Tacoma Narrows (Gig Harbor side)

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Tom Johnston, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Tom Johnston

Tom Johnston Been around a while

Media:
    That goes for I as well.

2. Jake Bannon

Jake Bannon nymphs for steelhead....

Media:

They come in pretty close....Ive caught returning coho in water less than knee deep before. All I saw was a big wake right behind my fly before it was slammed. Thats why some have said not to wade very deep. By the way I had just bought a RIO outbound the other day off the classifides and took it out for my first time yesterday, its a great line but Im going to have to get used to it. Very different from my previous line however it shoots throught the guides with ease.

Jake

3. Tom Johnston

Media:
    Cool Jake, thanks for the info on the Rio line.

4. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    TJ,

Having read your thread, one thought rings louder than anything else. If you want to make longer casts, you need to learn to cast better. It isn't the rod. It's you. There are next to zero bad rods on the market these days, and Lamiglass isn't one of them. A new line won't make you a better caster, but a good line intended for salt water fishing might be more pleasant to use. I don't know. I have lines that were inexpensive and some higher end ones, and I can cast them all about the same distance, for what that's worth. You'll be money ahead to spend your $ on casting instruction long before you'll be able to extract the tiny extra performance potential inherent in a high end rod.

I don't fish the saltwater beaches so I don't know the value of a stripping basket in that application, but I'd heed the advice of experienced anglers who say it makes a big difference.

Good luck!

Sg

5. Tom Johnston

Media:
    Thanks SG, I have been looking around to who does classes. Found one person, might have to give them a call and set up some lessons.

6. Jake Bannon

Jake Bannon nymphs for steelhead....

Media:
    What helped me become a better caster is when I started out I would go onto my lawn and place frisbees in different places and try to cast to them backcasting as little as I could. It really helped in the long run, but when your done make sure to clean your line or else with will get full of dirt and get damaged. I learned the hard way.....

7. Tom Johnston

Media:
    Just regular ol fly casting I am not bad at, I just try and muscle out more line than I can handle. Just need to work on some technique. I have only been out a handful of times, and seem to start remembering what I am suppose to do. I know I need more practice, so that is my excuse to go out more and more. Dont have a lawn to practice on I live in a 3rd floor apartment. Guess I could go to the park.

8. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    Dave,
    You crack me up!

Tommy,
    As Jake said, the fish will come incredibly close to shore. Make sure you continue to strip your fly in at the end of your cast. Some fish will grab your fly right at the rod tip.

Here is another technique that has work well for me. Quickly sweep your rod up current across your body as you you near the end of your cast.
    As an example, say you are casting and the current is moving from your right to your left. Naturally, the current will pull and move your line to the left as you retrieve it. After you are done stripping, swing your rod quickly across your body from the your left to your right. Swing your rod until it is parallel with the beach to your right.
    You'll get to watch your fly zoom by in front of you as you swing your rod. It is pretty cool to see a silver zoom through the current and gives you a full broadside view of it inhaling your fly.
    I think the reason this works well is the increase in the speed of the fly. The fish has likely been following your fly during your retieve but hasn't commited to taking it. That bit of increase in the speed due to the swing of your rod seems to turn them into biters.

9. Tom Johnston

Media:
    Oh I see, I did that once while fishing SRC and got a strike off of it. Thought to self they just did not like the presentation I was giving, but liked the end.

10. Wayne Chan

Wayne Chan Member

I am not a casting expert by any means, but I am wondering if you've firgured out the sweet spot of your rod/line combo yet? There seems to be a sweet spot for every rod/line combination I've ever casted where any more line out starts losing power and height. A good double haul at the sweet spot shoots the line out. I've heard people suggest actually marking the sweet spot on your line, but I've never done that.
    Another question may be what weight rod/line are you using to cast what kind of flies? If there's a head wind, and I'm trying to cast #2 Clousers with my 6 wt, I'm going to get my line falling in a pile right in front of me. I know good casters can get them out, but I try for equipment advantage when I can get it. My 8 weight will punch through the wind much better with heavy flies. And it happens to be a Lamiglass.

