Teaser for Basin lakes opener

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by chief, Feb 26, 2014.

1. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

After watching fish inhale and exhale my flies without ever seeing my indicator twitch, I'm in the "set at the slightest provocation" camp. If your indicator reacts at all, they've committed.

2. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

Just think, in 5 to 10 yrs from now... they'll have an indicator with an app on your Smart phone.

It'll alert you when a fish is with in (you set the parameters) feet/inches - and set out an alarm (or vibrate) when the fish makes contact.

Irafly likes this.
  3. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Any twitch, change is motion / movement, set! What's the worst that can happen, a recast?

Irafly likes this.
  4. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Or maybe the first twitch was the 9 lb hog that moved on after the initial take and the subsequent takes were the lesser fish ;)

I certainly dont mean to cast judgement. I for one truly enjoyed the video...certainly not like watching paint dry!

Irafly likes this.
  5. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Not at all, more like watching grass growing or cement drying! :D
    Nice vid chief.

I hope you guys knock them out this weekend Nick. Make sure to wear your woolies and I look forward to your report.
    SF

6. chief

chief Active Member

Or maybe that 9lb hog pushed by the fly and the current from his tail made the indicator twitch and setting would have scared him off before he circled back and ate... Sorry if I came off as being touchy. That is not how it was meant. I just know that there a lot of variables when indicator fishing, and it is not always prudent to set at the slightest movement. Fish have all day to inspect a fly under an indicator. I have watched fish circle a fly several times before deciding to take it. The current they generate as they pass by the fly is enough to make the indicator twitch. Same with refusals. If you set recklessly under those circumstances you will spook the fish and/or pull the fly out of the zone, when you might have a chance to catch them when they circle around and commit. I agree that detecting subtle movements is important, it's the Spidey sense thing of deciding what is causing the movement and reacting appropriately that makes the difference. Thanks for the input. If I'm not careful I might learn something from this discussion......

7. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Thanks Brian, unfortunately the weather has already gotten the best of us. Made the call last night that the trip up over the pass and back in this nasty weather just wasnt worth the risk. I think were all gonna fish Pass instead

8. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Likely a good call Nick.
    I may see you at Pass if I don't go chase searuns this weekend.