Taking a Client Hunting

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by JesseC, Sep 23, 2010.

1. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:
    Well, I've gotten myself into a pickle. Got into a discussion with a potential client about how much I hated golf and how hunting upland game was a better use of time. Well, he took me up on the offer. Problem is, I haven't hunted since I left Northern Nevada.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a good guide for two guys? I was thinking about calling up Red's flyshop because I know they do Pheasant hunts, but if anyone else has some better ideas within a day trip striking distance of Seattle, I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks fellas.
    -Jesse

2. Galpster

Galpster New Member

Google bird hunting at Stillwater. They release a bunch of birds there every year and it is really close, by Carnation.

3. Jonathan Walkenberg

Jonathan Walkenberg Member

Northflight offers some upland hunts i believe.

4. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

Media:
    Does he hunt chukars? how good an opportunity is this guy for you?

5. wet line

wet line New Member

They do release pheasant at Stillwater but it is a crazy place to hunt and down right dangerous at times. You would absolutely need a dog if hunting there.

Cooke Canyon in Ellensburg is an option. You pay for the number of birds you want to shoot and I believe they have dogs available.

An interesting place to hunt is along Crab Creek starting just east of Beverly. There are miles of public land along the creek. Pheasant and quail are the game but don't be surprised by Chuckar every now and then.

The Yakima Reservation can provide some good shooting. You need to by a tribal permit. There is a lot of land available and quail numbers can be really good some years as well as pheasant. You might want to call

the tribal offices for more info and quidance.

The Toppenish Wildlife area has some decent upland hunting. You will need to contact the regional WDFW office to get the particulars. I have had some very good quail shoots in there and a pheasant or three. There can be some darned good duck hunting in there at times too.

Investigate those areas and see what you think. A few phone calls will give you a lot of info.

A preseason trip to scout out Crab Creek, the Reservation and Toppenish is probably in order.
    let me know how those pan out. There are a few other places in that general area that can be productive at times.

Dave

6. martyg

martyg Active Member

Go to Cooke Canyon in E-burg. I have never hunted with Red's but my guess is that they get their birds from Cooke Canyon anyway. Doug can provide the total guide / dog deal and make it as laid back or as challenging as you want. It is released birds, and the shooting of birds and not hunting, but it is still being out in the field.

For wild birds contact Dry Hollow Ranch (Google them). They can do released or get you into wild birds - but be prepared to walk.

7. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    Yup, Cooke Canyon. Nice place, nice folks. Chukars or pheasant, you pick. Cackle birds are showy and fun for a beginner. If they have a current litter, you could even go home with a new puppy.

8. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:
    Wow - thanks for all the great recommendations folks. Looks like it's about the same as fishing around here - more options that I'll probably get through in 5 years ;)

I'm looking forward to it like none other.

As an aside, if you guys ever make a trip out to NV - drop me a line for some intel. Decent quail and dove seasons down there.

9. andrew

andrew Active Member

Media:
    I place my money on Cooke Canyon too. BTW - I can be a client too? :clown:

10. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

I've hunted at Red's and it is some nice terrain to hunt with a great view of the Yakima River below you. I don't think Red's has any dogs for hunters, it is bring your own, so Cooke Canyon sounds like your place. If I still had my old dog I would offer to be your guide, but my new puppy is still too wild to be reliable yet! Rick

11. ribka

ribka Active Member

Another for Cooke Canyon. Treat you well there.

12. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:
    thanks again for the recommendations guys. I just booked the day at Cooke Canyon. We're going to do a morning hunt, which means we should be out of there around noon.

Maybe I'll be able to sneak some time out on the river ;) Orrrrrr, hike up a spring creek to find some turkeys/quail!

13. floatinghat

floatinghat Member

Give us a report!

14. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    No quail until October 2nd. Read your regs...that's if you are heading over this weekend...

15. YoungGun9

YoungGun9 Member

Cooke Canyon:thumb: Great place to learn and the people are really nice.

16. Mr.E

Mr.E He called me an Elitist ?? LOL ..what a moron

You made the right choice booking with Doug and Alice at Cooke Canyon. Alice makes one mean Pheasant Stew! So make sure after your hunt, get you and your client a few bowls of chow right there at their shop. Good shooting and give us a report on how your hunt went.

17. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:
    heading over Oct 3rd. Thanks for the reminder though.

18. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:
    Just wanted to say thanks for the recommendation guys. We had a great time. Only one convict managed to earn his freedom. View attachment 34810 Alice and Doug were top notch hosts and I'm sure I'll make my way back over there sometime soon. Actually, now that I have a membership, if any of you guys want to split some birds, just let me know.

We also did some heavy hiking near some Ellensburg creeks for quail. We managed to put on the miles, but the birds were sticking close to the ground and moving quick. We flushed them to one side of the canyon, then crossed and came back the other way, enjoying the thrill of pumping some rounds into outer space.

I don't think shooting pheasant (cargo planes) all morning is a good appetizer for quail. (f22 raptors). It was a damn good time though- can't wait to get back in the field.

-Jesse