Temple Fork Outfitter ("TFO") rods - wow!

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Denny, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    This past weekend, while attending the grand opening of the new All About the Fly shop in Monroe, I had the opportunity to cast many (say, over 10!) TFO rods.

I already own a few TFO rods (a 5 and 10 wt. TiCr, a 7 weight Professional, and a 5 weight Signature), and I am continually astounded at the bang-for-the buck. I also own Sage, Scott, Loomis, Redington, St. Croix, and Orvis rods, and in my opinion these TFO rods perform as well or better than many of the other more well-known names.

I cast the new blue TiCr rod - wow! I own an XP and a GLX, and if I already didn't, I'd be buying that TiCr. It's less than 1/2 the cost of the other two! I have a standard 10 weight TiCr that is a great rod for Cabo (it has a butt bigger and stouter than my grandma's, which came in useful when I was cranking up skipjack tuna in Cabo last fall!).

The Professional series, to me, is the sleeper. It's action kind of reminds me of my Sage RPL; not too fast, but still plenty fast enough for most folks, and it will zing a line. Again, it's 1/2 of the other comparable rods! I used my 7 weight out at Sekiu last year on saltwater coho, and it was a blast. Shoot, a quality, great casting, 4 piece (I think they are all 4 piece) rod made with quality components and sporting an unconditional lifetime warranty!?! I think these guys are serious about getting customers.

And, that Signature series, for under $100! You have to be kidding me - what a great rod! For all of you guys who don't have to have a travel rod (the Signature only comes in 2 piece rods, I think), this rod is an incredible buy. My Sage and Loomis buddies will get on me about this, but I'd buy one of the TFO Signature rods before I bought a DS2, GL3, etc. And the Signature is much better casting instrument than the Sage LE. I own the 5 weight, 8'6" model (I actually prefer rods less than 9' in lighter line weights because of their balance and their crispness, but I digress . . .), and it's a beautiful all-around trout rod.

Anyway, as many of the folks who read this forum have children who they need to outfit soon, or are on a budget and would love to have a high performance rod but can't justify the prices, I thought I'd share this with you.

I know I'm going to buy more TFO sticks. I'm a beginning spey fisherman, and I think I'll be getting one. If for some reason I don't get too fired up about spey fishing or don't use the rod much, at $299 retail, I won't feel so badly about not using it. It makes it a lot easier to convince my wife that I need to purchase it, too. :)

Soory about the diatribe. I'm a frugal guy, and I just get way fired up about great products at great prices!

2. Steelie L

Steelie L Member

Temple Fork Outfitter (

Thanks for the rod report, Richard. Question for you -- In the next few months I'll be in the market for a top-quality fast-action 8wt for bonefishing and other saltwater applications. Is there a TFO rod that you'd recommend? The TiCr?

3. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Media:
    Temple Fork Outfitter (

The TFO's are certainly a good value and if you're on a limited budget they are definitely the way to go. I own a couple TFO's and they perform really well for the price. In fact, I used a 9wt TiCr in Costa Rica last week.

If you're really looking for a "top-quality fast-action" I would suggest looking at the Thomas & Thomas Horizon. I love that rod! It's a cannon and will cast circles around the TFO's, but that kind of performance does come at a price.

4. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    Temple Fork Outfitter (

You're exactly right about the T&T Horizon. I've got a 5wt two-piecer (which Richard has been coveting for several years now!) It's always been one of my favorites, not only for it's wonderful action, but for its overall beauty. The navy and emerald color scheme is truly elegant and grip is the handsomest I've ever seen this side of the cigar or torpedo grips on one-off bamboo rods costing three times as much or more.

But sadly T&T rods are nearly impossible to find at shops here in the Northwest. Several people have mentioned that they'd love to carry their rods but that T&T's warranty repair service has become too slow for the shops to offer the same turnaround speed on fixes that Sage and others commonly provide.

I had the tip section on mine replaced several years ago. T&T didn't simply replace it with another one from their inventory - they rebuilt it from scratch, blank and all, based on the specs from the serial number of the original. I understand that quality like that obviously takes time, in my case about 6 or 7 weeks.

