T-6 months away: Just getting giddy with anticipation!

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by yellowlab, Feb 3, 2011.

1. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

never done any real amount of beach fishing for pinks, but I plan to do a lot this year. I know a few beaches good for SRC's and rezzies, but I dont know if they are the ticket for pinks or not. I really want to get em salt fresh this year. Delicious on the ol' BBQ and always a blast to catch. I prefer my 8 wt over my 5 wt for pinks, because in the rivers that time of year, you never know when a piece of steel will connect!!! If I had a 6 switch Id be using that

2. If the state of WA ever did an analysis on the sheer revenue that this fishery brings in, maybe they'd get their heads out of their A$$E$ and work on restoring the runs of native King and Steelhead. If wild Pinks can thrive why can't wild Kings and Steelhead do the same? Perhaps its the low commercial value, but imagine if we have even a third of the run #'s?????

3. powderglut

powderglut My Kind Of Wave

Just wondering if the Pink run is still likely to be on the beaches on SJI last week of Sep. Or is it pretty much done with a straggler or two?
    Maybe it won't matter because they'll be so many silvers taking their place. Pinks would be nice though!

4. Done by end of Sept. up in the San Juans. They'll be in the rivers by then and humped and colored up, I'll pass on fishing for them in the rivers.

5. powderglut

powderglut My Kind Of Wave

Hopefully I'll just have to settle for silvers. Hopefully!!!

6. wet line

wet line New Member

Saltwater Pinks can be some really good fare but certain things must be done to insure the quality.

After catching bleed and then put on ice! This is the most important!!
    Fillet and remove the skin and then soak in a mild 50 - 50 brine of non-iodized salt and sugar. Add some seasoning to taste. I like pepper salt, a bit of garlic and some bay leaf. Soak for a couple of hours if broiling or on the barbe.
    Rinse the fillets and let dry for maybe 4 or 5 hours in the frig. More is better.
    An hour before cooking cover the fillet with dark brown sugar or molasses and let sit until cooking.
    Slide the fillets under the broiler on a low rack or on the barbe. About `10 minutes or so and then turn over and sprinkle more brown sugar on the filllet and finish off. When the flakes open up you have a wonderful piece of salmon.

Dave

7. Speychucker

Speychucker New Member

What a timely thread, I've started tying for our Fraser River run of pinks ( never said I was fast ). Always enjoy there willingness to chase a fly, my daughter started fishing for them when she was 8 yrs old and still comes along on couple trips every odd year. I love it, she's 21 now.

8. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Media:
    wow Dave, that is some prep work! I'm sure it tastes good, but I don't know if I'd go through all that work. If I catch some this summer I might just have to try it out though!

I used my 5wt switch last summer, and had no problem what-so-ever getting the pinks in without taking too long. I didn't catch a five pounder, but it seemed easy enough. Now in a river would be another story.

9. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

Sounds like there is a lot of interest in the pinks. As always, I'll be on the beach at Dash Point or nearby. I agree with bleeding and icing immediately. I always have a cooler with ice if I plan to keep the fish. I like them with mango salsa on top and then on the barbie. I don't skin them but lay them on foil. When they slide off the foil, they're ready to eat. They are also really good smoked if you are into smoked fish.

I used a 6 wt. for a long time and then the fish later in the run seemed to be getting bigger. I broke the tip and had to send the rod in for repair. While it was out, I switched to an 8 wt. Redington CPS. It's very light for an 8 wt. so I can feel it when I hook a good fish. Four years ago I lnded a 9 lb. 12 oz. male that had not yet raised its hump. That was a hell of a Pink, even on the 8 wt. Looking forward to more like that.

10. Tom Bowden

Tom Bowden Active Member

Media:
    I agree with Mr. Saville about using an 8 wt. Though Pinks don't make a big run when first hooked, they go crazy when you get them close to the beach or your boat. A heavier rod, and a heavy 10-12 lb. leader, gives you better control over the fish at this critical point when it would be easy to break your rod. My favorite rod for Pinks is an 8'6" 8-wt bamboo rod that I made.

I use a blue "Katch-Kooler" (available at the big outdoor stores) to keep fish on ice. It works really well, and fits under the hatch of my sit-on-top kayak. I've found that fish caught early in the run taste a lot better than ones caught at the end of August; maybe because the earlier fish are further away from spawning; maybe because we get tired of eating them.

