Tent and sleeping bag advice needed

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Sean Beauchamp, Jan 7, 2010.

1. looking for input on a moderately priced tent and sleeping bag for winter camping.

tent- must stay dry! it'll be spending a lot of time on the coast in the rain and snow and "other" weather the OP dishes out. a tiny 1 man mummy tent wont cut it, im fancy and sleep on a cot. :clown:

bag- must be warm. not worried about weight and pack size, just warmth and price.

im keepin an open mind on overall price but im not lookin at top shelf stuff. just something thats gonna get the job done. thanks guys...

2. Tents from The North Face are reliably dry, as long as you get one of the upper end models. Even their cheap models are good quality, but the "4 season" tents are excellent

Best sleeping bags I've found are at Marmot Mountain Works, Bellevue WA and onlne

3. I've always had great experiences with Mountain Hardware tents and bags.

4. PM sent...boom...roasted!

5. something tells me sean's trying to get laid off so he can bum it in forks until april

6. Posted something about needing a tent with enough room for a bunch of dudes...needing to stay dry...and being fancy. Sounds like a train wreck.:rofl:

7. For sleeping bags I like the ones from a small company called Wiggy's. They use a special fill material that is lightweight and sure keeps me warm in super cold temperatures. Have a look at their selection at wiggys.com.

8. any 0 degree synthetic bag u can find (cheapest wins)

as for the tent... i have no idea because all the tents i can think of arnt really designed for a cot. If you really wanna camp in comfort and stay dray set up a tarp over the tent. and make sure ur in a spot that the water drains. that way its dry around the tent and u can use that dry are outside the tent for gearing up, takin shoes on and off, etc.

9. I picked up a 0 degree REI down bag years ago and haven't regretted it! It's a mummy bag and plenty warm. My REI Half Dome tent does okay in the rain, but I would look for something more bombproof. I would like to get a quality 4 season tent, but my tent has been going strong for years and I have another cheap Coleman tent and cot I picked up a couple of years ago for summer camping. Don't know know what price point you're looking at, but Cabelas has some pretty good deals, if you don't want to pay for a North Face or comparable tent. Regardless of what you get, make sure to seal the seams of the tent and put a footprint pad down or at least a tarp.

Bill

10. Eureka sleeping bags... And check out Rei they've got a nice 4 season tent on sale for 169... Well built 2 man put one together last week but opted for a 3 season...

11. backpacker magazine had there editors choice awards for 2009. check them out online search"Editors' Choice Awards 2009"
    you can still pick up the issue at the library if you want.

12. Sean.......my cot set up is a low budget rectangular flannel bag with a good quality wool blanket pinned to the top. I got a really nice swiss army wool blanket at my local army surplus store. The wool blanket adds some dampness protection to the top of of bag and and is removable for summer camping. You can get big giant pins at sewing stores. Makes for a versatile summer/winter set-up that's not too expensive.

13. I got my tent from costco 3 years ago and it's just 3 season I don't think it would hold for 4. but The size is just right for a couple of guys and cots etc. Its 12 by 14 and a dome style. My cot is an oversize cot and a full rectangular bag. Sorry I can't recomend brands for you but size and style and other things are a help too. Be sure you seal all seams befor use and get good stakes and use them. I also have a couple of small rugs to put by the doors and thats a big help. I also always cut a piece of plastic for a foot print so that it fits right and is strong enough. A tarp and poles to hold it are a very good Idea forthe areas that have bad rains and always take enough rope or ropes. I love my Northface mummy bag for backpacking but woulld get a retangular bag with synthetic fill like Polar guard to use in the rainy season. I also have a stool or small chair in the tent for dressing or what ever.With the new led lights it's easy to have a light that hangs from the tents top. If you are comfortable it's a lot easier to put up with rain and wind untill you can get out and fish again. good luck! Bob

14. Sean- http://www.sierratradingpost.com/ When buying a tent you'll want one with a seperate entry area(vestibule), so you can shed your went clothes, leave boots.. etc outside of the area you want dry.

top shelf stuff for 2/3 or less the price.

or check craigslist, i saw a Bibler tent for like 1/3 of normal price on there the other day.

