Switch Rod Suggestions

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Josh P, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Josh P

Josh P Member

Im looking at buying a 7 weight switch rod and looking for suggestions. Leaning towards a Sage One or TCX. Suggestions on which one would be a better steelheading rod for the NW? Or is there a lower end rod that packs a "bang for the buck" that you would suggest? Thanks in advance.

Josh

2. SUSteelie

SUSteelie New Member

To be fair, I have not casted many different varieties of spey rods, including higher end rods like the sages you speak of. However, I do own a beulah classic switch 7/8. I absolutely love it. It is very light, and the lines that beulah makes are specifically tailored to this rod. My one issue with this rod specifically (its 10'6") but switch rods in general is that winter fishing in the NW with 10'-12' tips of t-11 requires a roll cast before you start your cast to get the tip up, whereas with a 13footer you can go straight into your cast. The beulah runs in the $400ish range.

Josh P likes this.
  3. Matthew LeBret

Matthew LeBret Active Member

Media:
    The only High end sage switch that I have casted is the Z-axis 6wt and that was a hell of a rod. You could not go wrong with ether of those 2 rods that you have listed. I have spent a few days with the Death star and if their switch rods are anything like the Spey line I would have to send my money to the TCX line. I had a chance to cast the beulah Platinum 10'8 7wt a few months back on the GR and LOVED IT. So much that I put in the order and got my Platinum blank 2 days ago and getting ready to slap it all together GREAT ROD. The guy I was with had it match with Beulah's Elixir "scandi" line and it was a great set up and blast to cast. As for a bang for the buck I would have to give that to Redington CPX.

fredaevans and Josh P like this.
  4. o mykiss

o mykiss Active Member

I have the Sage Z-Axis 7110-4 (7 wt. switch). Love that rod on a small river with the Rio Scandi Short Versitip (425 grains). You see these come up for sale occasionally - would be a great rod at a fraction of the price of a new TCX or One. Have only cast a One 7 wt. spey rod and didn't like it. Can't believe I'm saying that because I mostly own Sage rods and love them. Maybe the switch rod is different but the One spey rod in a 7 wt. was a broomstick as far as I was concerned.

Josh P likes this.
  5. OneMoreCast

OneMoreCast Member

Media:
    The Z-Axis switch rods are great and you can probably find one on clearance somewhere. I have been fishing the Echo3 7wt Switch all summer and fall and I really like it with both skagit (short/switch) and scandi heads. It's worth a look and a bit cheaper than some of the other options.

Joe

6. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Media:
    Home Page:
    One more vote on the Z-Axis 7110. I have cast the ONE switch... good, but definitely NOT worth the extra money from the Z-Axis... which is on discount now...
    But the ONE spey 14' and above is another different story though... they are worth every penny you pay. That good! IMO.

7. Rick Sharp

Rick Sharp Member

Media:
    If your looking to jump in at that price point but don't want a off the shelf rod get a hold of Gary Anderson, http://www.andersoncustomrods.com/ he can build a nice custom rod using the sage blanks to your liking at the same cost as a manufactured one or talk with Bob Meiser http://www.meiserflyrods.com/ about your switch rod needs after all he did design the switch rod concept several years back and again around the same price point as a off the shelf but much better customer support in the long run. just a thought

8. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Media:
    I have spent some time with both the z switches and tcx, and the tcx switches are a whole different animal. Some will want to compare the 'death star' tcx 7129 against the tcx switch rods, but they are very, very different. I own both the tcx 8119 and 6119 and use them for my winter and summer rods, and everything else I have seems to be collecting dust. With a skagit switch line these rods are amazing. My 8119 with throw anything in winter, with a more compact and easy casting stroke than anything I've casted. It's the only rod where I actually have a problem managing my running line because there is too much of it. This switch line has lots of sensitivity as well as backbone. I tested the 6wt out on some chum the other day and landed a 15 lb+ bruiser with it. The 8 wt will handle handle kings 25lb+ too, which I also testing this fall. My only problem is that I don't fish as much as I'd like to.