As for flies, I like relatively small ones tied with bright florescent pink materials. My favorite at the end of the 2009 season had a wing made of pink synthetic fibers that were marketed as "artificial polar bear hair" many years ago, with a large silver bead chain at the head. You don't necessarily need to fish pink flies. A guy I fished with caught a lot of fish on olive-over-white Clouser Minnows.

Tom

11. That's true Tom, I've also caught them on magenta and chartreuse. Sometimes when that color has been thrown to them a thousand times a change up in color and or size is the ticket. I'll go with a smaller size first before I change color.

12. Porter

Porter Active Member

I use a stout 6 on Pinks...TCR, which is probably more like a 7.5 weight. Before my TCR I used a 7 or 8 weight. On occassion I have hooked silvers, and once a steelhead when targeting pinks. Having, at minimum, a good strong fighting 6 weight is a good idea (IMHO).

13. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

Media:
    i am not the biggest fan of pinks, but i think all of that is a little overkill. i prefer oilier salmon than pinks, but have had numerous saltwater pinks cooked just like i would fresh coho or chinook... which is simply with salt and pepper and maybe a wedge or two of lemon (either during if baking or after if grilling).

of course, the key is not just to bleed the fish and ice them... but to remove their guts asap and pack the belly cavity with ice. i usually wait for the fish to bleed 5-10 minutes and then gut the fish and pack it with ice. no belly burn and it makes them much easier to filet later.

14. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Media:
    Let the pink salmon run drumbeat begin.

I live very close to Picnic Point now, so I'll be fishing for them in September. Eating them off the BBQ? I don't think so. Best to brine and smoke the slimy critters.

Hopefully the Japanese don't like the tast of pink salmon eggs or their runs will be destroyed by the commercial nets like our once very healthy S river wild chum runs.

15. Jordan Simpson

Jordan Simpson Active Member

Media:
    Ah, I actually just read this after seeing it on the board for a while- I totally agree: one of the best lil' fisheries! Floating line, pink DDH leach or clouser (even a pollywog) and some tight lines!

16. Gregg Lundgren

Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

Media:
    DimeBright, I hope to see you down there starting in August, rather than September. I live less than 10 minutes away, and have done many a bonk, bleed, and BBQ; sometimes within an hour. Good table fare under those conditions. I mostly dedicate September to the Snohomish/Sky and the Skagit... that's when the smoking of mass quantities begins!

17. salt dog

salt dog card shark

Media:
    I've been smiling reading this thread. LOTS of cabin fever going around for sure, but hey, I'm in. Best part of the run: perfectly flat August Sound with the motor shut down waiting for first light, and hearing the sound of splashing fish in the dark. As the morning starts to lighten up, motoring toward a pod that showed itself in the distance, then shutting down and gliding silently toward where you expect the pod to reappear, standing on the bow ready to cast. Sweet anticipation.

18. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Media:

No worries, I'll be there in late August too (unless the silver fishing is hot at another beach). The last time I BBQed a freshly bled and iced pink straight from the saltwater it tasted like cat food. I must not have the gene.

19. salt dog

salt dog card shark

Media:
    Been there. My dog wouldn't even eat it. Gotta brine for a couple of hours and let sit in the refrigerator a bit, otherwise they do taste poorly. Still not King or Coho mind you, but good clean protein. A lot of fresh water fish caught in turbid water taste like mud unless you let them sit in a salt solution. The brine draws out the impurities.

20. markdmc

markdmc New Member

Pinks from the beach is one of my top 5 fishing experiences in my 4 years in Washington. I only got a chance to do it in 2007, but it was thrilling. I had some time off and was able to hit PP midweek. Not much going on at dawn, but the low tides in the early afternoon were fantastically memorable. Me and maybe 2 or 3 others, sunshine, lots of biters, just great stuff. 6wt. intermediate line, comets and small pink over white clousers, both with bead chain eyes. I had a hard time landing them at first. It seemed they would hit and then come unhooked. I finally started landing them when I would strip set and then continue to strip hard and long 3 or 4 times until the fish seemed to turn for a run and keeping the pressure on was easy then. Anyone else had this experience with them? It seemed that they would move toward you for a few feet and I would lose them from lack of pressure.