Tax Day 20 and Under Swap

Discussion in 'Fly Swaps' started by Ron Eagle Elk, Mar 9, 2007.

1. Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Mount Vernon, WA
    Ratings: +105 / 0
    Just got my hooks today Ron, can you send me your magnifier?
  2. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +110 / 0
    Sorry, Daryle, it's in use right now. I'm tying some 4/0 salmon flies. When I get to the 20's I use the magnifyer and a set of mag-eyes together, plus the bi-focals. I think I'm getting old.

REE
  3. Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Mount Vernon, WA
    My size 20 minute blood worms are done, I'm going to do a soft hackle next. I can post a pic or do you want to do that?

Daryle
  4. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Daryle, Appreciate the offer, but I'll shoot the pics for the swap.

REE
  5. Warren Perry Grizzly 6

Bow, New Hampshire, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Ron,

Flies are done and in the mail. Please let me know when they arrive.

Tight Lines

Warren
  6. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Warren, Will do, looking forward to your flies. Always a treat. Bet you even have your taxes filed.

REE
  7. Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Mount Vernon, WA
    Going to start my bonus fly tomorrow, what color would you prefer on your soft hackle guys? I'm thinking partridge and orange.

Daryle
  8. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Daryle, as for me, my favorites are partridge and orange or green. either work very well. Eagerly awaiting to see what your using for hackle on those.

REE
  9. Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Mount Vernon, WA
    I got the 3x long hooks and I'm going to tackle the hackle issue. LOL

Daryle
  10. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Daryle,

I've used Partridge aftershaft feathers as hackle on softies down to size 18. Never went to 20 though.

REE
  11. Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Mount Vernon, WA
    Couldn't make it work Ron, so I finished up today with something else. They're toe tagged and probably in the mail tomorrow. They're not pretty but might catch a fish. Keep any extras for your trouble.

Daryle
  12. seanengman Trout have no politics

davenport, wa
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    I'll get mine off tomorrow. Maybe today if I am really ambitious.
  13. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Looks like Warren Perry gets the Early Bird Award. His fine looking flies arrived today. At least the box did. Had to get a magnet to be sure there were flies in there. Man they are little. Great job, Warren.

Looking forwrd to seeing(?) the rest of these flies.

REE
  14. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Daryle, your in at number two. Your flies arrived today, safe and sound. Nice looking flies, my friend.
  15. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    seanengman,

Your toe tags arrived today. There's something shiny on one end, are those the flies? Just kidding, nice pattern and well tied.

REE
  16. Ned Wright New Member

Tenino, WA
    Half done with these damn little f******! Also tied some size 26 for the swapmiester, just to see if I could. Wheew...or crap, where did they go!

All I could think while I was doing them was in the tune of Jeff Foxworthy:
    "You may be a redneck if,,," example: "You know the flies you are tying are too small if,,, the single strand of peacock herl makes the body look to thick, ." or "You know the flies you are tying are too small if,,,, you are counting tread wraps."

Ned
  17. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Ned, what? You mean to say you don't count thread wraps on all your flies? Shame! Dang, it's a good thing VEE is 11 years younger than me. She can tie those size 26's on my tippet for me. Lessee, that means I gotta catch a 26 inch fish on those 26's to be in the 26/26 club. I'm in the 20/20 and 22/22 clubs. may take some work to make that new one.

Looking forwrad to seeing your flies, Ned.

REE
  18. Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Mount Vernon, WA
    I want to know how many times you broke thread and started all over again. Me about eight times.

Daryle
  19. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Daryle, using up my supply of Gudebrod 10/0 results in zero thread breaks. Good strength for it's size and lays flat. Too bad it's not being made anymore.

REE
  20. Ned Wright New Member

Tenino, WA
    I broke plenty of thread. Once I broke just as I was getting ready to whip finish. I swear it took me ten minutes of proding with a needle just to get the thing unwrapped and back to a place where I could get new thread in. The damn little thing was practically finished and tight enough I could have just trimmed and it probably would have been fishable.

Ron: 26/26!!! Crap... I am still trying to join the 14/14 club...

Ned