Temple dog intruders

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Pat Lat, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Playing with some more steelhead flies. These are a mixture of temple dog, amherst tail fibers, peacock herl and lite bright, tied on senyo shanks. I usually like to tie more imitative rather than attractor style flies, but I guess since steelhead is a whole different game than trout or beach fishing, I guess i can throw together some half chickens (or dogs in this case) for the cause. comments and critique welcome. IMAG0053.jpg IMAG0050.jpg

Robbert, Mark Mercer, ScottP and 3 others like this.
  2. My comment -- "Mail me that blue one."

3. Ha, I'll hand deliver them if you help me put them in front of some steel.

4. Sounds like a deal!

Seriously, those are nice looking bugs. And I do plan to make it to your side of the state (OP) a couple of times this year. Of course I'm planning to fish places I have not fished before....so it might not be a good trade :)

6. Yeah they are hollow i guess you could say, intruders are basically two bunches of material tied to a shank, the middle of the shank is diamond braid. They actually look a lot more sparse when you hold them up to the light, but I think the camera picks up all the flash and makes them look solid.
    Heres a better pick of one of my favorite color combos. I call it "the roses" in the hopes that a fish might take the time to stop and smell it. IMG_8725.JPG

Robbert and McNasty like this.
  7. Nice flies! I have the Chris Mann Book and really have started to admire the Euro and Eastern Canandian style of salmon flies. This past year I started to fish the Temple Dog style for West Coast Steel.

8. 'The Rose' will catch fish Pat!

Here one I tied yesterday not for steelhead but just for trout.
    IMAG08581.jpg

9. Nice job, Pat. You got talent.

10. Well Robbert, your picture of a royal coachman in a thread about intruders was apparently the random, non-linear thought process I needed to create this...
    The royalcoachtruder. I think I see a new type of monthly salon in the future. Something like, pick two flies and see who can tie the best amalgamation.
    Thanks.
    IMG_8733.JPG

11. "random, non-linear thought process"

good name for a fly

Robbert likes this.

12. Yes indeed it was... when trout meets steelhead.
    Nice Royal Truder

Keep tying them up and think always out of the box... lol

Pat Lat likes this.