Teaser for Basin lakes opener

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by chief, Feb 26, 2014.

1. chief Active Member

Portland, OR
    Ratings: +123 / 1
  2. Patrick Allen Active Member

Bothell,WA
    Ratings: +174 / 0
  3. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,659 / 0
    Staring at a bobber on a lake is like watching grass grow or cement drying.
    rory likes this.
  4. rory Go Outside

Maple Leaf, WA
    Ratings: +187 / 0
    Where's the teaser part?
  5. Rob Ast Active Member

West Pugetopolis WA
    Ratings: +233 / 3
    Should of set the hook at the first wiggle.
  6. lastcall Member

Bellingham, Wa, USA.
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    Cement (Concrete) does not dry!! It hardens. But I know what you mean. I don't have the patience to watch an indicator either.

Ed
  7. lastcall Member

Bellingham, Wa, USA.
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    Double post. Sorry

Ed
  8. troutpocket Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +326 / 0
    I've watched that video four times. Looking forward to some quality bobber time of my own pretty soon . . .
  9. Bob Rankin Active Member

Yakima, WA
    Ratings: +167 / 1
    Did you land it?
  10. chief Active Member

Portland, OR
    I was filming, but my buddy did land it. A nice rainbow if I recall.
  11. Drifter Active Member

Ratings: +638 / 2
    Must of been drinking (slows reaction time while driving a bobber)
  12. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,139 / 4

Staring at this bobber resulted in a fish. Staring at my driveway hasnt produced a damn thing ever.
    Mark Kraniger and Irafly like this.
  13. Nick Clayton Active Member

I watched this on my phone at the pharmacy. I must have been quite a sight standing in Rite Aid setting the hook on my phone over and over.
    tkww, Mike Ediger and Irafly like this.
  14. chief Active Member

Portland, OR
    Patience is a virtue.........
  15. Nick Clayton Active Member

Really, in vertical presentation fishing, I find patience to not be a virtue at all.
    Kaiserman and Irafly like this.
  16. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,052 / 1
    It is called a strike indicator and not a bobber for a reason. If it is bobbing, you are doing it wrong. I loved the video though, and have a couple of my own just like it.

As for having the patients to watch an indicator... again you must be doing it wrong, I don't have the patience to not watch an indicator.
    Tyler Sadowski and Nick Clayton like this.
  17. chief Active Member

Portland, OR
    Please explain.
  18. chief Active Member

Portland, OR
    Please explain further.
  19. Nick Clayton Active Member

Well mostly I was referring to patience not being a good thing when an indicator twitches. Rob is correct that a hook set should have instantly followed that first twitch. In this case it worked out but being able to notice and react quickly to, those subtle takes will often be a big difference maker.

But really overall, successful vertical presentation is about anything but patience. I used to anchor in the same place for hours, dutifully soaking the same chironomids a foot off the bottom, and while I caught some fish, it really wasnt until I started fishing with Ira that I started to learn the errors of my ways. Now I am not patient at all. If nothing happens in ten minutes then its time to change something.... depth, location, retrieve, and lastly.... fly.

These days I am a big believer in being active, being observant, and NOT giving in to patience and just sticking with what I know will eventually work. Many times when I first fished with Ira I would not understand his desire to change location when we were doing well by my standards, but I soon figured out that his lack of patience was resulting in my days being way more successful in terms of numbers. And thats just great by me.

though to be fair plenty of people are just as content to patiently troll buggers all day, enjoy the scenery, and catch a small handful of fish. To each their own.
    Irafly likes this.
  20. chief Active Member

Portland, OR
    Thanks for the clarification. I agree with what you say about changing up your game on the water frequently until you dial it in. But there is a fine line between setting too early and waiting for the fish to be committed. It is pretty obvious from the commentary that the subtle movement of the indicator was being noticed. Maybe he could have set a fraction earlier, maybe he waited for just the perfect moment, I guess you had to be there.......