Techniques with Euphausiids??

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Tom Grobelny, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Tom Grobelny Member

Snohomish, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    From an earlier tread it seems that the SRC’s are eating a lot of Euphausiids. I copied a pattern that I found on the site and made up some of these little shrimp and even took them for a test swim for about an hour on Monday.

I had no strikes or did I see any activity, but it was a nice day and enjoyed a bit of casting practice with my son.

My question is how should I fish these Euphausiid patterns? Mine were lightly weighted so that they sink slowly. Should I make them heaver or use a sinking line to get them to the bottom? Should I let them drift with little motion to the bottom, then strip a few times and repeat? Should I strip wildly?

My technique on Monday was to strip 3 or 4 short strips and rest for a few (5 to 7) seconds and repeat. Or often, let it drift while I watch my son throw tailing loops or ask if he need help untangling his leader. To be fair, I managed to knot up my leader a bit also, just so he would not feel so bad ;) . He actually did pretty well considering that he has not been out very much and he showed considerable patience with untangling his leader.

Tom G
  2. Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator

Somewhere you don't know about, WA
    Ratings: +52 / 1
    Look for fish that are being active. Jumping, Splashing, boils. Generally these fish are actively feeding. That is where you want to concentrate on Euphasid patterns. If I dont see fish then I use attractor patterns to locate fish. There is a lot of water and a tiny fly like that is kind of like finding a needle in a hay stack with a SRC or Coho.
    When I fish these patterns, I use a dry line with a long leader or a clear intermidiate line. I let the fly just drift and swing in the current. Just barely keeping tension on the line, to feel a strike. I let it swing all the way to the end of the swing. Then I let it sit and then pick it up and cast out again.
    Hope this helps
    Chris
  3. Tom Grobelny Member

Snohomish, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Thanks for the tips. I am new to SRC fishing (and fly fishing in general). Since the Sound is so close to me, I am planning to spend more time on the beach. I have already managed to catch one SRC on one of my daughter’s reject “Chum Babies” that she tied for the Beginner/Intermediate Marathon swap. It was a kick, especially since the only other fish that I have managed to catch have been a few troutettes (~6”) in the Snoqualmie forks.

When I was trying the euphausiid on Monday, I was stripping it pretty actively. I guess I have to learn some patience and to mix things up a bit.

Tom G
  4. Les Johnson Les Johnson

.Redmond, WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    Euphausiids and other krill are pretty weak swimmers. They can move in reverse (escape mode) rapidly for a short distance but primarily they are at the mercy of tide and wind -- and cutthroat and coho.
    Good Fishing,
    Les