But still i'ts too bad that a long-time maker like T&T has begun to receed in the marketplace because their customer service has been eclipsed by makers of rods costing a quarter of the price.

5. Chris Stokesbary

Chris Stokesbary Member

Media:
    Temple Fork Outfitter (

You're killing me here.

I just got a TFO Prof. 4 weight, delivered this morning, sitting next to me in its sock.

Like my jones to bolt the office wasn't bad enough before reading this.

6. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Temple Fork Outfitter (

Thanks for the report Richard, it is real encouraging. Last week at a local lake that is very high because of recent rains, I backed into the water much further up in the weeds than I am used to. The tip of my favorite 5wt caught and snapped due to my awkwardness while walking backward in fins. As soon as I got home I fired up the computer and ordered a new TFO Pro 5wt to replace it. My favorite fly shop in Oregon is sending it out tax free and shipping free so soon I'll be able to brag up TFOs myself. Ive

7. Bill Douglas

Bill Douglas blue collar dirtbag

Media:
    Temple Fork Outfitter (

I have a 3 and 5wt that I like, too. My biggest problem with them is trying to prevent my old man from swiping them. I think flyrods are a lot like cars. Sometimes you are paying quite a bit for status and brand.

I emailed TFO's head sales/customer service dude the other day and finagled a free hat out of him. I don't know why I'm so proud of myself about that, but I am, LOL.
    Sometimes I'm like a kid!

8. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    Temple Fork Outfitter (

Hey guys,

I just got my TFO 8ft 4 wt Pro last week and am waiting for the 9ft 6wt Pro to make it out of backorder. I really like the 4wt. It's basically like the old TFO Western Series. Still a nice rod. It's a little faster and more responsive than their older 4-piece IM6 series, which I think has been discontinued. I can't wait to get the 4-piece 6wt, as it will replace my current 2-piece 6wt. The change to a faster rod should be interesting, as my 2-piece can shoot a considerable amount of line--despite my inexpertise. At least 70ft and as much as 80ft? Pretty good for a rod that goes for under $100!

9. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    Temple Fork Outfitter (

Hey Ive, I could set you up with a waterproof video camera and monitor for those awkward back ups...kind like the big rigs use...

Heh-heh-heh...

Roper,

Life goes on, enjoy it...

10. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Temple Fork Outfitter (

Yeah, thanks for the offer Roper. Once in a while the nut behind the wheel comes loose and the rods suffer for it. It could be worse though-the new rod will be here this week and the new tip arrives next week. Net result: some hurt feelings and the loss of a few bucks but I will end up with 2 nice 5wts. It's the American way-if one rod was good enough 2 will probably be even better. Ive

11. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Media:
    Home Page:
    Temple Fork Outfitter (

I can't say enough for them. Temple Fork is a great outfit and brings out some really fine rods, and finally at a price we ordinary mortals can afford. No wonder Lefty Kreh stands behind them.

I have two now; a Seven Weight and a Five Weight, in the "Signature Series" and they are sweet casters, with lots of speed and power, and lots of finesse. I especially like these Signature Series rods for their extra fine tapers, strength and finish, and the hardware is the best. I plan on working these rods to death.

And I already want a Temple Fork Spey rod too...

12. sportsman

sportsman Active Member

Temple Fork Outfitter (

Richard, WOW, for a moment I thought you might have gotten a new job! I picked up a TFO pro 9'6" 8wt. last fall. A really nice stick for $146. FYI: the warranty requires $25 to cover "handling/shipping", still not too bad. My next rod, 4 or 5 wt., will be ther same. Tight Lines!

13. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    Temple Fork Outfitter (

I'd recommend the Professional, just off-hand and not knowing you're casting skills and experience.

The TiCr is a very stiff and fast rod, and to maximize its performace, it requires the caster know how to load a rod quickly and be effective at double-hauling. And, candidly, I don't see that many folks that can double-haul that well. I like the TiCr in the 9 weight and above rods, for use in the warmwater salt, boat fishing, where there is a need for a lot of lifting power (the TiCr has a big ol' stout butt).

