TFO BVK 9'6" 6 weight for SRC?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by 9iron, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Hi, first post, been reading a while. Two of my daughters live in the puget sound area, one in Belfair, one in Silverdale. Will be visiting there frequently and quite possibly moving to the Kitsap region in the near future. I plan to do some SRC fishing on the beaches. I'm not new to fly fishing but am new to beach fishing. I do have a fair bit of experience casting shooting heads and spey rods.

I read the 6 weight shootout that Gig Harbor Fly Shop put up on their blog, but they seemed to focus mostly on the higher end rods. I wonder if anyone here has used the TFO BVK 9 1/2 foot 6 weight rod for SRC's and what you thought of the rod. Looks like it might be a good rod for the situation, and only $250. Thinking about an Outbound short with intermediate tip.

Any opinions on this rod, or other $200-$400 rods in the 9 1/2 foot 6 SRC configuration greatly appreciated.

2. I'm a huge BVK fan. They are a fantastic series at a good price. I've been using a 9' 6wt BVK in the salt for two years without a problem. It's a fantastic rod for Searun cutthroat and salmon, and I've put it to the test several times on big fish. I fish a Rio Outbound short floater on it and it shoots forever. I will say that I use this rod exclusively for my floating line stuff. My Orvis Hydros 6wt is noticeably stronger and handles weighted clousers and an intermediate tip OBS a bit better.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

3. I don't know much about the TFO lineup of rods but since casting Doug Rose's Clouser rod with a sink tip line, I decided I need one of these rids sometime soon.

Doug had a 5wt with fighting butt if I remember correctly.

http://www.flyfishusa.com/rods/tfo/tfo-clouser.htm

4. That would be an excellent beach rod. The 6wt isn't really needed for the fish, but I would rather have too much rod than not enough when the wind picks up. I have a 5 wt 9ft BVK that I bought for trout fishing, but it's pretty much replaced my 6wt Z-Axis for beach fishing. The BVK are really great rods. I cast a 6wt Outbound (regular length) floater on my 5wt BVK and they match up great.

5. As mentioned, a 6wt really isn't needed for SRC's. That being said, I think a 9'6" 6 wt is the most versatile beach rod wt and length.
    Not only will it cover you for searuns, but it will easily handle coho and pinks if you decide to pursue them.
    I've never used a BVK, but the other TFO rod models I own have been excellent values. Their customer service is top notch as well if needed.
    Good luck out there.
    SF

6. Thanks guys, all of the replies help a great deal. I understand that a 6 weight is maybe a bit of a meaty rod for fighting the fish, but it often becomes essential for casting into the wind.

I'm going to go for it! Thanks!

7. You won't be disappointed with that BVK!

I just got an 8 wt. with a Rio OB short intermediate. I'll add a floating line soon.

Bought it for the larger ocean silvers and chum here when they show up but am also taking it to Kauai in September.

Broke it in yesterday and it cast very well even trying to backcast into a 15 m.p.h. wind!

8. I love my all around cutthroat/salmon BVK 6wt 10ft rod. A joy to cast on beach all day and I like green color on rod. Mine also has a fighting which is nice to have.

9. Stonefish speaks big medicine.

Unless you're chasing chums, that 6 weight will work fine for you all year from the beaches. It's also a great summer run steelhead rod, too.

The BVK is a great value and, as Stonefish noted, TFO's customer service is some of the tops in the industry.

10. You got it. A person could catch searuns on a beefy 4 weight and be just fine, but it's the fishing conditions, the lines, and the flies used (most of the time) that make the 6 weight an all-around great choice if you're going to do the one-rod-quiver approach.

Jim Wallace likes this.
  11. 9 Iron, just bought a 9' 6 wt a couple of months ago. I use it mainly for throwing small to medium streamers on the lake and river with a Teeny T 150. It throws great, has good back bone, but it is still sensitive. Great rod for a great price and will do everything a more expensive rod will do IMHO.

12. T150? That seems on the light side for that stick...it would love to cast a T200. I cast Streamer Express 250's on my 6 weights, and my TCR (of course, that 6 weight is really like an 8 weight) loves Streamer Express 300's or Airflo 40+ 7 or 8 weight lines.

13. Typo....meant T-250

14. I would highly recommend you check out a Reddington predator.