Swivels for chironomid fishing?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Kaiserman, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

I'm going to try (better) at chironomid fishing, and heard about using swivels..?

Does anyone here use that method? If so, what is it exactly? Do you just tie a swivel a foot or so above the fly?

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  2. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

I've heard about that but I'm not sure that it would be considered a "weight" or not, which is not legal - from what I understand in FF only waters. Why would you want to use a swivel? I bead head will work as a "weight".

Check with DFW.

MB

3. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

I watched a video last night of a famous BC chironomid fisherman and guide that was using a swivel. He stated right up front that it helped to get the 'mid down quickly. An episode of Trout TV had Brian Chan also using a swivel as just a standard part of his rigging. Whether they are using it as weight to get around a lead ban I don't know. I do know however that having 2 'mids on at once and hooking a really hot fish can make a helluva mess with just 2 flies and an indicator. Adding in a swivel with 2 more knots and more surface to entangle seems counterproductive, things seem to get messed up enough without it.

Ive

4. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    Dave,
    If you decide to use a swivel, check out the Vision Rolling Barrel Swivels.
    They make them down to size 12, which is a incredibly small swivel.
    SF

5. Scott Salzer

This is from page 10 of the regs. If I was an enforcement officer with WDFW, I would consider the swivel as a weight. What other purpose would it serve? Guess you could take your chances on FF Only.

Of course, this applies only to "Fly Fish Only".

yarn cover a minimum of half of the shank of

the hook. Metallic colored tape, tinsel, mylar, or

bead eyes may be used as an integral part of

the design of the fly pattern.

Fly Fishing Only In “Fly Fishing Only” waters,
    an angler may use only the following tackle: up
    to 2 flies, each with a barbless single-point hook,
    not to exceed ½ from point to shank, and a
    conventional fly line (other line may be used for
    backing or leader if attached to at least 25 feet of
    fly line). Anglers may not use fixed spool reels,
    bait, or weight attached to the leader or line.
    Only knotless nets may be used to land fish.
    An angler with a disability, who has been issued
    a special use disability permit and has it in
    their possession, may fish in “Fly Fishing Only”
    waters with spin casting gear, with a casting
    bubble, and may use an electric motor while
    fishing on “Fly Fishing Only” lakes where fishing
    from a boat is allowed. All other restrictions li

6. Obsessed

Obsessed Member

Media:
    I recently saw a video from Chan/Rowley where they used swivels. My recollection is that they provided three reasons to use a swivel: 1) as a bobber stop for slip indicators, 2) as additional weight and 3) as an attractor to help determine the depth the fish are cruising at (if fish are biting a swivel I'm not sure why I bother with tying specific patterns :)). Sounds like #2 can make it a no go for fly fishing only waters.

7. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    No, no, no, no, no, no, no, and I repeat once again no. Do not use a swivel. Yes fish will eat a swivel, or try to anyway.

anti.team likes this.
  8. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

So.... it's okay to use a swivel, as long as you have a hook on it too. :p

KevinLS likes this.
  9. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    I can't see a good reason for one. I usually fish two chironomids, one beadhead, the other not. They get down plenty quick. I try to keep things as uncomplicated as possible. Adding another component seems unnecessary.

10. typhoon

typhoon I fish

In B.C. swivels are used in deep water under an indicator to get the chironomid down quickly.
    It is illegal to use 2 flies everywhere, and in our fly fishing only waters both the indicator and a swivel would be illegal. Oh, and lead is legal here.
    Many top fishers have switched to tungsten beadhead chironomids to reduce tangles with long 20+ foott leaders.

11. Lue Taylor

Lue Taylor Lue Taylor/dbfly

Huh?????

12. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

I don't believe I'll ever question Chan or Rowley's successes and/or methods for fishing lakes.
    They seem to be pretty good at their craft.
    Having said that, the old saying "there's more than one way to skin a cat" holds true here, I'm sure.

Olive bugger likes this.
  13. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    If Chan and Rowley fished in Washington they would fish two flies and skip the swivel.

14. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    I tried it once, but ultimately... What purpose does it serve?

My tungsten bead flies get down PLENTY fast. No need to add a swivel. Just one extra piece to the equation. I thought maybe it would make it easier to change tippet, but it didn't. It was just a hassle.

Mark Kraniger likes this.
  15. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Media:
    The only thing I can see is if you change flies alot (thus blow through your tippet quick) it would keep you from using up your main leader everytime you have to change your tippet. But really, this is true with and part of all fly fishing.

16. kbrooks

kbrooks tight lines

I called the Fish and Game Department about this last year because I had seen a presentation where someone had used a small swivel in their setup. After the office people discussed it with their wardens, they called me back to let me know that it was legal in a flyfishing lake if it was being used when trolling to keep your line from getting tangled. They indicated that it would be up to the field officer to determine what you were using the swivel for. Kirk

17. Scott Salzer

That's kind of a "huh?" comment. "Up to the field officer" would be a use-no-swivel to me.

18. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    Good luck finding a field officer out on a fly fishing only lake to check why you were using the swivel. I'm going to go ahead and guess that they will not care.

mtskibum16 likes this.
  19. timlind

timlind Member

Just saw this and had to comment. I started using a barrel swivel attaching fly line to leader when fishing 2 chironomids. It keeps them from tangling since it allows the line to spin. I've fished this way with 2 chironomids all summer and NEVER tangled. A different story without it.

jwg and dbfly like this.
  20. shaker jake

shaker jake New Member

I had an email exchange with an enforcement officer a year ago on the legal side of using swivels and other sundry materials in fly only lakes. I asked 5 questions -

Here are the questions related to fishing on fly only lakes –
    1. Can lead wire (or lead free wire) be wrapped under the body of the fly?
    2. Can dumbbell eyes (not beads) be used?
    3. Can we use a small tippet ring between the tippet material and the rest of the fly leader?
    4. Can we use a very small swivel instead of a tippet ring between tippet and leader? Something like a size 14 swivel, which will almost float from surface tension when dry?

5. Are we allowed to use indicators to suspend our fly while chironomid fishing?

Here is WDFW Ralph Downes' answer.

Hi Jake,
    As we discussed, the answer is yes to all five. I see all of your questions to relate to the construction of the lure or fly and not moving into the realm of regulatory concern pertaining to the fly fishing. Assuming of coarse that the conditions we discussed and you noted below are adhered to. A “purist” may disagree, but that will be for you and your fellow fly fishers to debate. Should you find anyone who disagrees with my stance, please point them my direction so we can resolve any questions that might exist. Please feel free to give a yell anytime and I look forward to seeing you out there………….Ralph

I was also curious about whether trout were attracted to swivels, which I always use when fishing chironomids. So last summer I fished 3 rods one day and counted "takes" on each of the rods. All three rods had the swivel hanging 10' under an indicator. Two of the rods also had a single chironomid handing 3' below the swivel (I have a two rod endorsement). After a couple of hours the count was chironomid 24 dips and swivel (no fly) 0. I don't remember how many of those takes resulted in fish to hand.

I'm not saying that they never strike at a swivel. It's just that on this day they didn't seem to be too attracted to it.