Switch rods???

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Nathan M Daines, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Any suggestion on switch rods. I have never spey fished before but considering getting into it. Am I better off just to get a spey rod? are switch rods harder to learn with over regular spey rods? Can I use reels I already have and just get new spools with spey line on them?Looking around the 8wt range to fish big rivers. What would be a good starting length?

Thanks for any help and advance, Nate

2. For big rivers a longer rod is preferable IMHO. I'd go 13-13' 6" in an 8 weight. The new Decho's are getting good reviews. TFO Deer Creeks are also well thought of. Both are relatively inexpensive for spey rods. Spey lines take up a bit more room, so for a rod that size, you really need a larger reel. For my 7/8 I use a Lamson Velocity 4, Ross CLA 6, and a Hardy Salmon 2. All those reels will hold a Skagit or short belly line plus 150-200 yds. of 30 lb. backing.

3. I would have to put in a vote for Beulah. If you want a switch rod, the 7/8 switch is very nice. If you want a spey rod the 12'7" 7/8 is sweet. I personally own the 7/8 spey and 6/7 switch and I couldn't be happier. They really are some of the nicest rods I have cast. I go to all the local claves and cast everything, and have yet to find a spey rod I like more than the Beulah. I just got the 6/7 a couple weeks ago for summer runs and Bull trout. Basically they make great rods that are WELL worth the money.
    jed

4. Thanks, Tuna

I was just looking at the TFO deer creek and was supprised by its price. That is great news to here its getting good reviews. I already have a Lamson V4 for my 10wt. so I can get another spool and save some money there. I going to try casting a couple of rods this summer and hopefully by winter have my mind made up.

Thanks again, for everyone insight it always helps!

Nate

5. Hi Nate. You are on the right track when you say your going to try out some rods this summer. Good for you. Theres lots of choices out there these days and its wise to try as much as you can before you buy. Not really familiar with the lay of the land to the north of me but Im pretty sure Aaron (SPEYBUM) does a weekly spey gathering and offers some instruction and LOTS of rod/line combos to try. May be a good thing for you to check out. Im sure someone can provide you with the specifics. Even if its a few hours make a weekend out of it, you wont regret it. Id also say if your going to be fishing big rivers then you may want to lean more towards a longer spey rod. Switches are great for sure but the extra length on a big river may be the way to go. Good luck and enjoy. Kevin

6. Beulah has been mentioned.

I picked up a Kispiox Dredger from loomis after casting many many spey rods over the last two years. I would recommend you test drive one of them at some point in your search.

7. Not quite sure where they are located relative to Bellingham, but you might want to check out All About the Fly. Board sponsor, flyshopkriston. They also do tryouts, pointers, lines, rods. A great way to try before you buy and find what's right for you.

8. Nate,
    I would for sure go see Aaron in Carnation. He holds saturdays gatherings on the Tolt river. Aaron brings at least a dozen rods and reels for your pleasure. www.speyshop.com amd speybum@speyshop.com

9. I've been throwing the Sage 6110-4 Z-Axis since it came out and love it. I use it for a summer steelhead rod and it is also my primary beach rod now. I've landed steelhead up to 8 lbs on it as well as ocean run silvers up to around 6 so it can definately handle fish. I spey cast it easily with a Rio Windcutter 5/6 line in rivers and throw a Rio 7-weight quad-tip in the salt where I can spey cast about as far as most people cast and with a spey and single overhand cast combo can knock out 75-80' of line no problem. It can be easily cast as a single-hand rod where current isn't good enough for spey casts too. Tried the other switch rods out there but they were all too soft for a really good dual-castability.

Tim

10. Nathan,

If you want to fish big rivers I would suggest an 8wt spey between 13 and 15 feet. Switch rods are fun but they're not really cut out for big water/big fish in my personal opinion. I would say you are better off learning to spey cast on a regular spey rod and picking up a switch somewhere later along the line.

Will

11. 14 ft. 8 wt. for big water.
    11ft. 6/7. For small water steelhead and big water-large trout.

Of course there are many exceptions to the rule, but those are basic measurements to gauge from IMO.

12. Except for oceans fishing for stripers, blues, tarpoon, snook, bonito, False Albacore, Pollock.......

Learning to spey cast is definitely best done on a spey rod in my opinion, but switch rods are capable of fishing for any speices in any water that a spey rod is.

13. Except for oceans fishing for stripers, blues, tarpoon, snook, bonito, False Albacore, Pollock.......

Learning to spey cast is definitely best done on a spey rod in my opinion, but switch rods are capable of fishing for any species that a spey rod is.

14. LBC has the Buelah 6/7wt. and loves it. I have the Winston 7wt. and love it. Both SWITCH, fucking ripps man. Good thing about the Buelah is that they come with the correct line for the rod. Try the 7/8 Elixer for the Winston. We use these alot and are very happy to have these. We both got the switch before any spey rod to learn them, and it was well worth it...

15. Hey Nate, I want to horn in here...:)
    I was a RANK beginner july last year and started with a crappy 12'6" rod which shall remain nameless...:hmmm:
    since then I got two Deer Creeks, one little (5/6) and one big (15' 8/9).:thumb:
    I've cast many other rods since, and still like mine better than even the Z-axi...'course that's just my take. But they're a hell of a rod for the price and their actions, though beginner-friendly, impress even expert casters when they try them out.
    I have an LS4 on my big rod and though it leaves it a bit tip-heavy, I don't care. I love the combo as is.
    If I had it all to do over again I'd have bought a mid-length Deer Creek and just worked it. Your L4 will balance it better and it'll be less tiring that way too.
    You'll end up with a bucketful of rods eventually anyway if you're anything like me.
    just think about what size water and what size fish you'll be mostly fishing and take it from there. There's lots of advice available from the Jedi Knights about everything once you nail those two things down...starting with a 13'6" or 14' would be OK, even on bigger rivers, and might be more manageable for a beginning caster.
    welcome to the brotherhood, in advance.

16. KEM, it doens't matter what LBC has...we all know he can't cast....especially with a spey rod.

As for a "cheap" switch rod. The 11' TFO's are a tough one to beat. They Spey cast great and overhand really well. The only thing they lack is the stiffness to really get on them with a single hand double haul....but that is not what they were made for. They still chuck line whether you are fishing single hand or double.

Oh yeah, and to be even more of a salesman....guess what I have in stock now....bet you can't guess.

Cal

17. I know you weren't addressing me, but can I guess Deer Creek switchers?
    is the 4/5 in stock yet?

18. I have the 4 weight and the 5 weight. They don't make a 4/5. And you guessed it!!

Cal

19. so the 4 is out almost a month early woohoo!
    I have a Beulah 4/5 in the mail to me as we speak, but I'll tell you I was really looking hard at the Deer Creek switchers. Meiser/Kinney are geniuses IMHO, I understand the DC switchers are a hybrid Highlander taper?
    Bob was responsible for the Beulah switch tapers too I understand.

20. I used my new TFO Deer Creek 11', 7-weight switch rod on the OP for the past couple of days. It was loaded with a Scientific Anglers Short Spey 8-weight. Once I learned how to cast it the combination was sweet. It is going to be with me through the coho season on the OP and probably on Puget Sound rivers as well. For down-and-dirty, sunk tip, winter fishing on any river I'll stay with my Deer Creek Spey rod.
    Les Johnson