Taking the wife down to the river......

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Seth Tyson, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Seth Tyson

Seth Tyson Active Member

Media:
    My wife recently asked what I would like for my birthday; I leaped at the chance to take her fishing. Obviously this isn't the greatest time of year to take someone new to flyfishing out on the water. Our options for water are slim ,as we cannot travel far (due to the new baby at home). I know where we will go (the Spokane) and I know she will get a fish (this spot has never let me down).

Is there any secrets to making sure a [fishing-phobic] spouse has an enjoyable experience on the water?

I know they make those floating candles now....

Im not sure what kind of sorcery all you with fly-fishing wives used, but please tell me.....

2. ryfly

ryfly Addicted to flyfishing

Cocktails followed by a trip to the spa.

Rob Hardman, dfl and fredaevans like this.
  3. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Media:
    Home Page:
    The only way I know is to leave them at the mall with a credit card.

Go Sox,
    cds

dfl likes this.
  4. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

RF got it right. Leave the rods in the trunk of the car and 'cuddle' with the 'special ones.' You can fish later; now is "Not Later." Just sit on some river bank, that for you at the moment may be an issue, and watch the water go by.

Maybe a nice dinner out followed by a rented 'Chick Flick' for the TV? A nice dinner out is not Pizza! First child.

You call ahead and make reservations; white table cloth and all. "Mr. and Mrs, Evans your table is ready, and may I suggest a special meal?" Handed back the Menu's and 'If you'd be so kind and what would you suggest for wine?'

"For your wife, none, but I have a very good ....."

Ate there two/three times a week with business clients so folks knew me well. At the end I asked for 'The Bill' and none; 'Do you know if it's a Boy or a Girl?'

God did that Guy get one hell of a tip.

dfl likes this.
  5. rory

rory Go Outside

Home Page:
    Hire a guide.

freestoneangler likes this.
  6. Kaiserman

Kaiserman Phil 4:11-13

Temporarily on earth, longing for home...

Yeah, 85 degree weather.

Dude, what are you thinking? Taking most woman fishing in Feb (who don't normally fish), is like asking a man to go shopping at the mall for 8 hrs! I don't care how many Cinnabon rolls you eat.

Delay your trip for July, and you can have a "second birthday". :p

7. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith Active Member

Media:
    Definitely go somewhere pretty with easy fish, in the SUMMER. And don't fish until she starts to figure it out or is cozy on a rock reading a book. A mini box of wine or some cold beers and a nice lunch couldn't hurt also.

flybill likes this.
  8. Bob Rankin

Bob Rankin Chasing fur and fish every second I get :)

How about we just give you a swift kick in the nuts and call it a day:) just kidding, I hope you have a great time!

9. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I tried to teach the wife one time how to fly fish. We loaded it all in the car, drove to the Yakima from Marysville. Stopped to rig up the rods and found out I left all my flies at home. But what the hell, it was a good day for a drive. The sun was out and we took the scenic route home.

10. teedub

teedub Active Member

The title "taking my wife down to the river" begs the question - "is she coming back with you?"

11. Phil Fravel

Phil Fravel Friendly

Media:
    Bottle of wine. flowers, and BBQ her somthing for a picknick out on the river bank. You will get your presant later

12. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Media:
    I agree with those above who said 'wait 'til summer.' My wife has taken up fly fishing in order to spend time with me, but it is definitely a fair-weather exercise, and we need to plan around trips where she has something else she can enjoy doing for part of the day, while I fish. Fortunately for me, this can be as simple as finding a good place to hang a hammock in the shade to read.

D

13. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Sure fire, this'll work.
    A cousin was invited to fly fish the Seychelles a few years ago. He and his friends, and all of the wives flew to Paris enroute. The wives checked into the Ritz Paris as the buddies flew on to the Seychelles and fished with guides and lodging on a huge trimaran for a week. The women spa'd, shopped and saw sights. The boys collected them (and baggage) on the return trip.
    Simple.

Conversely, I took my wife fishing with me once and she got $400 in fines. Long story suitable for a campfire, but the net result is that she has ZERO interest in fishing with me again. I got off cheap.

14. Kaiserman

Kaiserman Phil 4:11-13

Temporarily on earth, longing for home...
    Whoa.... wait a second here.

I finally see what you're up to. You want to take her when it's cold out, so that way she won't bug you to go all the time! Very clever!

;) :p

flybill likes this.
  15. John Wallace

John Wallace Active Member

Coach her a couple of times and let her be. She will get tried of hearing what she is doing wrong. Tell her how well she is doing for her first time. Get her where she can caught a fish. And most of all you are out to have fun with her, its not about catching fish but to be out with her!!!!!

16. SpokaneFisherman

SpokaneFisherman Member

Media:
    I have personally been down this road. First with my wife and now with two little girls. I think the responses so far (although a little sarcastic) are on the right track. If you want her to get interested in fly fishing for the long term I would not start her out in the winter on the Spokane's icy rocks. If you're going to do it, then keep it short and sweet and take her out during the warmest part of the day and then do a nice lunch and some drinks.

If you can break away for a half day I would hit up Rocky Ford. Being able to see the fish goes a long way towards keeping a beginner engaged. Fish a little bit in the middle of the day and then hit Chico's on the way home. Either way, good luck. Take it from someone who has been down this slippery slope. :)

17. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Truly I do envy you guys who's wives like to fish too. It just never stuck with any of my clan. That's ok too, but being a family man I won't likely fish as often. Maybe I should play more a**hole. Hard to imagine.
    G'luck.

Charles Sullivan likes this.
  18. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Media:
    Home Page:
    I hve found it's more important that the ladies in my life (wife and daughters) know that fishing is important to me rather than try to convince them to do it with me.

The younger women in my life have shown some interest. I provide them with anything they need to acompany me. The wife does not come. She hates cold, wet or anything on a boat (seasick). I no longer either ask.

Go Sox,
    cds

19. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

I'm in the same boat, except my girls are in and near college. My best hope is for a sporting son in law. That lucky bastard inherits the stable. But not soon I hope.

Old406Kid likes this.
  20. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

Is there any secrets to making sure a [fishing-phobic] spouse has an enjoyable experience on the water?

Get the wallet out , stay at red's lodge on the yak in july and hire a guide, Even if they hate fishing its a pleasant boat ride if you have some chilled wine and deli type snacks.