tents, sleeping bags and such....

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Chef, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Don Barton

Don Barton Member

Media:
    When car camping, I have and regularly use a low rise cot. It keeps me 6 to 8 inches off the floor of my tent. Use of a thermarest pad is essential because air circulates below the cot.

Even tho the cot fabric is very taught, it does sag ever so slightly and this keeps my thermarest and my body centered in the cot. It keeps me from rolling off the cot and into the tent walls which results in the wrong kind of wet spot.

Here is a link to the type of cot I use: http://www.rei.com/product/772536

I have owed two different brands of this type of cot. The first came from REI. It was cheap and I am about 250 lbs. The cot failed on its first use. My second cot came from Sierra Trading. It cost less and is much stronger and has served me very well.

2. Slipstream

Slipstream Active Member

Chef, I have to get my 2 cents in on this one. I bought an Eureka tent in the mid seventies called a "Portage Special", it was 7'X7' floor and it was 6' tall. I refuse to squirm into my clothes in the morning, I'm 6'2" and this tent was great. I still have it but it leaked too much at Coffee Pot lake this spring. After thirty plus years it was time to replace it. Eureka doesn't make that model anymore, but they do have a model called the "Timberline Outfitter 6". Floor is like 8'6"X10'3" and it is 6'3" tall with dual doors and plenty of ventilation. It goes up easy and has a full rain fly. I set up it once this summer and it took a 20 mph wind for two days no problem. I cried that it was $400.00, but my old tent cost about $110.00 back in the 70's. Probably about the same considering inflation. I'm pretty sure that it will last the rest of my camping life and then some. I highly reccomend it. SS

3. Gregg Lundgren

Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

Media:
    I'll kind of chime-in with Slipsteam. I have the Eureka "Timberline SQ Outfitter 4". A step down in size with a single door, but great high/low ventilation. Only used three times so far, but I think it is great for one or two people to sleep in. So easy to set-up. They did a major upgrade to this Timberline model last year I believe, where they put to use customer suggestions for improvement on a decades old, tried and true design. I looked around and there were a lot of great reviews for car camping!

4. Ray

Ray Active Member

Big Agnes. Excellent quality tents, sleeping bags, and sleeping pads for big dudes. www.bigagnes.com

5. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    It sounds like you're gonna be car camping and not backpacking, that you're a big guy, and that you'll be camping with your wife periodically. If that's true, here's a couple of suggestions.

First, don't waste your time looking at tents you can't stand up in. If you're not backpacking then weight isn't an issue, so who cares how light your tent is? You'd have to be a contortionist to put on or change clothes in a backpacking tent that's only 4 feet high in the center, so get one that's tall enough for you to stand up in.

Second, don't ruin your back (or your marriage!) by sleeping on the cold, hard ground. Buy one of the nifty folding aluminum cots from Campmor or REI and you'll be MUCH more comfortable at night. Just remember that you'll still need an insulating pad between your sleeping bag and the cot to keep warm on both sides.

K

6. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    An air mattress holds the "cold" and freezes your butt off as the cold is transferred to your body, unless you have a hell thick pad over it before putting your bag on it. Avoid that is my suggestion.

7. Bob Jones

Bob Jones Still truckless now farther away

Media:
    Last seen in Portland Or. via Tacoma,Puyallup, Wa.
    I throw my airbed on my cot now and haven't been cold but I could take one of my back packing pads, closed cell foam and throw it on top of the mattress and be fine. Having the cot and mattress sure is easier on my arthritis. I got the larger tent and can have the bed and a chair so that getting dressed and changing is all easier. Happy fishin!!!

8. jhemphill

jhemphill New Member

Media:
    here is a good option if you might be thinking of looking at a hammock http://www.junglehammock.com/ I do a lot of hiking and the nx-150 is what i am going to get for next year. I know you said its mostly for car camping but its another option you might want to check out

9. Bob Jones

Bob Jones Still truckless now farther away

Media:
    Last seen in Portland Or. via Tacoma,Puyallup, Wa.
    Chef another couple of things that probably shoud be mentioned . don't buy a tent that has poles only in the four corners. any good wind against a good sized tent wil tear it to pieces after a few trips.The poles need to be very strong and countering to keep things from giving too much. The other thing not mentioned is that even with the taped seams the best thing to do is get some sealer to spread on all the stitching, and do it before you go out the first time. It seems that they will all have at least a small leak some where and no matter how prepared you are the little things will get you. TRy to carry a small tube of sealer with you too so that if it ever does spring a leak you can seal it. and during the day open things wide up so the air will freshe'n and dry things out. We will put up a clothes line and hang our sleeping bags inside out to keep them fresh for each night. good luck Bob

10. Bill Aubrey

Bill Aubrey Active Member

Chef,

My 2 cents worth. I'm 6'1" and over 220 and just too damn lazy and ornery to sleep on the cold hard ground any more. I still have and love a 3 person Sierra designs tent, but about 4 years ago I bought a North Face 6 person that I can stand up in and set up a very comfortable cot in (that doubles as a guest bed in the house).(similar to this http://www.rei.com/product/812206). On that, I place a thick thermarest and a LLBean 0* rectangular down bag. Sleep city, even with a bad back and neck. I set up a small folding table and it is like having a cabin. It got down to the teens in Yellowstone last August and I was snug. Then I went to Glacier and got battered by very heavy rain and really high winds for 4 or 5 days. The tent didn't give an inch and I had not 1 drop of water in it. Go to the REI flagship store and check out the 6 person tents. They are not that much more obtrusive than the 4 and your wife will thank you for it. REI will have its semi-annual 20% off 1 item for members coming up. Look at Big Agnes Big House 6--great tent with plenty of room. I would buy BA, North Face, Mountain Hardware, MSR or REI in a heartbeat. And stay with the idea of freestanding if you can. It's just easier. And, the really great thing about REI--if you have trouble with it down the road, just bring it back. They really do guarantee satisfaction. And, you are pretty sure to get a sales guy who will shoot straight and is very knowledgeable, at least in my experience. I shop them whenever I can.

11. Chris Banta

Chris Banta Member

chef,

i've had the cabelas guide model tent for about 5 yrs now. its pretty heavy so backpacking would be out of the question, but the tent is really well made and pretty much bulletproof. iv'e camped in some of the worst possible conditions and this tent passed with flying colors.

12. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

I'm 8 years into a cabelas outback lodge, best all around tent I have ever had. tall enough to stand in plenty of room, super fast & easy set up, I mainly bought the tent for summer time river float trips with the honey, But I've used the tent on a 3 week fly in hunting trip to the middle fork of the salmon river in november , I heat the tent when needed with a kerosun heater .

13. Bill Aubrey

Bill Aubrey Active Member

Chef, Did you see the REI tent in yesterday's classifieds?

14. Utah

Utah Member