Switch rod for indicator depravity

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by stilly stalker, Nov 20, 2012.

1. stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Carlsbad, CA
    Ratings: +184 / 0
    Thinking Id like to have a nice 7wt switch rod for long roll casting of indicator rigs in brushy small peninsula rivers, or other small rivers like the upper Trinity or tossing off a drifting boat/pontoon. Who likes a rig like this, and what kind of head set up do you like for tossing the bobber?
  2. Robert Engleheart Robert

Lemoore, CA
    Ratings: +111 / 0
    Blasphemy!
    I took a young man down the T in my cat a couple weeks ago, he was using a new loop switch with a RIO SA/S line the shop sold him as a package. He struggled with it and after I let him try my Mieser 11'-7" 5/6/7 with SGS matched line (for swinging) he called Bob as soon as he got home. Point I'm trying to make is WHY? There are plenty of 9'-6" or 10' SH rods that will do indicators very nicely. a switch is a bitch for that purpose, IMHO.
  3. g_smolt Recreational User

58°19'59 N, 134°29'49 W
    Ratings: +160 / 0
    Switches are perfect for Indi fishing, and the ECHO3 / Speydicator combo is hard to beat.
    Connor H likes this.
  4. Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Quesnel, BC
    Ratings: +318 / 0
    I use an 11' RST custom 8/9 switch and either a Echo Scandi or Speydicator..
  5. Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Shoreline, WA, U.S.
    Ratings: +443 / 1
    My buddies in MT that live and die by the bobber swear by switch and Spey Rods with the old rio powerspey or the new version (name is escaping me right now). They love that long taper and in their hands it's scary what can be achieved. On the small coastal streams my roommate has been running a tcx 7119 and a switch line and its pretty cool and can get those drifts on the far bank but at times when overhead tree limbs are a problem its pretty hard to beat my 896 xp and rio indicator line.
  6. stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Carlsbad, CA
    eeh, I want a stick capable of roll casting clunky shit to 40'. I have a 9' 8wt already and its not really up to the task as much as Id like it to be. Some of these rivers have cathedral arch ceilings of alder/blaclberry/salmonberry and moss and overhand casting is OUT, and often youre right up against a cutbank trying to make it happen, hence my desire for a rod that I can throw D- loops with and set anchor points at precise spots.
    You like your Meiser 11'7" ? thats pretty much what Im lookng for, or maybe a 10'6''
  7. Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Yakima, WA
    Ratings: +291 / 0
    My bobber setup is as follows:
    6 wt 10'6" CPX matched with a 6 wt Switch line. Can be fished both wade fishing as well as out of a boat with ease.
  8. stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Carlsbad, CA
    So the hwy 112 rivers in winter wading conditions, the S rivers in summer, and drifting any river any time is what Id like this rod for. Could be a 6 wt, but Im thinking 7 because there are some big ass fish in tight quarters on the OP

How do you like the CPX?
  9. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Ratings: +730 / 0
    Echo Ion, 8wt 10', single handed stick. Loaded it with a 5wt scandi short. I had to get to intruder sized shit before it had troubles delivering things appropriately. If i was going to toss intruders on it, maybe a skagit head would work better.

I tight line nymph/dead drift, and it worked great (felt good and caught a fish)
  10. stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Carlsbad, CA
    not much swing water on the 112 rivers.....dead drift nymphing is the game
  11. Anil Active Member

Tacoma, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +205 / 6
    The Rio 'Switch' lines are actually pretty deadly for this. If you read between the lines, they had this in mind when they designed them. As they are rated 6/7, 7/8... it's usually better to go with the heavier of the two for indicator fishing.
    AKFly7 likes this.
  12. TD Active Member

North End
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    I use an 8wt 11ft Orvis Access Switch rod for this. I put a switch line on it and can roll cast quite a bit of line. I can also single hand or 2-hand overhead cast it. It also will spey cast but not the easiest for me with the switch line. I have a skagit flight head that I use with it too that works quite well. However, I tend to grab me Scott L2H 12'6" 7wt Spey rod 99% of the time now for steelhead or salmon in the rivers.
  13. Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Ratings: +1,156 / 0
    6wt TFO Deer Creek switch with Speydicator. It's great for casting lighted balloons!
    doublespey likes this.
  14. underachiever !

suburban hell
    Ratings: +411 / 0
    I've been able to roll cast plenty of line with my 7wt echo sr/speydicator setup. I've also been able to spey cast 60ft or so with it and I don't even know what the hell I'm doing.
  15. Josh Stroud Active Member

WA
    Ratings: +64 / 0
    That is a killer combo on the Kenai here in AK.
  16. Chedster New Member

Vancouver, WA
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Redington CPX 7wt switch with a speydicator line does pretty well for me. I'll actually cast it often in a spey style with both hands on the rod even when stack mending. Effortless with both hands and its amazing how fast you can throw mends out if you're fishing some faster riffles.
  17. Yard Sale Active Member

The Hood
    Ratings: +134 / 0
    This. The SR7 works just fine as well.
  18. rory Go Outside

Maple Leaf, WA
    Ratings: +180 / 0
  19. Connor H Bobbers n Beadz

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    The Echo 3 with the speydicator is probably the best combo I have ever found for indi rigs with a bunch of crap hanging below them. The Ross Reach is another pretty good switch that a lot of people haven't been lucky enough to fish yet...
    Robert Engleheart likes this.
  20. stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Carlsbad, CA
    Lol, if I was gonna get dirty like that, Id just use my bluefin bait gear