Tandem flys on the swing?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by TallFlyGuy, May 15, 2007.

1. TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Vancouver, WA.
    Ratings: +39 / 0
    I have never tried it yet, but after it was pointed out to me, I started to wonder......

Lots of steelhead I believe follow the fly in to the shore without "biting". So if you put on a reall small fly in back of a much larger fly, say 24-36 inches, does it act like a real long stinger hook? And if that is the case is it a Fair Chase method to use?

Anyone have experience with this?

Justin
  2. Panhandle Active Member

Selkirk Mountains, Idaho Panhandle
    Ratings: +23 / 0
    Sounds good to me.... say a little BH soft hackle:beer2:
  3. Kevin Giusti New Member

Fort Bragg,Ca
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Hey Justin. While I have never tried this method I have seen it done on videos. I believe Lani Waller shows a two fly system in his older 3m videos (now available on DVD) and John Hazel has a section in his DVD spey fishing for steelhead in which he shows how he rigs a two fly setup for swinging also. As far as fair chase Hey whatever it takes I guess. Looks like a cool setup to me Im sure I will try it one of these days but for now I have a hard enough time controlling one fly!! Check out those vids if you havent already. Kevin
  4. dominic7471 Member

i might have to try it and get back to you!
  5. speyfisher Active Member

State of Jefferson U.S.A.
    Ratings: +129 / 2
    iagree

Myself, I got tired of messing with tangled leaders. I figure one fly in the water more often is better than two flies that are not.

But go ahead & try it. Yeah, it works. But two flies will not swim the same as a single fly will. The trailing fly will not allow the lead fly to move freely. And if one fly or the other is heavier, is it really a fly? Or just a dressed up sinker?
  6. Mark Bové Chasin tail

Spokane
    Swing a size 8 prince, or soft hackle behind anything you like on the rhonde... it has help me beach a ton of fish.
  7. inland Active Member

Ratings: +45 / 0
    While it is entirely up to the individual...I find two flies in clear violation of my fair chase act. Columbia Basin steelhead east of Bonneville tend to like small stuff to begin with. Or at least like 'em just as much as bigger flies. The last 7 or 8 years my go-to wets are tied low water style on a 2-4-6 and at least 2 sizes smaller then the hook. Ultra sparse and thin. One turn of hackle with maybe a dozen barbs (one side stripped). I don't believe these flies work any better or worse, however it is nice to be swinging trout flies for steelhead.

William
  8. Davy Active Member

SIlverton, OR
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    First part deleted......but I have fished two swung flies for years. I would say 75% of the time I fish two flies, about 16" apart. I aint seen an injured fish, every fish I have landed is hooked IN the mouth. Not sayin the other crap couldn't happen, just hasn't to me , to the best of my knowledge, Last part deleted too.
  9. thewaker Tight line takes ain't no fakes!!

Bend, Oregon
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    TFG,

People fish two flys on the swing on the Deschutes regulary. Go to flyfishusa and look at their top gun series of flies. It can be highly effective. A small size traditional fly behind a skater can be productive on a lot of those looky loo fish that see the skater and fall back a bit, see the trailer and whamo! Check regulations to see if fishing two flys is legal on the water you intend to fish. I fish one fly and think it is probably as efficient as two if you swing it right.

I'm with the above posts that it's just one more thing to tangle and the actual swing of both flys can be influenced by the other.

My 2

Mark
  10. tweedside New Member

St.Boswells, scotland
    In Scotland and Ireland we very often use two flies on one leader; when fishing on a loch from a drifting boat it is the normal form of fishing. Usually the smaller fly is fished on the end and the other is fished on a 'dropper' of 3" to 5" attached to the main part of the leader, about 36" above the 'tail' fly. It is best fished with a set-up which throws nice even open loops. The fast tip actioned rod with a front loaded line is an absolute pain to use - for obvious reasons. We tend to use double taper lines for the most part.
    I also use this set up a lot when the water warms up on rivers with 13'-15ft spey rods. As long as you fish within a comfortable casting range without trying to shoot a lot of line you will have fewest problems. If wind causes extra trouble, go back to single fly.
  11. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Ratings: +106 / 0
    What you've described is very common on the upper Rogue; large heavy fly in front, a size 10-12 as a trailer about 2 feet back. From personal experience the 'trailer' will get most of the fish. As a side-bar it is 'legal' to use mono line/float/bait rod as long as there's no added weight (save for the fly(s)) below the float. Many of these fellows will actually use a three fly rig. I can assure you they hook more than I do!:confused:
    Fred
  12. Derek Day Rockyday

Olympia
    Ratings: +142 / 0
    how about two tubes, with the leader tied mooching rig style.
  13. Steelie Mike Active Member

Camas, WA
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    I can see it now. Two Q-Tips bunnies casted on a Skagit line. Awe the shear size of those flies will agitate those steelhead to take them with avengence. The horror, the horror!

Yeah it isn't pretty at times, but it works!
  14. Marty New Member

Heber, Utah
    The first year I fished the Deschutes John Hazel rigged my line with two flies. The point fly was a small hair wing summer fly and the 2nd fly was a bomber. The bomber was tied in between two blood knots and slid. He called it a slider. I fish two flies like this a lot for summer fish. It is fun to see the fly waking and it keeps the wet fly just below the surface so you can see all of the takes. I see no advantage as far as fare chase, it is a hard system to cast and I have only had one fish take the slider in the 15+ years I have fished it. The reason I like it, it keeps me in touch with my flies and it is visual. As far as fishing two flies on a tip, waist of time.
  15. metalhead New Member

SOLDOTNA, ALASKA, US.
    i have fished 2 flys quite a bit but have a large leech as the point fly about 24 inches behind an egg fly. the takes on the leech are intense.
  16. Hal Eckert Member

West GLs
    Keeping with tradition one fly only on the swing.

The very rare instances I do Indie fishing on water not suited to the traditional swing I may use a second two fly set up. Very rare though.

Lets just say I fly solo.

:beer2: :cool:

BG
  17. speyfisher Active Member

State of Jefferson U.S.A.
    Ratings: +129 / 2
    Flying solo

Cool. I like that. :beer2:
  18. jcalderon Member

A JUNGLE NEAR YOU
    it is only ethical if you are nymphing two eggs, under an indicator, with shrip oil.
  19. metalhead New Member

SOLDOTNA, ALASKA, US.
    ETHICAL OR EATABLE? I LIKE MY SHRIMP SAUTEED IN BUTTER!:cool:
  20. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    Ratings: +111 / 0
    I think it actually spooks fish