switch rod advice

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by golfman65, Apr 24, 2014.

1. golfman65 Guest

Ratings: +5 / 0
    I am a die hard river guy...but sometimes I enjoy heading for the chuck...
    I have a great old time sage two piece single that is fine for ho's but i'm at the point where
    a switch rod is just so much easier on and for me....

what is a good all around beach switch rod?

I can cast well two hand overhead and of course roll etc. for beach...are you looking at fast action ones like the TCX or ????

Appreciate the help...
  2. Bagman Active Member

Poulsbo WA
    Ratings: +73 / 0
    I'm guessing a lot depends on how much your willing to pay for a rod. I have a Ecco SR 7wt switch and a 8wt made from a Rain Shadow blank. I picked up the Ecco for$200, and the Rain Shadow for just a little more, both brand new rods. Both easy casting as well I can tell with my limited skill. I plan on fishing these two until I feel that I would be able to tell the difference between a $200 rod and a $700 rod, and right now I can not.
    Alexander likes this.
  3. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,262 / 1
  4. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Des Moines
    Ratings: +765 / 0
    Have you tried a shooting line you can spey cast for your single hander. Its a pretty fun crossover casting style. With a short head around 18-25 ft, you can strip it in to the polyleader or tip. Roll it, dump it, perry poke, whatever, then pick it up off the water and let it fly. Its more accurate and quicker than a switch, and my favorite way to cast from the beach
    Unless you just want a reason for a new rod:)
  5. Evan Virnoche Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    dude listen to this guy!!! its a blast watching pat cast a singler like that. He motivated me to start practicing this style and it is fun. Its super functional too for the yak for swinging if you like to swing and strip back. Its a pain in the ass to strip a skagit all the way back in
    Gary Knowels likes this.
  6. golfman65 Guest

I can use both hands to cast but it's a lot easier for me to use my left hand up if I have something to hang onto..
    the fighting butt is OK but the actual butt is better...so yeah another rod..
    I looked at the other thread and wonder if the tcx is still a favorite...the price is better now and while my buds ONE felt amazing it's hard to justify the money!

I have a bruce and walker switch...it's a new one from them and as a small rod is amazing..but they told me it's not made for salt, can be used for it but to be careful...I don't want to jack that rod so here we go again..it's also an 8wt so a bit overkill.

I was messing with my RPL and I could get away with using that and it's actually a cannon....You know I could really get into the salt game...or I could even more realistically forget all about it again till next year once the rivers start sucking again...stupid sport!!!

leland, you got me with those poppers, just so you know who i'm blaming for all this...
    Gary Knowels likes this.
  7. Evan Virnoche Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    im a river whore too i know your pains
  8. Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Shoreline, WA, U.S.
    Ratings: +466 / 1
    I have the 6119 tcx and it's an awesome little stick. The switches are a totally different animal than the speys (7126) so be careful drawing comparison. For beach fishing I have only used the 8wt outbound short and it flew. Strip it in, dump it and send it back out. Even single speys rocket out there. It's so light in hand it actually single hand overhead casts nice. But using both hands makes it easy on the body. And besides it rips with a scandi head and a dry fly on summer steelhead rivers, light enough for big resident trout and bull trout. Awesome rod especially at discounted prices.
  9. golfman65 Guest

thanks sean, that's what I was looking for...line set up helps too...

and here I thought you were only fishing my burkie??? :)
  10. Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Shoreline, WA, U.S.
    Ratings: +466 / 1
    I'll trade the 6119 for a 7125-3 :)
  11. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Des Moines
    The main reason I don't like two handers is because I like to haul the line, I don't actually cast with both hands on the rod, its a double haul spey cast. Med fast rod like the rpl would be perfect, I've cast an 8 wt ten footer that was buttery smooth.
    Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of a switch for blind casting all day. But I still recommend trying a royal wulff ambush, or scandi short body line For a SH rod. Especially for targeted casting like chasing rezzies or cutts up and down the beach. I havea few heads you could try out if you're gonna be on a beach we can meet at soon. If not, I hope you find a nice new rod to enjoy. I would not recommend the echo Sr for the beach unless you like that mushy, sloppy feel. I have the 4106 for nymphing but did not like it as a beach rod, simply not fast enough to punch through the wind.
  12. porterHause Just call me Jon