If you need something for next weekend I have something you can borrow for a bit, and a waterproof sleeping bag shell as well. lmk.

15. http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/StoreCatalogDisplay?storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1 Take a look at these guys. I've given them a fair amount of buisness over the years with top notch service and products in return. Kelty or Ureka tents are about the same--well made and pretty cheap, although they are 3 season tents. Not sure about the 4 season value , they carry them and the price is higher, but the bottom line is this: if your rainfly is saturated, your tent just became a bathtub! A poly tarp goes a long way in preventing that! If you want the drop dead security of a REAL 4 season tent, head to REI and buck up for a MountainHardware. Another thing to consider is the size of tent you buy seeing how you use a cot: a 2-3 man won't be long enough without touching the ends of the tent, and if you touch the ends long enough, you get wet. Campmor sells a lot of brands of sleeping bags...I've always bought the Slumberjack's with no regrets. I've slept on the ground alongside the Yakima River in December in a 20 degree bag and was fine, but it was the top end bag. Just me, but I've always bought a moderately priced tent, a $5.00 tarp and spent more on the bag!

16. sean, im seeing people saying get a 4 season tent in this thread. i do NOT recomend it for the OP. get a three season. 4 season tents to not breath nearly as well and you WILL wake up to lots of condensation in ur tent, esp on a humid night.

If you are planning on doing any ski touring or alpine climbing, a four season tent is a reasonable investment, but please do not get one for camping out on the hoh!

again, i promise im not stearing u wrong here, but u want a cheap synthetic bag (0 degrees) and maybe a couple army surplus wool blankets :)

as for a tent look for something that a) fits ur cot and b) isnt to expensive. the rain fly should provide 100 percent coverage as well! this is important as many cheap tents have rain flys that just dont cut it!

Also, if ur gonna basecamp in the olympics your seriously gonna want a couple nice tarps to hang over ur living area. itll make ur life 100 percent better.

17. also, i recomend the trading post. i went to there showroom and was amazed. real good store at real good prices for new gear.

18. Dustin's advice is solid. No single wall, 4-season tent for camping on the peninsula. You will get wet from condensation. You're base camping, so you want something as big as you can get (afford). I would hesitate to try penny pinching on the tent (staying dry depends on the tent) but with some reading and question asking you'll come up with something that'll do it for you, at your price. For extended stays, rigging a tarp above the tent is an excellent idea. A good tent will be waterproof for a long time, but if you do go cheap you'll stay drier. Use a footprint or tarp under the tent too. Adds a lot to waterproofness, plus it makes the floor of the tent last a lot longer. FYI, all of my tents have been North Face, Mountain Hardware and MSR. All have been waterproof for years. Personally, I think the MSR Hubba/Hubba Hubba/Mother Hubba series tents are some of the best designed tents you can get. May be more money than you wanna spend, but it'll be years of bombproof dryness.

Dustin's right about the sleeping bag too. Pricey down bags are for backpacking; they're lightweight and pack very small for their warmth rating. Synthetic fill bags are lots cheaper, heavier and bulkier. Since you care about warmth and not portability, this one's a no-brainer for you. Get a bag rated about 10 degrees F lower than you temps you expect to sleep in. Don't worry much about getting a bag that's too warm. You can always ventilate, or open it up and sleep with a blanket. One thing you need to do (if you're not already) is insulate yourself from the air below you. On a cot, there's no barrier between you and the cold air beneath you. Get a cheap foam pad to sleep on and you'll increase your warmth rating dramatically. This is important!! Without a pad, you can be warm and comfortable on top, but you'll always be cold and clammy on the bottom. Leads to a rough sleep, not conductive to building energy for fighting winter steelhead.

19. lots of good advice. thanks guys!

20. Bill has hit it on the nose. Good ole military mummy bags are awesome (used my grandfathers outside all the time)..