Taking the wife down to the river......

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Seth Tyson, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Trustfunder

Trustfunder Active Member

All bad advice, (a joke) the pitch, humor and spontaneity is the key in taking your wife fishing. This is when you learn the fish aren't the most important thing in life like you thought.

2. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    Don't do it! She'll outfish you. It's embarrassing, trust me;)

3. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Man you guy's make women out to be such "PUSSIES" what a crock!

I kinda felt the same way until I took a head coaching job for Fastpitch softball at the 13 to 14 yr. old range. I had already coached some 5 years of baseball from 10 yr. olds to 15. I have to say there were more "PUSSY" boy's than girls! It took me the first year to learn what or how hard to work the girls because I just didn't know what to expect. after the first year and ending at 500 for the season the second season I stepped it up and worked them much harder and was amazed how they responded to hard work, sliding practice in pouring down cold rain for 1 1/2 hours, Instead of complaining they all painted there face's with mud like a bunch of native Americans going to battle - war paint they called it - the battle of dirt and rain and learning the stand-up slide was on!!! They faced the fear of running as fast as they could and sliding down a 40 foot grass covered muddy hill throwing themselves down that hill with complete abandon about there own safety. I remembered a 14 year old boy who would not do this while coaching 13 to 15 yr old boy's!

If you want to treat women or kids like little pussies, well that's what you will get! We went 13 for 14 that second year and lost the district championship in extra innings! Did they cry like a bunch of girls? yep sure did as tears ran down my face also!!!

For me the outdoors (in winter) is about trying to defeat mother nature and sometimes losing. Having the right equipment for the battle and the adventure all that brings to the table. Why would we want it any different for a women? Explained before hand about all this from the scary drive to the strong currents to battle while wading and the pouring down rain and nice rain jacket to battle it should all be explained in advance.

The biggest and worst mistake I see when men take wives or girl friends or there daughters in when a fish is hooked! They get all intense and worried about the fish being lost (steelhead and salmon) and start freaking out! Yelling instructions and even grabbing the rod. Don't do it! this ruins more fisherman than anything else even boys and men let alone women and girls.

When this happens and the fish is lost (or even landed) they feel responsible for a ruined trip after all you both went through to hook that fish and never want to be responsible again but won't tell you why they don't want to go next time!

As far as food afterwards I suggest finding a nice little country bar with some claim chowder and flies or salad. Who the heck wants to have to baby someone just to have them go fishing with you? Well not me, and in my opinion no reason to ruin an "OUTDOOR ADVENTURE"

Seth Tyson likes this.
  4. Seth Tyson

Seth Tyson Active Member

Media:
    Thanks guys. I probably should have mentioned my wife is a veteran and tough as nails- so the cold and rain wont be a problem. Shes picking us up some beer today for the trip and seems excited. I may luck out after all.

Old406Kid and Mark Kraniger like this.
  5. Kaiserman

Kaiserman Phil 4:11-13

Temporarily on earth, longing for home...

Well shame on me, for thinking she was anything like my wife.

My wife is pretty tough too, but her temperature range is somewhere between a high 72* to a low 72*. :p

Seth Tyson and underachiever like this.
  6. Old406Kid

Old406Kid Active Member

Seth,
    If your hot spot is above Latah you should be good.
    I was kind of surprised when I checked early afternoon yesterday and still had about a foot of visibility below
    the Rifle Club. Must be totally blown by now.
    Have a great time.

7. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    After reading this thread I found it interesting nobody mentioned Neil Young's song. Am I the only smartass here?

Greg Armstrong and Old406Kid like this.
  8. Old406Kid

Old406Kid Active Member

Would "honey hole" be more appropriate?

9. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    +1. My wife's first experience was with an outfitter on the Bitterroot... one of the better decisions I've made.

10. Kaiserman

Kaiserman Phil 4:11-13

Temporarily on earth, longing for home...

In February?

Old406Kid likes this.
  11. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

I just booked the Skwala special at Red's for $399 for a night in Red's Lodge (big points there) a nice dinner at Valley Cafe in Ellensburg (not included in the price!), and a guided trip for us the next day. Fishing in March is a 6 hour thing so she shouldn't get bored, and I've always had awesome Skwala fishing that time of year-it is sure to be a great weekend for us! Rick

12. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

My wife, Virginia, put in years of bank time reading books, looking for bugs and taking photos. Eventually she decided she wanted to start flyfishing. Boy... that was an expensive decision... she wanted all of her own equipment so I had to buy additional rods, reels, vest, pontoon boat, waders, etc.

She prefers dry fly fishing so that's why we would make an annual fishing trip to the YNP area. You can use dry flies in Oregon but I do much better in moving and stillwaters with subsurface patterns. Eventually she learned the dead-drift dropper technique and can catch fish in rivers using that technique. However, now that we primarily fish lakes, she still uses dry flies as much as she can.

At East Lake she normally catches more trout than I... because once she's on the water I can't get her off! We keep in contact with each other via two-way radios so while I'm at the cabin tying flies at the picnic table, she's still out on the lake and gives me an account of the trout she's catching.

She's most definitely more into catching than fishing so if catching is slow, she is easily bored. So I need to pick places where she has a very good chance of catching lots of trout.

Seth Tyson and Richard Olmstead like this.
  13. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    Hey, I didn't pick the month, Seth did. Besides, as he stated "I probably should have mentioned my wife is a veteran and tough as nails- so the cold and rain wont be a problem"... so a few chunks of floating ice should be manageable. :D

14. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

When Gin first started fishing, she had two problems. One was the knots. It took her awhile to figure out the double clinch knot for changing flies. Even then, she came up with a knot that she finds easier to tie... it's some weird-ass thing that is kind'a over-kill for a knot but it is easy for her to tie and never breaks so I let her do her own thing -- as if I couldn't.

The second problem was the touching of the fish. She was afraid she was hurting them... she cares more about wildlife than many humans. I bought her a net and showed her how to use it so she could control the fish with very little touching of the critter. I also bought her a hook removal tool and that helped a lot.

Eventually she got over the "hurting the fish" concern.

I've only tried taking her steelhead fishing a few times. Like I said, she's more into catching than fishing and we all know that there's more fishing than catching when it comes to steelhead.

One day we were fishing the Siletz and she was bound and determined to catch something.

Me and our dog, Sage (RIP), were sitting on shore and watching her fish a run... for a long time. Sage wasn't all that keen on fishing because it wasn't enough about her. I tried tossing a stick for Sage but she became bored. She knew we were waiting for Gin to finally give up.

As we were sitting on the bank, Sage suddenly got up, jumped in the river and swam directly to Gin and torpedoed her in the butt with her snout then swam back to shore.

Virginia got the message that the dog was ready to go so she finally gave up fishing and we headed back to the rig.

triploidjunkie and flybill like this.