Switch Rod on the beach.

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Adrian, Dec 12, 2013.

1. porterHause

porterHause Just call me Jon

Media:
    I have a salty 6 single hander that I thought would be my beach rod for evermore. Bought a 4WT switch after using my buddy's on some dirty worthless PS river with no fish. Lined it up with a 350GR Ambush and 10FT int poly. After a couple of sessions with it on the beach...I found that the perry poke is an amazing cast for the beach. Strip in to the poly...sweep across the body, roll out the head, dump...and launch effortless 100FT casts all day.

Only twice in 3 months of near everyday beach fishing did I ever feel that, during extremely vegetative circumstances, MAYBE the single hander would have been nice. Then again, there was really too much salad for a single hander as well. Under this circumstance, I could still overhead cast...the 350GR line was overkill, but still manageable. I started realizing that the flies I had tied were starting to stockpile. I started realizing that at the end of a day of beach casting, that my flies still looked brand new. I started to realize that, for me, this was a MUCH more efficient way to fish the beach.

I brought my single hander out once for shits and giggles, and felt severely handicapped. Not only was I working way harder, but my casts averaged a good 30FT less. Still good range, and still fishy, but I felt lost without my switch rod.

So...to your original question, Adrian, the Sage One 4116 is my go-to beach set up for salmon. The Wulff Ambush 350GR is the only line I would use in the salt (for spey casting). It casts just like a Skagit (20FT head), but with integrated running line...so you avoid those connections picking up salad or sticking in your guides. I tried 5, 10 and 14FT poly leaders, and settled on the 10FT. If you're sustained anchor casting, and it sounds like you are, this is the route I would go. It allows you to strip all the way in to the leader.

For overhead, a 7WT Rio Outbound works well, but I find sustained anchor casting to be much more enjoyable.

I do, however, much prefer beach casting to SRC with a single hander, as I find myself casting to specific targets more often than blind casting. For this, nothing beats a single hander.

2. Adrian

Adrian Active Member

A 4wt would handle the occasional 10 - 12 lbs silver?

3. porterHause

porterHause Just call me Jon

Media:
    A Sage One 4116 will handle 10-12LB silvers, and 15 LB. Steelhead with backbone to spare. IMGP0114.JPG

Annie Rutherford and Adrian like this.