Teal, Round II

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Ron McNeal, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Ron McNeal

Ron McNeal Life's good!

Media:
    Back to Teal Wednesday w/ DFL and his new Force Fins (he likes 'em). Much nicer day weather-wize and fish-wize. Fished from about 12:45 to 4:30, just getting off when the rain started to get serious.

Water temp was up six degrees in eight days to a much-more-comfortable 46+ degrees. A couple of other guys were on the water with us. Some midges (16-44's), but not a lot, were coming off. Larry got into a nice fish right off the bat: 22" bow on a Callibaetis dry in the SW corner, then caught two more later on.

It took me about an hour and a half fiddling around with blood worms, soft hackles and midge emergers before I caught a really nice bow at the extreme NE corner. There were a number of fish swirling around and rising, working the shallows here, so I eased my way in among 'em (no one else had discovered this activity yet) and cast to a rise: sat, sat, sat and then twitched a bit and, BINGO!! fish on!! Pretty good fight, some nice reel singing. Took a #14 Partridge & Purple.

It's sure fun when this is the result:

ron1a.jpg

ron2a.jpg

This guy was harder than hell to hold on to (see 1st photo) & spilled over each side of my stripping apron, so I'm guessing about 25-27". A nice, beautiful slab of a rainbow. It was the only fish I caught. I'm not complaining......

This is Larry's last fish:

larry1a.jpg
    We were at opposite ends of the lake when he caught that 1st fish on the Callibaetis, and he said he got a "selfie", so he'll have to post that shot.

2. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

Media:
    Nice going guys!

3. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Very nice!

4. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    It was a good break from searching for sea-run cutthroat that has been slow for me this winter. Of course, I can't wait to head east for some stream fishing, so for now, some lake fishing suits me. I know you may all laugh at putting on a callibaetis this time of year. Pretty crazy, but, it worked for two fish. I had to laugh too. The last fish, I used a small emerger of sorts in size 18. And also had another fish break me off on the take. It was a fun afternoon with a few tugs and, to see Ron's monster rainbow was a kick. I'll take some hatchery brats for now!

triploidjunkie likes this.
  5. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

In that first picture...did you put that fish in your pocket to eat for dinner?

6. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Media:
    Way to go guy's, nice to see some action at Teal, and some real beauties too. Oh, what a difference a few degrees makes..... Ron, that's a PIG !!!! Love those soft hackles !!! Been wanting to get up there myself, soon as this weather clears a bit....

7. McNasty

McNasty Canyon Lurker

Media:
    great job guys!

8. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    I made him take it out of his pocket and release it Steve. No problem. :)

triploidjunkie and Steve Kokita like this.
  9. Eyejuggler

Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Media:
    Home Page:
    Awesome pics and fun report, thank you! I need to get off my Salt fixation and hit a lake...googling Teal now :)

10. Steve Knapp

Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Media:
    Dammit Larry! I told you to stay out of those damn stillwaters!! Looks like you guys had a great time, I guess I'll have to join you at some point, instead of missing all those nice fish.

11. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Nice work gents. Ron, do you rub all your fish all over your chest? You picked a nice looking day and time window!

12. Ron McNeal

Ron McNeal Life's good!

Media:
    Ed, one of my fly fishing heroes, IveofIone, told me I needed to do that if I ever wanted to be considered a knowledgeable fly fisher , with at least some mojo on his fishing kit....

triploidjunkie and Ed Call like this.
  13. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    We'll, if Ive and Ron are doing it. I should do it as well. Now...to actually find and catch an unsuspecting specimen...

14. funfisher

funfisher Fish On!

If you guys enjoy fishing Teal, you might think about sending a little support to the Port Ludlow Fly Fishers who pay to have some of those big boys put into the lake and also contribute time and energy to clear brush and pick up poacher garbage around the shore so that you have a nice place to fish.

Ed Call and Saltman like this.
  15. Couleeflyfisher

Couleeflyfisher Member

Great pics, I am just in process of relocating to Port Ludlow from the Dry Side, I'm really looking forward to fish Teal and any other nearby lakes plus the Salt. I haven't been to a meeting yet of the Port Ludlow club since I've been housebound with a hip replacement for a couple of weeks. Tough to leave the Col. Basin, Dry Falls, etc. but I think we have some good prospects.

16. Ron McNeal

Ron McNeal Life's good!

Media:
    Since your post was directed at us (me), rather than the general forum, I feel compelled to say that, for the record, I do enjoy fishing Teal and, because I do, I gave the Port Ludlow Fly Fishers a very nice contribution (at least I thought it was a nice contribution) two years ago (you can check with their treasurer if you're concerned and inclined) and I helped, quite a bit actually, with the construction of the Teal Lake access site when it was originally built. I worked long and hard with Archie & Earl and a bunch of the other Club members at that time. I don't remember you being a member then. But, please, for my sake and your peace of mind, do check with your treasurer. I don't much like inferences that I might be a dead-beat.........

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

17. funfisher

funfisher Fish On!

The term "you guys" was intended for anyone and everyone who enjoys fishing Teal Lake. PLFF is a very small club and can use any help we can get. Chill out man. You are being waaayy too sensitive. Tight lines!

18. mat1226

mat1226 Active Member

Well, that was fun. Hope you guys are all good. I'm sure no one really meant to upset anyone.

So is it safe to assume that Teal Lake is officially off of the "secret" westside list? Last year when Nick posted a pic of one of those hogs I didn't reply because that is the kind of thread you want to see disappear. Just sayin, not officially following my policy, yeah I know that, thanks.

19. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    Hmmm... am I the Nick youre rererring to?

Cause its been a couple years since ive posted a pic of one of these fish and I never named the lake. I generally never do

20. mat1226

mat1226 Active Member

You are correct Nick, I was recalling something different. Thanks for the correction.