Tagged resident silver

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Roger Stephens, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

The first part of this winter, two resident silvers which I caught and kept in Marine Area 13 were scanned by the Fish&Wildlife checker at the boat ramp and found to have wire codes. A couple of weeks ago, the same fish checker was at the ramp and said that you won't believe where those two wire coded fish came from. The first fish came from the Quilcene River hatchery(thought that it was a Federal facility?) on Hood Canal and the second fish came from a hatchery north of Seattle. That is pretty amazing that they ended up in the South Sound.

I always thought the resident silvers tended to migrated to the north or out to the Strait of Jaun De Fuca. Also, I thought that most of the resident silvers were fish that were delayed-released from the net pens at Squaxin Island. How wrong I was!

This week, I am going to call Andy Appleby who is a Fish&Wildlife fisheries biologist doing research on the resident silvers and maybe he will have some insights. This past winter, F&W implanted some resident silvers with telemetry to monitor the movement of these fish. When I get in touch with him, I'll post what he has to say.

2. papafsh

papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Media:
    Home Page:
    Hummmmm...that should be very interesting, Thanks for sharing I'll be waiting to hear what you find out.

LB

3. calebsb

calebsb New Member

I heard about six years back of a tagged silver from the Columbia that was picked up in the Dungeness. Seems like one of the salmon's survival traits is for a small number of them to get lost or ignore their homing beacons for whatever reason. Must come in handy during an ice age or natural disaster.