Teaching the girlfriend how to fly fish...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by DarianClemensBWO, Jun 18, 2014.

1. DarianClemensBWO

DarianClemensBWO New Member

Hey everybody, I'm taking the girlfriend out fly fishing this weekend and was hoping you guys might have some recommendations on some rivers or streams. It has been years since I have been in the "learning curve" of fly-fishing, so I don't really remember what makes the river enjoyable as a newbie. Any help is much appreciated .

-thanks

2. enlightened

enlightened Active Member

Media:
    Patience and time. And a creek with even small fish so she can feel a bite. Good luck;)

Freestone likes this.
  3. Eric Denny

Eric Denny Summer is over but I'm still fishing!!

Where are you? Don't get mad when she snaps your favorit fly off!! Or when you spend more time teaching then u do fishing. Make it enjoyable maybe a picnic with it, point out the beautie, how calming it is.

enlightened likes this.
  4. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    Speaking from ALOT of experience, you're screwed from the get go. Now you have to buy double of everything, unless she randomly likes something better, then you have to get that...
    On top of everything else, somehow they will outfish you. Every time! It's like paying back for a lifetime of fly fishing karma...
    Constantly saving them from drowning(completely depending on life insurance policies)...
    Having your best tied flies jacked in the dead of night while you're sleeping....
    Always looking over your shoulder while at your "secret" spot thinking: she might not have bought the "I'm going to the bar with the boys" routine...
    You are walking a slippery slope indeed, my friend. Tread very carefully.

5. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

and that's the gospel truth ! Them girls will fish the weirdest stuff and still beat your ass!

enlightened and Olive bugger like this.
  6. just get her on a spey rod, i swear 95% of women who have no clue what there doing can snap t, and skagit cast better than most dudes on this forum.

As mentioned small creeks or something fishy. I steelhead 90% of the time and often times people will want to go with me, in the few times i have allowed newbs to go steelheading they never have fun and it ends up urinating on my day.

What area are you in? The snoqualmie forks can be a good option

John Hicks likes this.
  7. LD

LD Active Member

Media:
    Find a club or fly shop that teaches beginner (especially a woman's class) classes and sign her up. If you take her out, do not plan on it being a fishing day. Just wet a few flies and have lunch and see how it goes.

8. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

Just my two cents, but why not take her to a lake where she can learn to cast without the concerns of a moving river. May not be as exciting to you, but women think differently than dudes, and usually are better fishers.

9. Jim Paget

Jim Paget Active Member

I second the suggestion about the lake. The last thing either of you want to deal with is constantly snagging on the back cast.

10. chief

chief Active Member

In my circle we have an unspoken rule about teaching girlfriends, wives, etc. to fish. Have a buddy do it, or pay for lessons. Teaching them yourself is a sure way to make them hate you and the sport......

11. psycho

psycho Active Member

Best thing that you can do is pay for a few lessons for her, if you can find a woman who gives lessons that is even better. My wife spent a day with Kathy Ruddick out of Kamloops, she learned more from Kathy in that time than in the thirty years with me.:D

enlightened likes this.
  12. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    The best thing you should do is just get her a Barbie spinning rod and let her do it.

13. KB2

KB2 Active Member

Send me a picture of your girlfriend, and I will send you a price quote for private lessons.;)

bigdood and Sawyer like this.
  14. plaegreid

plaegreid Saved by the buoyancy of citrus

Media:
  15. Kaari White

Kaari White Active Member

Media:

You won't find better advice than this. Flash backs of the time my dear husband tried to teach me to row come to mind... Never again. ;)

Greg Armstrong and plaegreid like this.
  16. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

Truer words were never spoken.
    Don't ask how I know.

bennysbuddy likes this.
  17. enlightened

enlightened Active Member

Media:
    A lot of advice has been offered. BUT....about 4 years ago I was a bait fishermen. Then one day tri saw me. It was the coldest day of winter. It was New Years morning.Tri took me out fishing a week later...handed me a fly fishing rod and said go. Rocky ford...I did catch 3 due to the 7 weight rod in 35 mile an hour wind. Tri showed me nothing I understood but I kept at it. One day a week. Then six months later we were at Jesse's fly shop in Spokane. He showed me casting in 5 minutes and to this day I hear Jesse's voice in my head while casting. Long story short? If Tri wouldn't have taken me fly fishing we would have never dated. Patience and time...he never complained....even when I dropped his rod in Rufus and asked, "do fly rods float?" ;) nope they don't! But he showed laughter and compassion in such a way that the forever learning of fly fishing became an art and a place to heal or laugh:) take her fly fishing! Just remember, its just a day....keep it a happy one!

18. Fotdesign

Fotdesign New Member

This past spring my wife, son and I signed up for the free Orvis 101 class. http://m.orvis.com/intro.aspx?subject=8249. It was all on land, but they had fun and I learned some better techniques. The follow-up is a paid 102 class on the water. No stress, they're equipment and you keep your relationship happy. I think that they're done for the season, but worth checking. Your local fly shop should also teach intro courses. Good luck.

Skysoldier likes this.
  19. ryfly

ryfly Addicted to flyfishing

Get someone else to do it. If you do it you will be fucked...and not in a good way.

20. later_Peter

later_Peter Active Member

I've taught classes. I've taught husband & wife couples. Women pick up casting faster (subtle not power). I ended up teaching my own current wife. She gets it... then she doesn't get it... then she's fishing dry flies dragging them through the current... then she doesn't want to hear why that's wrong... then she catches fish... then she catches more fish... it's not always pleasant for me.