The Professional is a fast rod, and is not as stiff as the TiCr. It is, IMHO, more user-friendly. It's a 4 piece, which is convenient, and you save $60 over buying this than you would the TiCr. The $60 gets you that SA Bonefish line you'll need . . .

If you can live with a 2 piece rod, the Signature Series is a bargain! Nice looking, medium fast action, it's a fabulous rod for the money.

So, in a nutshell, I'd suggest the Professional.

I'm not sure where you can test-drive an 8 weight Professional, but if you can't find one to check out, I live in North Seattle and work in the Lynnwood area, and you are welcome to cast my 7 weight Professional rod if you want before taking the plunge for an 8 weight. :)

:thumb

14. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    Temple Fork Outfitter (

The T&T Horizon sticks are great-performing rods, but I disagree that they will cast circles around the TFO. If I characterize a Horizon rod as a 10, the Professional would be between an 8 and 9, and if we're talking 9 weights, the TiCr would be a strong 9. And, what's that Horizon cost? $600? And the TFO Pro is $150 and the TiCr is something like $225 or thereabouts. That means I could own a TFO Professional equipped with a new Bauer M5SL and new line for the equivalent price of the Horizon only. Hmmmm . . .

If we're talking rods casting circles around other rods, I'd put my GLX up against that Horizon any ol' day. :) (If we're casting floating lines, that is . . .).

15. Sparse Grey Hackle

Sparse Grey Hackle Member

Media:
    Temple Fork Outfitter (

"In fact, I used a 9wt TiCr in Costa Rica last week. "

Hmmm. "I fished Costa Rica last week..." Ain't no thang for Alpine Trout..

Sparse: Alpine Trout, where you going fishing next week?

AT: Uh, haven't really thought of it.

Sparse: Do you want to drive around the (509) to random-ass places and fish this weekend?

AT: Hmm. Es Poss-i-bley. Haven't decided if I am going to catch the Thursday night flight to Prague so I can catch some Marble Trout this weekend. Oh, by the way, do you know where I can find a Range Rover ride from Prague Internation Airport back into the mine fields of Balkans? I have to figure that detail out. On the other hand, I haven't fished Pass Lake in awhile. Sparse, I don't know what I'm doing yet. I'll let you know Thursday night. Ciao!

Dude, wouldn't it be sweet to be Alpine Trout? :7

Sparse

Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by.
    (Sir Izaak Walton)

16. worldanglr

worldanglr Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Temple Fork Outfitter (

Dude you're killin me. I almost fell on the floor on that one!

worldanglr
    http://www.worldanglr.com/

"Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life."

- Jack Kerouac

17. BAPTIE

BAPTIE New Member

Media:
    Temple Fork Outfitter (

The Evening Hatch is going to start carrying Thomas & Thomas rods...I'm stoked.

18. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    T&T rods now . . .

BAPTIE, I'll be interested to see if you actually buy one. Post here if you do.

There is a reason shops quit carrying them; it's because they don't sell out here in the West. I haven't been to the Evening Hatch in a while, but they used to carry T&T (by the way, I love the Evening Hatch. IMHO, it has the most diverse and wide selection of rod brands and reels, but I digress . . . )

Most of the T&T rods are at the similar price point as WIntston, Loomis, and Sage rods, and the latter are West Coast rods not East Coast rods like the T&T. Seems like rod preferences (unless it's Sage) are often regional.

T&T make beautiful rods, but they just don't sell out here where there are so many comparable, and arguably superior, rod options at similar prices.

:thumb

19. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    T&T rods now . . .

>Most of the T&T rods are at the similar price point as
    >WIntston, Loomis, and Sage rods, and the latter are
    >West Coast rods not East Coast rods like the T&T.
    >Seems like rod preferences (unless it's Sage) are often
    >regional.

I'm still not selling my T&T Horizon :-D