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +170 / 0
    9 wt (350Gr.) Wulff Ambush plus poly on a Sage 4116 is my beach rig. Unless the water is chock full of seaweed, I'm spey casting all day. I agree with Evan, Pat's single handedness is pretty cool, but (and I give him crap for this all the time) I would only recommend his method if you're looking for a serious workout. Sustained anchor casting with the switch rod doesn't take much energy, saves my wrist from aches and pains, and keeps my flies off the beach.
  13. golfman65 Guest

Thank you all for the help...I think i have tracked down a 6wt tcx that is affordable...I'll use it and my 7wt RPL single and hopefully start doing this a lot more...

The really cool thing about spey casting is the ability to use it with single hand rods...while some lines don't "take" to it as well as others...I have been given a couple solid recommendations on ones that will AND over head cast fine too....
  14. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Des Moines
    Not so much of a workout once you get the timing of the haul down. So yeah, ill have to get better at that, lol. But after using that Skagit head for steel this winter, my 6wt feels like feather casting the wulff line
  15. seattlee New Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    I was looking for a beach setup and bought a #6 Switch on a Rain Shadow Blank and lined it with the RIO #6 Switch Chucker (2014).

The rod is 10'8" and I can overhead cast for a long time without getting tired as well as spey cast with the Switch Chucker. The Switch Chucker is an integrated line that includes a Spey Head so I can strip it in all the way to the leader without a connection going through the guides. I'll also put a 10' intermediate polyleader or a 10' sink tip on, if needed. In that case, I don't strip the last 10 feet to keep the connection out of the guides.

I'm not an accomplished caster, but I can roll cast 50' with ease, spey cast 60-70' on my crappiest casts (and much more on good ones), and overhead cast it 80'+. I find being able to roll cast and spey cast is great when you have a high bank or trees behind you at the beach or simply get tired of your fly getting beat up on the rocks.

So far, I find this setup to be an amazing weapon to have in the arsenal, although it might be slightly too stout for a 12" SRC. However, I'd rather have the extra backbone so I don't feel outgunned by coho or a surprise blackmouth (hoping for a surprise blackmouth some day).
  16. golfman65 Guest

is there much if any difference between the switch chucker and ambush line? I have the ambush..and an older outbound to start with...
  17. golfman44 Coho Queen

Kirkland
    Ratings: +986 / 0
    Switch chucker has a little longer head and its running line is far superior. Also it is tapered like a skagit head.

It's the best line I've ever purchased.
  18. golfman44 Coho Queen

Kirkland
    Ratings: +986 / 0
    Double post sorry
  19. seattlee New Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    golfman,

I have the #6 Switch Chucker and I also have the #8 outbound short floating...they both fish well on my #6 switch. However, I think there is a big difference as the Switch Chucker has a much thicker head that allows me to Spey cast much easier. Additionally, the outbound has a 30 foot head that tapers quickly to the running line while the Switch Chucker has a slower taper to the running line. I think this makes the Switch Chucker easier to mend because the running line still has mass at 45+ feet, whereas the outbound is not easily mended once you have the 30 foot head out. I think the #6 Switch Chucker is also a lot heavier (400 grain?) than the #8 Outbound (300 grain?), which allows the Switch Chucker to punch through wind well. The increased mass of the #6 Chucker also makes throwing a sink tip on the end easier to manage. RIO's diagrams has the info regarding tapers and grain wieght.

Both great lines, but I find myself using the #6 Switch Chucker over the Outbound. I probably give up a bit of overhead casting distance, but gain so much in terms of spey casting versatility (including adding tips) using the Chucker.
    Bagman likes this.
  20. 2kayaker New Member

Sedro Wooley, Wa
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    Can I suggest a lighter rig when pursuing cut throats? There didn't used to be any 3/4 wt switch/trout spey rods out there that were happy with a 200 grain skagit line. This year there's some around or you could get a blank .I bet the old norm of a 5 or six wt switch being a cutt rod will fade out. A 6 wt switch is usually equal to an 8 or higher single hand and that's not the best match. I'm glad we're all enjoying the Spey casts throughout many other fishing situations. Just my 2cents .
    Bagman likes this.