, Oct 23, 2011.

?

How many fish are flossed on the swing

Poll closed Nov 6, 2011.
25% 12 vote(s) 57.1%
50% 5 vote(s) 23.8%
75% 4 vote(s) 19.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. sandspanker Member

Camas
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    true but most do use 5ft+ Some giudes on the Lewis use 7+..
  2. sandspanker Member

Camas
    This is why I was wondering what everone else was thinking with the swinging,flossing thing. nothing more nothing less.
  3. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +684 / 5
    If you want to talk coverage with a flyline. You'd exponentially have to use ALOT more leader/tippet to floss. I'd almost guestimate with sinkrate, bow in line (even with mending), and fly, you'd have to run about 15-20' of leader/tippet off end of your sinktip to properly floss. That would give that fly (which would have to literally almost be a floating fly slowly being dragged down) a chance to work down slowly giving flyline a chance to cover more water (which still wouldn't work I'd imagine). I know I had a few guys out salmon fishing this past week. We were running about 5' of tippet/leader combos (some down to about 3') and had a hard time getting the lines down at certain water levels. Let alone trying to floss fish who were at a depth where our flies were just above them. Thankfully, we could watch the flash of the fish come up after the flies. So we knew we weren't flossing (plus, when some were almost hitting our flies at the surface, knew we were good to go).
  4. sandspanker Member

Camas
    could be true or sounds true.. but it could be a possibilty of happening. even a broken watch is right 2 times a day. LOL Don't most people think Jim Teeny is a flosser?? just saying
  5. sandspanker Member

Camas
    I never said that fish are flossed while nympthing... I feel that most dead drifted ways of fishing are deadly.. ( nympths,bobber and jig, bobber and eggs) its always a natural look for the fish. Flossing is what it is. there will always be flossers. Go up the NF lewis and you will see a ton of them. its the guys that reel in and jerk every 4 cranks is what pisses me off.
  6. gearhead Active Member

Renton, wa
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    well...well....well.... You know i never ever thought of this, Wow...Great topic, to consider for discussion, but the fact is that gear guys with 9 ft and greater leaders are of course flossing, that may not be their intent, but it does happen and often. the majority of people out there would agree i bet, but what about 9....10 or 15 feet of leader sweeping thru a run, cast... step... cast.... step. stands to reason, that yes flossing a fish on the swing is just as likely as the gear guys swinging their 9 ft leaders. i'm holding my head up a little higher all of a sudden, knowing that probably 100 percent of the couple fish i get under a boober every year actually eat it, lol.
  7. Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Peck, ID
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    Sandspanker, Every post you've made in this thread seems pretty defensive. Same for the thread about the Speydicator you started on Spey Pages. I've never seen anyone call you a flosser any place I frequent and I certainly haven't called you that so where are all these people that call you a flosser?

Is the above quote the method you think people use to swing flies? If you think swinging a fly in an open river for steelhead is in any way shape or form flossing then I don't think you have a clue what you are talking about.
  8. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +684 / 5
    Poppy he's talking about the gear guys. Especially on the NF Lewis. I call it "straffing" the slot. But you are almost snagging over flossing with that method. The 4 reel/yank. Saw that a lot last week.
  9. Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Peck, ID
    I'm well aware of what he's talking about so I'm wondering why the Hell he equates that to swinging flies for steelhead. This ain't a gear forum the last time I looked.
  10. Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Kirkland, Washington
    Ratings: +57 / 0
    Yup couldn't agree more... as a matter of fact I have yet to floss a fish on the swing. So I vote 0%
  11. Jordan Simpson Active Member

Tsawwassen, BC
    Ratings: +54 / 1
    Mumbles- I have this great new garlic and herb popcorn seasoning. I'll throw some in the microwave- you just bring a sixer with you!
  12. Cruik Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +142 / 0
    I'm sure some steelhead are flossed, but it's gotta be a small number. I can see how it could be possible, but if a significant portion of steelhead on the swing were flossed, I would expect more salmon bycatch in the flossing. On the eastside rivers in the fall, I would expect to floss a decent ratio of chinook and coho to steelhead, especially since their mouth shape would make it easier. Also, on the West side in November and December, I would expect more chum flossing, but this doesn't happen.
  13. Cruncher -

Marquette Park Lagoon
    Ratings: +4 / 3
    0 %. Why wasn't that an option?
  14. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,777 / 0
    Because the majority here would pick 0 and there would be nothing to argue about. Thus, self defeating the purpose of this thread which is to create controversy.
  15. Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Peck, ID
    Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner. Well said Kerry.
  16. Panhandle Active Member

Selkirk Mountains, Idaho Panhandle
    Ratings: +23 / 0
    I love it when someone posts their opinion clearly, then states "we're" misinterpreting what's stated. Sandspanker, you specifically stated that you think swinging is flossing because 50% of fish caught swinging are flossed. Take your lumps guy.
  17. gearhead Active Member

Renton, wa
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    Shut up flosser:D
  18. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +732 / 2
    It's called nymphing, not nympthing. Just sayin'.

Here's a pic of my high water side drifting flossing rig. 27" long. Pretty effective at flossing them right inside the mouth as they bite it...;)
  19. Flyborg Active Member

Kalama, WA
    Ratings: +602 / 0
    I've seen skated flies hook fish outside in. That's some fancy flossing.
  20. Josh dead in the water

NW Washington
    Ratings: +509 / 2
    A can of Chelada and sandals without socks? I don't think you are really in the northwest PT. You flossing for bonefish with that rig?