11. Tom Johnston

Media:
    Yeah I have kind of noticed one, and its about 20-30ft out. Anything after that I am playing with the devil(have shot it tops 40 ft). Also alot of it has to do with too much line in the water by my knees.

12. Tom Bowden

Tom Bowden Active Member

Media:
    Distance casting is definitely a skill we should all learn, but sometimes stealth is a better approach. I try to make my first casts while crouching down 10-15 feet from the water, and I've caught many fish just a few feet from shore. Sea-runs often hold incredibly close-in, but will bolt for the deep as soon as a predator like us steps into the water.

Tom

13. Banzai

Banzai FFing and VWs...Bugs & Bugs

I agree. I'll put my first cast in the water from 15-20 ft up from waters edge. Most days I'll be into a fish before my boots ever touch water. Generally, I will purposely not wear waders just to remind myself I don't need to get my feet wet in order to find SRCs and Coho. Caveat here is the type of beach you are standing on. That said, practice your casting, get lessons, and practice some more. Luckily the beach is only about 5 min from my house so I can practice in the water, but the park attached to it works just as well, and there is no distraction from the fish, current, etc.. Plus you can ususally turn and face into, away from or sideways to the wind so you can practice varied conditions of wind. Who knows, you might even make a friend while practicing. Last summer I had some little kids come down to where I was just to watch. I introduced a couple of them to fly casting and fishing as well as some older folks.

14. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    iagree

I'm a hack and what everyone has told me is the same. Casting practice, casting lessions, casting improvement and the rest is all in the gear that I have already sunk my money into. Just tonight I was checking out 3wts and for the first time ever the shop owner spooled up a line, put on a reel and took me outside to cast. I was hesitend about the echo rod he recommended because it felt noodly to me in the store and I'm not a polished caster. He demoed a few loops and handed it over. He stayed at least 30 minutes later than the shop closed, sure in part to make a sale, but I think more importantly to give me a few tips to see how a smooth casting action yeilds better casting distance and accuracy. I have been casting a lot, I mean A LOT lately and I know I'm getting better with my fast action rods, but his time and suggestions immediately paid off for me. They teach casting too, in a class or with private instructors. I'm sure your local ffshop does to, but if not...www.peninsulaoutfitters.com I know I will be taking some of their classes to improve my skills. Flyfishing is a blast. Why not maximize it by being talented too?

15. Tom Johnston

Media:
    So did he make the sale? Is the Echo line of rods pretty nice?

16. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    I got the echo, preferred it slightly over the sage launch and a tfo. The launch was a two piece model and I wanted more packability. The launch was also a faster action rod, much more like my other rods, and I liked the smooth mid flex of the echo for the 3wt line.

17. Tom Johnston

Media:
    Cool, good to see you added another rod to the arsenol!

18. Sageman

Sageman Member

I agree regarding the rods. A good fly caster can double haul a good distance on an old fiberglass rod if they have the proper technique. Fly line, however can make a huge difference if it is not in decent shape. I went down to Belize about 3-4 years ago for my first ever bonefishing trip. I was actually embarassed at how horrible my casting was. The guide kept trying to make me feel better and telling me that lots of people have trouble in the wind, yada, yada, yada..... That night I examined my line and noted it was dirty and showing a lot of wear. I had another reel with a new line on it and took that one out 2 days later and was double hauling almost to my backing. I also caught a lot more fish that day because the guide could stay off the fish further. Most of the fishing I do are in rivers and rarely do I need to make 50'+ casts, so I didn't realize how bad my line had gotten until I was in the open water and needed to make longer casts.

19. rotato

rotato Active Member

TJ
    you will be stoked on how a wf intermediate hucks
    before you buy a new rod, check one out
    i found that buying a outbound and building a basket made me feel legit
    about practice if you have no backyard you might as well goto Owens beach that way you learn tide and wind and who knows big fish roll thru there
    peace

20. Tom Johnston

Media:
    The only thing I dont like about Owens beach is there are so many people there. I noticed parents dont really watch there kids and I really have to watch behind me when kids are around. Hate to snag a kid and have to get into a fight with the parents.