That of course is the caveat, it's been my experience and matches my casting style with rods I've casted. So please take my opinion as just my opinion.

shotgunner and JesseCFowl like this.
  9. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    TFO Deer Creek for saving a lot of gas money.
    Z-Axis for sweetness.
    Meiser for wow.

10. Draggerman

Draggerman Member

I will echo Ricks suggestion,as I got a Mieser 11768 custom buld this year with a custom line to match it is a once in a lifetime rod for me and it is a thing of beauty and the rod covered a lot of my mistakes,it has a large grain window being a 6/7/8
    so it is a very veristile rod and you really feel the fish .I fish mostly all atlantics and it has preformed greatly and ther is that feeling you get while holding it knowing it was made specifically for you and also this rod is not listed on Bobs site yet but it guickly becoming very poplular

11. shotgunner

shotgunner Anywhere ~ Anytime

Media:
    Bang. Right on.

Haven't met an 11'9" TCX I didn't like. Seem more progressive while retaining fast recovery than the Z-Axis.. a trait I prefer. No hands on with a One yet.

12. Gray Ghost

Gray Ghost Member

A lower end switch rod that has not been mentioned yet and I've read packs a lot of bang for the buck, is the recently released Redington Prospector switch rods, 7wt 11' 3". I have yet to handle one myself, but with all the good reports, I'm looking forward to in the near future.

GG

13. g_smolt

g_smolt Recreational User

Media:
    ECHO3 switch rods are some of the best out there, and at $525 they are a hell of a deal. They remind me of all the good things of the z-axis switch (fast, light, speedy recovery), with none of the crappy things of the z-axis switch (tippy, grip too thick, butt-light).

You should fling the E3-7110 around - I think you might like it.

Steelie Mike, AndreasJ and Josh P like this.
  14. Spencer Woods

Spencer Woods Member

Media:
    TCX Switch hands down! Have cast them both! The TCX is a solid, solid piece of equipment!

15. Josh P

Josh P Member

What about the Echo SR switch? Any comparison to the Echo 3 switch? Also I have been noticing a lot of length variance of 7 weight switch rods between 10' 6" -11' 9" ? At some point wont those longer rod start preforming more like a shorter spey rod without ease of the overhand casting ability? 11' seems to me would be a good switch rod length. Also I have a Echo Ion 7 weight 10' that I can single hand spey cast alright. Anyone ever try a switch line on a single hand rod, or would that just overload it?

16. underachiever

underachiever !

Media:
    I know people have used the compact Scandi on sh rods and seem to like it.

17. porterHause

porterHause Just call me Jon

Media:
    Look around the shops and ask about a deal on a Z-Axis. I got my 6110 at half price, and tossed a 420 grain skagit switch on it. It's my first switch rod, and definitely a different beast than a full spey rod, but when my casts work, they fly for miles.

18. g_smolt

g_smolt Recreational User

Media:
    ECHO SR and ECHO3 are two very different animals.

IMO, the SR is more of a "short spey" in its action and feel. It bends deeply and releases well, but doesn't lend itself well to the other side of the "switch" equation, the 2-handed overhead. You CAN 2-hand overhead with the SR, but there are better rods out there for that app, namely the ECHO3.

The ECHO3 is a very peppy twig when it comes to the spey family of casts, and when matched with a switch-sized skagit (18'-22'), the 3 series are absolute line rockets. This doesn't mean that they don't do well with standard skagits and scandis...they cast perfectly well with those lines, but they really shine with the short lines. They also have a taper, flex, and recovery that makes 2-hand overhead casting a breeze.

yuhina likes this.
  19. Steelie Mike

Steelie Mike Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    You won't go wrong with the Echo 3 switch.

yuhina likes this.
  20. Josh P

Josh P Member

I think I may be sold on the Echo 3.