Teanaway Runnin' Brown

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by teedub, Mar 13, 2013.

1. teedub Active Member

Cle Elum
    Ratings: +98 / 0
    The temps stayed above freezing last night here - I would guess it was around forty-three most of the night. The run-off continued to increase throughout the night and by the mid-afternoon, the river was up about a foot and plenty brown!

Above the Teanaway confluence it is still clear - below not so much. It is warmer still downstream so the Swauk will be muddy for the next few days too.
  2. Greg Smith Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +21 / 0
    I drove up to Green Bridge (above Thorp) about 3:30 this afternoon. There was about two and one half feet of visibility.
    The Yakima at Cle Elum looks like its leveling off, but the Teanaway is still climbing some.
    The water temps. are still good, so we'll floating the Canyon tomorrow.

Greg
  3. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +684 / 1
    The Yak around Ellensburg is showing some color, but still fishable as of this afternoon. I've caught fish when it's darker than it is now.
  4. riseform Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +269 / 0
    I've been watching that today as well. Flows have gone up about 1100cfs (now running 1800 cfs) through Cle Elum. I need a raft to cross the river at those flows.
  5. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +684 / 1
    All those little shallow side channels will soon become fish havens.
  6. riseform Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +269 / 0
    True. Probably a good time to throw a sculpin, crane fly larva (if your entomology post was a current picture) or cased caddis, eh?
  7. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +857 / 0
    The Wenatchee's up about 5-6 inches so far, but still pretty clear.
  8. Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Doo-vall
    Ratings: +412 / 0
    I was planning to hit the lower Yakima canyon tomorrow but the graphs don't look good. I don't mind fishing high and dirty water as long as its not on the rise. Someone please just tell me what the rivers going to do tomorrow so I can make a sound call tonight...
  9. Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Snoqualmie, WA
    Ratings: +831 / 0
    Seek out water that isn't affected by the Teanaway. :)
    Itchy Dog likes this.
  10. teedub Active Member

Cle Elum
    Ratings: +98 / 0
    It is still 47 and we are above Cle Elum on Lookout Mtn. I would fish the upper river above the Teanaway as the water has been warming and the bugs have been more active over the last few days. It will save you an hour drive each way - so more time for fishing too!
    Itchy Dog likes this.