Tacoma Narrows (Gig Harbor side)

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Tom Johnston, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Tom Johnston Been around a while

Lala land!
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Got two questions. One is there a difference between a 2 piece or a 4 piece other than the 4 piece breaks down smaller? Also if I bought a 8wt rod, would it be bad if I had 6wt line on it? Kind of want the next rod to use in the river when the salmon are running. I know when I salmon fish I should go to a 8wt line.
  2. Preston Active Member

Ratings: +423 / 0
    Most modern rods are designed to retain a similar action regardless of the number of pieces so, essentially, no, there should be no appreciable difference.

Although most graphite rods can handle a range of line weights, keep in mind that the rod is designed to load with a particular amount of weight. Going to a lower line weight means that, to compensate for the lighter line weight, you will have to be able to handle a greater length of line in the air while casting. I would hesitate to go more than one weight lighter and still expect to be able to cast comfortably, particularly on the beach where distance is usually important.
  3. Tom Johnston Been around a while

Lala land!
    Cool thanks for the info, thought about it and did not have an answer so I asked.:thumb:
  4. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,324 / 9
    I actually have a spare spool for my 8wt that has a 9wt line on it. When windy I change to the 9wt just to aid in loading the line faster and better casting in the wind. My father in law recommended that approach and I tried it. When the wind is blowing I still struggle, but not nearly as much and can get some decent amount of line out into the water.
  5. Tom Johnston Been around a while

Lala land!
    Yeah, I think Ill get an extra spool and put some 8wt on it. So I can switch back and forth as needed from rod to rod.
  6. Tom Johnston Been around a while

Lala land!
    Just bought the 8wt TFO Pro 4 piece rod today. Gonna go and throw it tomarrow.
  7. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    dude you guys need to go fish more and post less.
  8. Tom Johnston Been around a while

Lala land!
    I know I am pretty sad. Too damn hot right now. On the water would be like laying on foil.
  9. Gertie's Pa New Member

Lacey, WA
    One of my tricks to get a little extra distance is to use one size smaller line than the rod. Using, for example, a 4 wt line with a5wt rod seems to load better a longer distances. I seem to get a bit more punch.
  10. Rackaholic New Member

Seattle, Washington
    ??????????? That flys in the face of my reasoning.(no pun)
  11. riseform Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +269 / 0
    I've heard this argument before. The lighter line has two advantages. One is less wind resistance. The second is that more line will be out in order to properly load the rod, so you're automatically casting more line before you shoot any.
  12. Roger Stephens Active Member

Ratings: +297 / 0
    I will have to respectively disagree with underlining a rod when fly fishing on Puget Sound. I am talking about 6 wt. rods.

Dealing with breezy conditions is often the norm when trying to "boom" long casts on the "Sound". A lighter line will be more at the mercy of any wind. Under these conditions, I prefer to overline a rod as it is able to "punch" through the wind a lot better. It works for me particularly when casting heavy or bulky fly patterns!

Roger
  13. riseform Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +269 / 0
    I have to admit I don't underline a rod either, I just know the reason people claim it works for them.

As for the Narrows, today was a splendid morning. I hit the beach right at slack tide and found fish chasing baitfish at the current seam. Got many strikes (Whitlock sheep shad, tied gray/green) and one LDR that spun off two feet from shore. The spectacle of the fleeing baitfish was impressive, giving away the path of the cruising fish like bubbles would a scuba diver.
  14. Jon Brengan flyfishing addict

Seattle, Washington, U.S.A.
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    Tommy - I no expert, but it sounds like your having a collapsing loop on your foward cast. I'm notorious for this especially as the day wears along. I have to constantly remind myself not to flatten my wrist out on the forward cast, that movement seems to kill your loop. The above suggestions about a casting lesson could help since you know what your problem is; I've found the folks at flyshops fairly helpful when you come in with a specific issue - they usually will even take you out back (if room is available) for a quick rundown on how to tackle the problem. Double haul is a good thing to learn too, and they'll usually show you the basics too.