Switch rod for indicator depravity

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by stilly stalker, Nov 20, 2012.

1. jwg Active Member

West Richland, WA
    Ratings: +81 / 0
    Reds had a good description about lines for switch rod fishing:

http://www.redsflyshop.com/blog/fly-rods-and-fishing-gear/why-switch/

For indicator fishing they note the Rio Switch and the Aiflo Speydicator.

they note that Scandi heads are not good for indicator fishing but are good for other things.

"Fortunately both Rio (Switch) and Airflo (Speydicator) have a specifically designed line for indicator fishing and moving all the junk to the proper line for the drift through the bucket. These lines will cast that junk much easier than any single handed rod and then mend with the ‘longer lever’ much easier and further than any single handed rod. While they will not turn over long heavy tips and dead chickens like a Skagit line, I always have a fast sinking poly leader in my wader pocket that loop-to-loops on the indicator line and will swing reasonable sized flies below the surface.'
  2. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +674 / 0
    Sage ONE 4116 with a 4/5 rio switch for summer fish
    Sage Zaxis 611 with a 5/6 speydicator for winter work
  3. underachiever !

suburban hell
    Ratings: +312 / 0
    You might even be able to catch one with that setup!:D
    rory likes this.
  4. Robert Engleheart Robert

Lemoore, CA
    Ratings: +111 / 0
    How do you avoid tangling your 2-flies when roll-cast indicator fishing? One reason I gave it up is that eventually I get a nasty tangle with the trailing fly & the 1st; a rollcast made it worse. I thought about switching the the point/trailing flies but just went to short-line high sticking when nymphing. In that case, I usually fish a Stone or wooly bugger or similar heavy fly followed by either an egg or emerger soft hackle, depending on what I think they are keying on.
    Stilly Stalker, I love the Meiser. Very light for size, wide grain window. I'm new to the 2H game, doing ok on the Scandi, sustained anchor casts need work but 90% of my fishing is dryline and I'll be using the Scandi most often. Did some nymphing with it on the Trinity last week. The steel were keying on eggs as the salmon are spawning and I liked the control and mending ability but thought it cumbersome compared to my 9'-6" SH 6 & 7 weights. When I'm high sticking, usually @ 40' or less so the indicator and extra length the switch affords are of little benefit at that range. I prefer a greased line presentation or swing but they were really eating the Golden Stones or eggs last week, couldn't buy a tug.
  5. mtskibum16 Active Member

Puget Sound Beaches
    Ratings: +191 / 0
    I've been wondering this same thing about switch rods. It seems the extra length would be very handy. I have never used a two handed rod and have yet to fish for steelhead, but thought I might "dabble" this winter. As a MT transplant I have spent most of my fly fishing time throwing indicators and nymphs for trout. It's amazed me to come on here and see how people like to bash on nymphing like it's a lesser form of fishing....please. It's just another tool that can be used to catch some of these amazing fish.
  6. Kelly Michelsen Active Member

Wenatchee, Washington
    Ratings: +34 / 0
    I have 11`6 switch , I occasionally get tangled but I don't feel like it is anymore often than with a single fly setup , but I always go with
    The double nymph setup, I would say try it if you don't like it
    Go back to single fly setup.
    Kelly Michelsen
  7. Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Ratings: +941 / 0
    Robert, my favorite cast is one that my spey friends make fun of as I just kinda made it up (as I can't really spey cast). However, it is effective and efficient and quickly gets the bobber where I want with zero water thrashing. It is hard to describe and everyone that I describe it to says "Oh, you are just doing an XYZ cast" until they see it, then they hang their head in shame for me as it is nothing out of the spey playbook. I call it my loopty-loo cast; my friends call it an abomination but I will try to describe it.

