Switch rod weight

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Eric Denny, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Eric Denny

Eric Denny Summer is over but I'm still fishing!!

I am looking at getting a switch rod for streamers and small steelhead with a little nymphing thrown in. I had read somewhere posted on here that switch/Spey rod wt. is different than single hand weight is that true? I ask because I want something I can enjoy catching medium size trout yet still beable to catch a steel head on. Also don't want it so light it can't throw bigger streamers 4-8. So any advice or thoughts on this?

2. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Media:
    I do precisely what you're talking about with a 6 wt Redington CPX switch. It's light enough to still be fun for streamer fishing for trout, but stout enough to cast big flies for steelhead. You are also correct, the weight system is different for two handed rods vs. single handers. The rule of thumb is whatever weight you'd fish a single hander at, go down 2 weights for a two hander and it'd be about the same. Example, a 6wt switch is close to being the same as an 8 wt single hander. Make sense?

3. Eric Denny

Yeah it does and I had heard that before. So you fill your 6 wt rod works what about a 5wt switch? That is what I was thinking. I would be using it more for trout than steelhead but it would be used for them when is finely go.:)

4. Luke77

Media:
    Yep, you should be fine. A 5 wt switch is like a 7 wt single hander. I don't think a 5 wt switch would have any issues with a summer run steelhead. A big hot 20 lbs winter run might give you some issues, but you can only hope for those kind of issues. ;)

The first fish I ever landed on my 6 wt switch was a 13 lbs steelhead and I had no issues and never felt undergunned with it.

5. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

Nothing to share regarding swich, single or spey rod line weighting but I do have an opinion.

I've never suffered a reduction in satisfaction on catching a fish based on rod weight rating, the rod just won't bend quite as much if you go heavier. if you want to get it "just right" use tippet as the limiter. I always use a rod that I believe will be capable of landing the largest imaginable fish in the water I'm fishing. If you are hoping to catch as many as possible, regardless of species, go heavy and use appropriate tippet. Heavier rated rods will always cast further, cast more weight and be better at defeating wind. It's your choice...everything "fishing" is about size!

6. Eric Denny

So another question since I will be new to all this is what kind of line would work for what I'm talking about using it for?

7. Luke77

Media:
    How are you wanting to fish for each?

Steel:
    Trout:

8. Eric Denny

I am guessing mostly steamers with a little nymphing thrown in. Is there a line that is a all around line?

9. Eric Denny

And thanks Luke you have been help full the last couple days.lol

10. Luke77

Media:
    There's more to that answer then a simple yes or no.

For nymphing, it's a very easy answer, look at the Rio switch line, Airflo speydicator, or the newer Rio switchchucker. The first two are strictly nymph lines and I wouldn't even try to swing with them. The last one is BETTER, but not perfect. I'd say if you didn't want to carry around multiple lines, it'd probably be your best bet to nymph and swing.

For swinging, I'd just go with your favorite spey line and add tips. For my 6 wt switch, I use a 390 gr. compact skagit for swinging flies and a Rio switch line for all nymph work. I carry each on a separate reel and just do a change out if I decide to change tactics. That being said, I've grown accustomed to doing this, so I haven't gone to the switchchucker yet. If you'd like more info on it, check this out:

11. Eric Denny

I think I need to take class on it or read a book there are a lot of things I don't understand. But thanks Luke

12. runningfish

runningfish Member

I just bought a Beulah Platinum 6wt 10'4" switch rod and based from the reviews, the platinum series switch are the REAL switch rods with good ability to cast overhead and spey, which is exactly what my doctor ordered. They also come in 5wt 10ft. Another thing that I like about the Beulah Platinum is that they do not require heavy shooting head. e.g the Beulah Platinum 6wt switch requires 325-350 grain Beulah Tonic (Skagit line), while the Sage One 4116 4wt 11'6" needs Skagit Short around 325 grain. The Redington Prospector 6wt 11' requires 400 grain.
    The platinum is very light in hand and with shorter rod you don't fight much of the swing weight. The same thing with their Beulah Classic 4/5 and 5/6 switch that I had. Go ahead and read the reviews about them.
    For the line, just cut the chase short and call Steve Godshall and get a custom cut line tune for your type of fishing and casting. I just ordered a Tonic line and Steve will build the custom running line exactly for my type of fishing and this will be my 4th custom line from him.
    I am using the 6wt for trout, bass, and surf, nymphing, swinging and popping bass bugs.

13. CaddisSunset

CaddisSunset Member

I have a 6wt TCX with switchchucker and it seems to be a good compromise for handling large trout to small steelhead. A 16 inch trout still feels like a decent fight.

Eric Denny likes this.
  14. Eric Denny

What kind of fishing do u do streamers or nymphs with it?

15. CaddisSunset

CaddisSunset Member

Mostly nymphing so far, its ok for mending but the running line could be a little thicker for longer mends. I'm just learning this switch rod game so I hope to get better. The switchchucker does shoot line well and seems to be good for swinging flys.

16. Eric Denny

Your new is better than my just getting started!lol I just hope I can find a line that works for both or get this hole head thing figured out. The rio chucked from what I hear is the do it all line.