Tandem flys on the swing?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by TallFlyGuy, May 15, 2007.

1. Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Peck, ID
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    Kevin, Using your above statement would a half sized "Dupont spinner" be OK? I would fish it with my two hander of course, so I would be "spey fishing".:eek:

I see several people on the Clearwater trying to the two fly method lately. I will stick with my little hairwing and my 15' rod. That being said, fishing should be about pleasure. If a method is legal and you like it, it should be no one else's business how you fish. Do what you like and let the rest be damned.:cool:
  2. Hal Eckert Member

West GLs
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Actually I am getting too lazy to tie two flys on anymore plus take the risk of increased snags, fly reties, and more time lost fishing. The more time your fly is in the water, your chances of a grab are increased, its that simple.
  3. HauntedByWaters Active Member

Bellingham
    Ratings: +104 / 0
    I hook two steelhead or three steelhead at the same time on these setups.

It happens to me regularly.

Seriously...the hatchery ponds NEVER let me down. :D

Seriously though. I think all these setups are a major hastle and I don't like how I have to change my casting stroke to accomidate a bigger loop. I hook so few steelhead that it don't matter to me much.
  4. Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Quesnel, BC
    Ratings: +319 / 0
    If you arent a very solid caster who has a great feel for when the rod loads or just good timing you will spend a lot of time untangling.

I have sure unhooked a lot of fish from rigs like this though. I almost always fish a diminutive buggy fly on the back behind a standard fly for whatever I am going after where it is legal.
  5. speyfisher Active Member

State of Jefferson U.S.A.
    Ratings: +136 / 3
    O.K. I could go for a bead slipped onto the leader above a blood knot. Followed by the a string leech. Especially an egg sucking leech.
  6. BigSkyDave New Member

Bozeman, MT
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    About 30 years ago there was a book out called Exciter Fishing. The author proposed using two flies for steelhead about 24 inches apart. The idea was the first fly would pass along the fish's lateral line "exciting" it, and when it turned to strike there would be the second fly waiting to be inhaled.
    I tried this back then on the Root River just south of Milwaukee, not exactly a classic steelhead river by any stretch. But if you fell in they didn't rush you to the emergency room for 24 hour observation as was SOP if you fell in the Milwaukee River - I digress. Anyway as the only fly fisher among the egg soakers the technique worked for me twice, accounting for the only steelhead caught by anyone those days. Oh the glee!
    As I recall the point fly was something large to get that lateral line a flutter and the second fly some hot pink and green chenille flasher. It worked on those 5-6 pound Lake Michigan steelies.
  7. Robert Engleheart Robert

Lemoore, CA
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    There's a few spots I fish in a "high stick" type nymph style with this set-up and then mend to lift and swing through the downstream holding water. I feel it does two things well:
    Covers more water without my having to move as much; often this is where I'm in fast, waist deep water.
    Disturbs fish less than picking up, water loading and recasting.
    Often I'll get a pull as the rig is lifting in the transition from nyphing to swinging or on the hang, where it's usualy a tentative "tap-tap". 75% of the takes are on the trailing fly.