It is one simple continuous, fluid motion. Start with the line downstream and water loaded. Then make one sweeping upstream very open loop cast bringing the rod tip up and over as you shoot the line out. I guess if I were to draw it, it would be a J with a very wide loop. When trout fishing, if you have ever just picked up your waterloaded line and shot it back out without false casting, you are doing basically the same thing but more slowly and with a much more open loop. The nice thing is that if done correctly, it is self-mending as the line lands upstream of the indicator. At first, you may end up with the indicator just back where it came from but keep working at it and soon you'll be able to put it where you want and never tangle. And, if you have bad shoulders like I do, you will really appreciate the simplicity and low shoulder impact. Just be prepared to be laughed at...
  8. mtskibum16 Active Member

Puget Sound Beaches
    Ratings: +191 / 0
    I don't know any spey casts, but I'm pretty sure I use this same basic nymphing cast. Yes, it's not pretty but it works! ;)
  9. Robert Engleheart Robert

Lemoore, CA
    Ratings: +111 / 0
    Freestone & mtskibm, I too use the "waterloaded flop" (and despise it) but I was wondering how one roll casts a double nymph rig & indicator without frequent snarls as early in the thread some were discussing that. My attempts to roll or single-hand spey that combination frequently end in disaster.
  10. TD Active Member

North End
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    Freestone - this sounds like a maneuver I taught my 7 yr old daughter to use when I took her fishing for humpys last year. I'd have her follow the line as it drifted and swung across the river. Then as it hung down river with the current pulling on it, I'd have her raise the tip and flip the line back up and across stream. No back cast or timing really required. She just had to get the hang of the right speed and to stop the rod and she had it down. We used small cerise comets and caught quite a few that afternoon. She stills talks about it.
  11. stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Carlsbad, CA
    So Im thinking sage z axis 6 wt paired with either a CLA4 or Solitude 4. Should do sweet dbl duty as a summer steelhead rod and tight quarters indicator rod. Im torn though, because a 7wt would be good in winter, but I feel it will be overkill in the summer and dry line
  12. stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Carlsbad, CA
    Do you think the z axis 6 switch can tangle with big OP winter fish?
  13. sashjo Member

Lakewood, WA.
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    I'd be lerry of the 6 wt Z!
  14. Chris Bellows aka. topwater

The Salt
    Ratings: +568 / 0
    i fish the echo sr 7wt switch and do not find it to be overkill for summer fish. i could get by with lighter, but i like the fact that i don't need another steelhead sized switch.

i would like a lighter switch, but for sea-run cutts not steelhead.
  15. TD Active Member

North End
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    Yes. The reels that you've mentioned pairing with the rod will enable the setup to handle big winter fish. My dad fishes a 6wt Helios Switch rod paired with a Mirage reel. He takes that setup to Yakutat (Spelling?) to fish for Coho every September and has no trouble with that setup. 15+ lbs Coho that are literally right off the saltwater are common.
  16. speyfisher Active Member

State of Jefferson U.S.A.
    Ratings: +128 / 2
    Uhhh, you guys ever heard of a center pin bobber rig? So easy to learn a cave man can do it. And a whole hellofalot cheaper than a spey/switch rig.
  17. stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Carlsbad, CA
    Speyfisher- the idea is that this will be a dbl duty rod. I have. O desire for a centerpin setup.
  18. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +674 / 0
    Depends on how good of a swimmer you are
    I've never had a problem.
    stilly stalker and TD like this.
  19. soundflycaster Member

Mossyrock, WA
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    TFO 11' 6wt switch with 400gr scandi head. Roll casts and spey casts indicator and weighted flies just fine. I have to lower the tip to the side and change my anchor point when working under the canopy of branches but it is still a more versatile set up than a single handed rod in my opinion. For really tight conditions I have a 9.5' custom switch that I made from a TFO Professional blank that I use when I am under trees all day. Still beats a pure single had set up.
  20. stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Carlsbad, CA
    lookin like Im getting a z axis 6wt switch. Going to pair it with a solitude 4 (cant decide between black or pewter)