Tactics for Springers on the Spey...

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by JesseC, May 31, 2012.

1. Derek Young

Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Media:
    Home Page:
    Try a double-wide mobile home, sprinkle in severe obesity, a few tattoo's...

fredaevans and Red Shed like this.
  2. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Media:
    The assortment of replies here is pretty cool in my mind. There is such a long history of "proper technique" for swinging steelhead that a person can quote any number of books written and "be right." but when you start discussing spring chinook on the fly you only have what you learned for yourself. Pretty cool what happens when tradition isn't there to limit your train of thought an people just fish for fishings sake.

The last two years I've dedicated some time to spring chinook. Water conditions are the most important factor in my eyes. Developing an eye for springer taking water is probably next on the list. Think typical steelhead water just possibly a tad faster swing to it an ideally a good chop or boil to it to really break up the surface. From my experience they are super aggressive to the fly both hatchery and wilds alike. So a little speed on the swing can be a good thing. Super heavy tips and giant flies may sound like the answer but this is not true. The only thing that should always be heavy is your tippet and the rock you bonk em with.

Blake Harmon likes this.