Talk to me about pinks in saltwater

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by o mykiss, Jun 29, 2005.

1. o mykiss

o mykiss Active Member

I'll be heading up to Camano Island a couple of times over the next couple of months. Two years ago I was up there on Port Susan Bay and there were pinks rolling and jumping all over the place. I hadn't done any advanced planning, so probably lacked the right flies and sure didn't know the right technique. I got some follows on black clousers, if I recall correctly, but couldn't get anything to bite. I know pink flies are the ticket in freshwater, but what kind of flies should I be fishing in saltwater, and how? A fellow at one of the local shops suggested casting small euphasid patterns on a full sink intermediate and just letting it sink. Any suggestions for a saltwater pink angling newbie? (I have access to a boat, which is how I went after them the last time. It lacks a motor but I could row to where the fish were thick.) Thanks in advance.

P.S. Any predictions on when pinks will start showing in that area?

2. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

O mykiss-
    Due to a forecasted run that is below the escapement goal for the Stillaguamish pinks Port Susan is closed to salmon fishing during August (piniks expected to show up in the area early to mid-August). That area will be open for coho in September but closed for chinook and pinks.

Skagit bay in the area of Deception Pass provides opportunity for the fly angler from the beach during all of August and early September. Most folks have had good luck on smallish (size 6s and 8s) pink flies (marabous, rabbit strips, closuer, etc) fished on a strip.

Tight lines
    Curt

3. o mykiss

o mykiss Active Member

Bummer. Hadn't gotten around to checking the regs yet. Guess I will need to head somewhere else when I'm there. Thanks for advice on flies and techniques.

4. steve

steve New Member

I also used hot pink, white, and orange wooley buggers size 6 hooks. I tie a slightly larger head with bright orange floss and then epoxy some yellow or red eyes on also. This is a quick and easy fly to tie, since as you probably know, you tend to go through flies quickly in the salt.

5. Denny

Denny Active Member

Pink flies. And pink flies.

Did I mention pink flies?

Seriously, that's what you need. The euphausid recommendation was a good one.

6. ChrisW

ChrisW AKA Beadhead

I watched two guys nail em from a boat two years ago in Skagit Bay. They were using weighted pink comets, tied fairly bushy. They were using 3 weight rods and floating lines and must have released 20 fish each after decent fights on those three wts. They came over and showed me what they were using and even gave me another pink (+ white) fly they thought would work.

I had red flys, red and white flies and their pink and white fly as well as the usual assortment of baitfish patterns and I could not get them to bite. I had a spinning rod onboard so I finally tried (sshhhh....a pink buzz bomb) and caught and released an 8-10lbr that was already getting the hump and hooked jaw. ANother fish came along and broke the leader and there went my pink buzz bomb. Back to flies and nothing more. All this in the middle of the day in the sunshine.

I WILL be back this year and I WILL have pink comets with me.:cool:

CW