Tactical Handgun Course

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by David Prutsman, Feb 4, 2008.

1. David Prutsman

David Prutsman All men are equal before fish

I've been shooting pistols for quite a while but have never actually received formal training on the subject of tactical hand gunning. Even though I see myself as being a decent and competent hand gunner, I do not have any John Wayne illusions of my abilities and know there is always room for improvement.

I'm sure I would have no problem finding a general hand gun course which will teach me to kill paper on a range but I already know how to do that. I would prefer a more tactical course with a focus on self defense. I'd like to learn and practice more about shooting around objects, changing out mags, off hand shooting, things of that nature.

Are there such courses available? I'd like to hear your experiences, was/is it worthwhile (any training is better than no training)?

Thanks Gents,
    David

2. TrappedinCO

TrappedinCO Help! I'm trapped in a landlocked state.

Media:
    Check out Gunsite. A google search will yield their website.

3. martyg

martyg Active Member

http://www.insightstraining.com/us/

They do a lot of FTU training for various LE compenents around the country, and have courses from intro handgun handling to two week tactical assault courses.

You might also want to look into non-weapons course to round out your total self defense package. Check out http://www.safetyfirstpps.org/

4. David Prutsman

Maryg,

You're absolutely right about being well rounded with regards to self defense. I've been looking into Krav Maga quite heavily, I'm impressed with what I've read and seen. Seems to be a very practical martial art, brutal as well.

David

5. Citori

Citori Piscatorial Engineer

6. David Prutsman

Holy crap, $150 for and 8 hour course, that's worth the drive!

7. martyg

martyg Active Member

Hook up with John Crane, Bill Kortenback or Kelly Warden. They all have roots in Isshiryu, which is a very street oriented form or Okinawan Karate. All integrate various levels of self defense, much of which is shared by Krav Maga, Pencak Silat, etc.

Your goal should not be to be good at a lot of techniques, but rather totally instinctive at a couple - a few basics, like countering someone's should attack with an opening and a few well placed death blows, should be like breathing in your sleep.

Safety First will go a long way towards that. It is one of the few instances were you will be able to go full-force against another human without jail time. Both my wife and daughter went throught it, and any husband / father has an obligaton to do the same.